Esteemed Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter -- 2.0

Saturday report:  Considering all the animal news here on the board -- from Tissyanne's Sugarbear's battle with kidney failure to Karnerblue's Buddy's battle with cancer -- and of course in the world at large with the horrible death of Cecil the lion, today's Schmoo Tale is about thrones.

Schmoo established his in our home on day one in his life with us, choosing as his throne our master bedroom bed, as many of you know.

But he, like so many of our animals in the wild or in our homes, had the capacity to show compassion and more -- to share.  So over time, as in the photo below, he allowed Sophie to share his throne ... as long as he rested on the highest part of the bed itself, his elevated orthopedic bed. 

It's good to be the king.  And all of them -- leonine, feline, canine -- all of them -- should be the king:

Schmoo throne.jpg

Trusted Contributor

I love the picture of your DH feeidng MrSchmoo. Our feral kitty Goldie likes to be fed her kibble 2 pieces at a time. I can't sit out in the heat and sun long so my DH does it.Sits for 15 minutes feeding her 2 pieces at a time and I think that is patience for sure but these precious darlings deserve it.

MrSchmoo had a heart as big as he was in size,sharing with his sister,what a sweetheart

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Sunday report:  My doctor wants me to get better sleep in preparation for my knee replacement in the fall.  A Type A, driven person with osteoarthritis and a back condition, I've never been a good sleeper.  My mother said I refused to nap when I was young; I didn't want to miss something.

Schmoo?  A champion, AAA-grade, deep-dish napper extraordinaire. Snoozing in all its forms became his Olympic decathlon.  Ironically, I took better naps when I took them with Schmoo. 

So my doc gave me a sleeping pill in low dose to try, which works, but I dream more while on it. Last night, I dreamed that Schmoo told me at nap time that I had not tucked him in enough -- that I let his toes stick out and he didn't like it.

Lo and behold this evening, I came upon a photo that seemed to bear this out -- except the Champion Napper was still able to get some shut-eye despite my shortcomings:

Schmoo tuck toes.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Schmoo tuck toes.jpg

Sunday Evening Greetings

What a totally pawsome photo of Schmoo and his pink toepads!

I'm so elated that the news of Jericho's (Cecil's "brother") murder by a poacher has turned out to be false and that he's still very much alive...protecting Cecil's precious cubs and the rest of their pride! :-)

Wishing Sammycat,DH,KS and The Clan a very peaceful night.

See you in the morning!

--------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Trusted Contributor

Sammy I LOVE the pciture of DH feeding our Precious Schmoo. The love he is showing just pours out of that photo. I too understand feeding one kibble at a time. When Sweet Joey is not in the mood for his puppy food, I slide down on the floor and we have a little routine that we have to go through to get him excited to eat and sometimes we are off to the races one little bite at a time and soon his tummy is feeling better with some puppy food and a little chicken tossed in for good measure. We are all so blessed to be given the chance to love "our babies" . Tissyanne, I didnt realize we were almost neighbors Smiley Happy BJ- Lifting you in prayer that this week will bring you some comfort from your pain. ((Hugs dear Friends))
Honored Contributor

I am a deep dish sleeper like Mr. Schmoo. My DH says I wrap up in a quilt like a tamale, and sleep for hours. So Sammycat, take the cue from me and your boy, deep dish it, and you will be plenty rested by October. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Monday report:    Lately, I've been hitting "mini-road blocks" in writing the Schmoo Tales. Sometimes, writing about a tough time stops me in my tracks. And when I write a fun part, I wonder-- does it come across as hilarious as it was in real life? And most importantly:  Can I make him come alive so that everyone sees themselves and the special relationship they have with their pets through our story?

In particular, I was having trouble describing him physically in a way that reflected his true essence.  Crazy, right?  Who knew him better than me? Who had more photos?

Still, there I was, blocked.  So to "unblock" me, DH prescribed a trip to a bookstore, where I picked up some classics -- from James Herriott's "Cats" book to Aesop's Fables to Thoreau's Walden.  I read a few key passages of these great books when we got home.  

Then, I closed my eyes:  and there in my heart and memory a portrait of my beloved cat  true and strong and magnificent came to my mind's eye, a portrait so clear it made me smile and cry at once. And then the words flowed with no problem at all, words that made DH say:  "Now that's our boy."

All this to say, in the quiet moments and in the playful ones, too, take a good look at the furry ones you love.  Because it's the portrait knit together of all those little moments in your mind's eye that's more powerful and lasting than any photo could ever capture:

Schmoo closeup 3.jpg

Honored Contributor

Sammycat1 wrote:

Monday report:    Lately, I've been hitting "mini-road blocks" in writing the Schmoo Tales. Sometimes, writing about a tough time stops me in my tracks. And when I write a fun part, I wonder-- does it come across as hilarious as it was in real life? And most importantly:  Can I make him come alive so that everyone sees themselves and the special relationship they have with their pets through our story?

In particular, I was having trouble describing him physically in a way that reflected his true essence.  Crazy, right?  Who knew him better than me? Who had more photos?

Still, there I was, blocked.  So to "unblock" me, DH prescribed a trip to a bookstore, where I picked up some classics -- from James Herriott's "Cats" book to Aesop's Fables to Thoreau's Walden.  I read a few key passages of these great books when we got home.  

Then, I closed my eyes:  and there in my heart and memory a portrait of my beloved cat  true and strong and magnificent came to my mind's eye, a portrait so clear it made me smile and cry at once. And then the words flowed with no problem at all, words that made DH say:  "Now that's our boy."

All this to say, in the quiet moments and in the playful ones, too, take a good look at the furry ones you love.  Because it's the portrait knit together of all those little moments in your mind's eye that's more powerful and lasting than any photo could ever capture:

Schmoo closeup 3.jpg

Sammycat...

Absolutely beautiful...both your words as well as the photo of Schmoo.

I practice your sentiment every day with Tabitha,Samantha,Olivia,Henry and Jack...the precious rescue kitties who currently grace my life... just as I did with those beloved kitties who now reside at The Bridge.

Wishing everyone a peaceful night.

--------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Honored Contributor

Sammycat,

So beautifully written. Mr. Schmoo will guide you each paw of the way to the completion of his book. 

Everyone enjoy your day.

Trusted Contributor

Sammy, what a wonderful picture you posted of Precious Schmoo.  That captures him to his soul and back.

Have a blessed day Friends (Hugs)