Honored Contributor

Volunteering at non no-kill shelters

I'm recently retired and recently moved, and thought I might volunteer at a local animal shelter, primarily with kitties. There was no shortage of no-kill shelters where I used to live, so I didn't give that aspect a thought - until I started looking up the shelters nearby me.

There are two shelters - an ASPCA and a county shelter. They are both kill shelters, though I assume the ASPCA much less than the county.

I honestly don't think I could bear it if I came in one day and an animal that I'd been feeding, petting, loving and giving my positive energy to had been euthanized. It would severely depress me, and I couldn't face going back and having it happen again.

Yes, I understand about making whatever time an animal has left the best for them - I do get that - but how does one deal with the fact that an animal they'd grown fond of is killed for no other reason than to empty a cage, or they'd been there "too long." I also understand about old age, health issues and severe behavior issues - those would not devastate me like the other scenario would.

Anyone here been in this position? How did you cope? I think I would care "too much", but a part of me has love to give and wants to. Should I call the ASPCA and talk to their volunteer coordinator about my feelings?

I'm leaving the house for a while, but I'll be back in a few hours to read responses.

Thanks for your input.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Re: Volunteering at non no-kill shelters

I understand your concerns.  I volunteer at a local humane society, they do not claim to be "no kill" but they do not/will not put down healthy, adoptable animals.  Even if someone brings one in that is perfectly fine but requests it, they won't do it.  So yes, they are essentially no kill.  They won't use the term "no kill" because it means that some shelters/rescue simply do not kill.  Ever.  Even if an animal may need to be.

I would definitely call the volunteer coordinator and voice your concerns.  I would assume there is a volunteer orientation that will also cover this.

Respected Contributor

I have no solutions for you; I totally agree with you.  My local animal shelter is top-notch, but they do kill unwanted/unadopted pets.  I understand that, but I have decided to not volunteer there for exactly the same reasons you stated.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

You feel exactly as I do!  I completely understand about getting attached to an animal and the fear of coming in and the unspeakable has occurred.  I went to our local county shelter a couple years ago with my mom shortly after her dog passed away.  She didn't get one there......but I did!  We adopted our third dog, Betty from the county.  I later learned that the county will euthanize animals that have been there too long. I always wonder what would have happened to Betty if I didn't adopt her.  Not only that, but the staff at the county shelter were less than friendly.  Many people have complained about that.  And what does it mean when an animal on their website is listed as "transferred?"  Transferred where?  Something tells me I don't want to know.   Sorry to ramble on but this is something that is also very dear to me.  I feel every animal deserves a safe, happy home.  I hope you are able to find a place to volunteer.  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Julie928, not knowing anything about the county shelter you are referencing I can only hope "transferred" means the same as it does in my area where there are rescue groups that will take in an adoptable animal that is scheduled for euthanasia for no reason other than to make room.  These lucky ones are "transferred" to the rescue.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

@Marp ~ Thank you for the explanation ~ that is most likely what it means (hopefully).  I suppose I could just ask but I'd get upset if it happens to be the worst scenario.  This is coming from a woman who pulled over after a storm the other day to place a bird's nest back in a tree.  The nest was laying on the ground and all I wanted to do was help.  I was too late ~  the baby birds had already passed.  I actually cried when I saw that.  The reason I bring this up is this is a prime example of how sensitive I am when it comes to animals.  I can't handle it so I totally get where the OP is coming from...

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Julie928, not knowing anything about the country shelter you are referencing I can only hope "transferred" means the same as it does in my area where there are rescue groups that will take in an adoptable animal that is scheduled for euthanasia for no reason other than to make room.  These lucky ones are "transferred" to the rescue.

That is what I think also. There are a number of rescues in my area that have an agreement with shelters from other areas of adoptable pets. And someone drives to the other state and pick up the pets for an adoption event. Or sometimes they arrange for a relay of the animals. In fact this weekend is an adoption event for a local rescue. Last one I attended the animals were from Alabama and I live in Pennsylvania. 

They work so hard to help out as many pets as they can. That is why whenever they have a fund raising event, I make sure I lend my support or make donations throughout the year.

Honored Contributor

I've been an animal lover since I exited my mother's womb.  I favor the Michigan AntiCruelty Society versus the bigger Michigan Humane Society.  When I was in 7th grade, I interviewed the lady who ran the MACS for some assignment or school paper.  She looked at me and said, you would be a great volunteer.

Even at the age of 12, lol, I looked her in the eye and said, wait, you think it would be a good idea for me to walk the dogs and play with the cats and then come in one day to find out that they were euthanized.  Are you trying to give me a nervous breakdown?

I promised then (I'm almost 54) they'd have my financial support.  I kept my word.

For me, I couldn't do it when I was 12 and sadly, don't have the nerves for it now.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Find a cat rescue group or start your own.

There are also groups who feed ferals.

They also trap them to spay or neuter, then release.

I don't think I could volunteer anywhere, kill or no-kill!   The way unwanted cats & dogs are treated is horrible(not by shelters), I would be heartbroken every day.

You'll find your purpose.

@Moonchilde wrote:

I'm recently retired and recently moved, and thought I might volunteer at a local animal shelter, primarily with kitties. There was no shortage of no-kill shelters where I used to live, so I didn't give that aspect a thought - until I started looking up the shelters nearby me.

There are two shelters - an ASPCA and a county shelter. They are both kill shelters, though I assume the ASPCA much less than the county.

I honestly don't think I could bear it if I came in one day and an animal that I'd been feeding, petting, loving and giving my positive energy to had been euthanized. It would severely depress me, and I couldn't face going back and having it happen again.

Yes, I understand about making whatever time an animal has left the best for them - I do get that - but how does one deal with the fact that an animal they'd grown fond of is killed for no other reason than to empty a cage, or they'd been there "too long." I also understand about old age, health issues and severe behavior issues - those would not devastate me like the other scenario would.

Anyone here been in this position? How did you cope? I think I would care "too much", but a part of me has love to give and wants to. Should I call the ASPCA and talk to their volunteer coordinator about my feelings?

I'm leaving the house for a while, but I'll be back in a few hours to read responses.

Thanks for your input.

Frequent Contributor

.    Do what you can do. Thats all the Universe expects of you. As an earlier poster said, sending money is an excellent way to help. Some of us are good at fostering, some at dog walking, some at going in and helping at the shelter. Some of us adopt and provide homes for several animals. I have a tender heart, I can look at any medical or surgical procedure without flinching, but I cannot bear to see an animal hurt. So I found a no kill shelter to foster for. None of this is easy. Those of us who help in any way are on the front lines, cleaning up the messes that irresponsible or stupid people create, causing the animals to suffer. Once when I lost an entire litter of beautiful kittens to illness a very wise woman told me " honey you can't save them all". We all just do what we can.