Respected Contributor

Teeth Cleaning Treats for Dogs

Do you give your dog teeth cleaning treats instead of having his teeth cleaned by a vet?

(i.e., Greenies, Denta-Bone, etc.)

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: Teeth Cleaning Treats for Dogs

I prefer to smear enzymatic dog toothpaste on their teeth every night.  They don't like to have their teeth brushed, so I just put some on my finger and rub it on their teeth.  It works to remove the tartar  while they sleep and it freshens their breath.  I get the chicken flavor so they don't object too much.  Treats are ok, but my dog was gaining weight.

Respected Contributor

Good evening.  Funny you should ask about this tonight as we just had our fur baby's teeth cleaned today.  At her yearly check-up on Monday, our vet said it was time.  She is 6 years old and has stage 1 periodontal disease.  At his advice two years ago, we have given her one Greenie per day.  Daily tooth-brushing and water treatment was also recommended, but we have not been good about that.  From what I know, teeth cleaning treats are no substitute for professional cleaning...they just help keep the teeth in better shape...

Honored Contributor

I've given my dogs a Greenie a day practically since they first came out.  My last dog lived to be almost 13 years old, had a Greenie every day since I got him at 12 weeks old, and never had to have his teeth cleaned.  My other dogs did have regular teeth cleanings but were also a breed that was susceptible to dental disease.  I do think the Greenies prevented them from needing their teeth cleaned every year.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know what our dog received before he came to live with us.  At first, I was giving him Milkbones and Dentastix, but they didn't do anything to keep his teeth clean.  Last year we had him in for a cleaning by the vet.  Since then, I've been giving him a Greenie every day.  I was due to buy a new box and the other day I found a Kirkland version at Costco.  They're a smaller size so my dog will need two to be the equivalent of his usual Greenie. Even at that, they're still a little less expensive.  I'm not committing to them yet, but have a box to try.

Trusted Contributor

I don't think anything substitutes for a dental cleaning by your vet.  I haven't always taken mine in that often, but now that I know better I try to do better.  

Respected Contributor

My dog was in for her annual checkup last week and needs her teeth cleaned.  I am always hesitant to have a pet put under anesthesia but I know dental disease can cause her more problems down the road.  She is 9 years old and some of her gums are inflamed.  I am trying to convince myself to get this done so I can start daily maintenance to keep it from getting bad again.  Any words of advice would be appreciated. 

Esteemed Contributor

My dog will be 3 years old at the end of this month .. She LOVES greenies ... after her lunch & dinner I give her one ( the small size) ..  I have been doing this for the last year and her breath & teeth are great!!!

Honored Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

My dog was in for her annual checkup last week and needs her teeth cleaned.  I am always hesitant to have a pet put under anesthesia but I know dental disease can cause her more problems down the road.  She is 9 years old and some of her gums are inflamed.  I am trying to convince myself to get this done so I can start daily maintenance to keep it from getting bad again.  Any words of advice would be appreciated. 

@Catty2 I understand your trepidation over this.  Anytime someone goes under general anesthesia, there's a healthy amount of fear or anxiety.  For me, it was a trade off - a short period of time on the anesthesia to ensure a healthier mouth and reduce health risks down the line vs. no anesthesia and who knows what might happen later.  God forbid anything would go wrong, but my vet keeps something close by, on all her cases, that in the event there is a problem she can get get them to come to within seconds.  Check to see if yours does the same thing.

Honored Contributor

While they can prevent or delay having to have your vet clean their teeth, they are no substitute for a professional cleaning.  I use them and also finger brush my dog's teeth as well as massaging the gums and these measures may prevent needing a professional cleaning.  There also are excellent toys that clean the teeth.  My former dog  was 12 and never needed a professional cleaning.