Super Contributor

Re: THE PET CHAT CORNER JULY 25 - JULY 31

Wow- sorry to read of your on going problems with cats and kittens, didn't you realize that most cats and kittens bite,scratch, meow,jump up on things, get kitty litter on the floor? Cats and kittens are living breathing animals, not people. I think that you are expecting too much and have to be realistic here.

What do you want?

If you want something that lays around and doen't need any care and is perfect, maybe a stuffed animal for you, or a gerbil or hamster, they stay in a cage?

Cats and kittens are not perfect, you need to relax, maybe your anxiety over these animals are causing more problems with their behavior?

Kittens and cats need play, that is why it is biting you! You have to spend more than 15 minutes! Your kitten is playing with you and wants to interact with you, tie a string with paper and drag it around behind you, get furry mice toys and throw them, kittens love to hunt, and right now your feet and hands are the target.

I hope this kitten learns how to be perfect by Saturday, it is sad that you are discouraged so quickly.

Negative reinforcement does not work, spraying the kitten with water and saying No all the time for behaviors that are normal, instead you must praise for the cute and mischevious behavior. They love snacks and gentleness, but most of all someone that loves them and accepts their antics.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not giving up on my kitty.  She is only 3 months old, and this is an adjustment for both of us.  I do play with her at least 15-20 minutes twice a day, using a Nekoflies wand toy.  I also play with her during the day, tossing toys for her.  I have many, many toys for her to play with (some on her own and some I toss).  I also give her treats.  I have a clicker, and when I use that, she knows I have treats for her.

I don't mind if she gets on any of the furniture (and she does), except for my dining room table (where I eat) and my kitchen counter.  I only sprayed her with water a couple times to discourage her from getting on the dining room table (recommended by the breeder).  I also don't care if she gets litter on the floors.  I have a Shark hand vacuum, and I use that to vacuum up the litter.

I recently read that if I'm petting my kitten, and she seems to get restless, to stop petting.  Sometimes, a person can over-stimulate a kitten by petting too long.  So today, when she wanted to get on my lap, I picked her up, and pet her until she started squirming a bit.  I just stopped petting, and she jumped down.  Now she is sleeping on the floor next to me.

I've just been concerned because she grabbed hold of my ankle and sunk her teeth in hard.   I had to pull her away, and I had deep bite marks on my ankle.  She also jumped up to bite my cheek and my hand, but that was only once. So far, she hasn't tried that again.  She may jump up on my leg, but she hasn't bitten me.  

I treat her very gently.  I talk to her, even if I'm just reading the newspaper to her.  She'll follow me from room to room, even if I go to the bathroom.

Honored Contributor

Hi everybody,

Honored Contributor

desertDi wrote:

≈^••^≈     mmrrrrooow..........I'm weak and exhausted.........and so hoarse I can hardly purr................Had to protect my mother from a HUGE furry kitty invader in the back yard.    That ole fella was so BOLD, he was flinging himself against the arcadia door.    I need a snooze now........  ♥♥♥♥♥ KTF

Hope that TOB got you a nice juicy roasted chicken (or two!!!) for being so brave!!!

Hugz

Tabitha,Samantha,Olivia,Henry and Jack

Cat HappyCat HappyCat HappyCat HappyCat Happy

-------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Honored Contributor

@beastielove    Dear Tabitha, Samantha, Olivia, Henry & Jack...........Well, mama cat went to the deli, but it was too early in the day for the chickens..........so she brought me some Black Forest ham, and real imported Swiss cheese.     MEEEE-YOWWWWW!!!!!!!    (I let her have some shreds of the leftovers).     ♥♥♥♥♥   Your cuz, The Fuzz

P.S. -- The  Furless Old Bat is really appreciative that I keep an eye on the back yard...................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Happy Saturday Honkers. I hope everyone has a nice weekend with access to air conditioning.

doxie

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good morning to all ... On this very rainy Sunday morning. doxie that story about the squirrel was priceless... you had me laughing and crying in my morning coffee. I could just imagine your delight when life come back to the little critter and he ran up your arm. Woman LOL what a wonderful story thanks for sharing it with all of us. Blessed Sunday to all and there fur children. [What does not kill us makes us stonger]