Respected Contributor

About 10 months ago I noticed that my sweet Violet had a running eye.  Took her to the vet who said that she has a feline herpes virus and prescribed Enisyl-F Lysine Treats.  Gave her 6/day and she really loved them.  The eye was all cleared up within a week, but she needs to get these treats forever.  They are very costly, but I went ahead and ordered 5 bags with one lasting about 5-6 weeks.

Now she doesn't want to eat them anymore.  I let it slide because I would toss them out each day.  So now her eye is running again.  I started giving them to her again after giving her a bit of her regular food.  On the first day she didn't touch them until around 3 a.m. the next morning at which time she must have been starving.  On the second day she again waited all day but finally ate them around 9 p.m.  So, yesterday, on day 3 she decided to eat them around 3 p.m.   But today I am again waiting for her to eat them.

I have decided to keep this up in the hopes that she will figure out that if she doesn't eat her treats, she won't get food.  Don't know what else to do.

By the way, her eye has all cleared up already.

Trusted Contributor

Re: That Cat!!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited ]

Hi Clem, I had a cat that had feline herpes and I used to buy lysine powder at GNC and mix it in his food, as per my vet.  He never hesitated to eat , so I'm assuming he didn't taste it in there.  Good luck! 

Respected Contributor

@CLEM  I, too, have a cat with feline herpes virus.  She's a finicky eater to begin with and wouldn't eat the treats at all.  I tried several different ones and she turned her nose up to them.  So, I too went and bought Lysine powder and tried mixing it with her food but she must have sensed a difference and wouldn't eat the food with it in it.

So, someone online had a similar problem with her cat and suggested I mix the powder with a tiny bit of butter...then smear it on her front paw area because they can't stand anything on their paws.  Sure enough, she licks it right off and problem solved!

I purchased the Lysine powder especially for cats on Amazon.. It comes with a tiny measuring scoop inside the container.  I now use it twice a week as a preventative.  So far, so good..

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella@Tori3569  I wish I could mix powder in her food, but she will only eat dry food.  Also, I won't be able to put it on her paws because I am not able to catch her.  Last time I had to take her to the vet, a technician actually came here to catch her and she had a hard time.  That little bugger is so fast and smart, but I won't give in now and she just has to eat the treats (which she actually loved for a while) before she gets fed.  She will eat them if she gets hungry enough.

Honored Contributor

One of my cats has it too but he's not on them every day. I only give them to him when he starts showing symptoms. He's almost 6 and I can't remember the last time he needed them. It's been ages. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Thanks for all your responses.  That cat prefers to go hungry instead of eating these treats.  So I have decided to order the Lisyne powder.  I will try giving her a little soft canned food and mix the powder in.  Hope she will go for it.