Respected Contributor

Re: THE PET CHAT CORNER FEB.8 - FEB. 14

Thanks again, ladies, for all your suggestions regarding bringing home a new (adult) cat.  

I have another question:  I was told that she sometimes jumps on counters, and I should use a water spray bottle if I see her do this.  If she wants to be in the kitchen with me (and I have a very, very tiny kitchen and not much counter space at all), I would like to train her to sit on my kitchen stool instead.  How would I go about training her to do this?  I don't want to be spraying her with water all the time.  Any other suggestions for keeping her off my counter?

Esteemed Contributor

@Lyn08 wrote:

Thanks again, ladies, for all your suggestions regarding bringing home a new (adult) cat.  

I have another question:  I was told that she sometimes jumps on counters, and I should use a water spray bottle if I see her do this.  If she wants to be in the kitchen with me (and I have a very, very tiny kitchen and not much counter space at all), I would like to train her to sit on my kitchen stool instead.  How would I go about training her to do this?  I don't want to be spraying her with water all the time.  Any other suggestions for keeping her off my counter?

I'm from the "anti-squirt bottle camp" because cats rarely respond to after-the-fact training for poor behavior.  You've got to reward them for the positive, i.e., so train her where you'd like to sit vs. where you don't want her to sit.

Here's a good write-up from the humane society on some tips:

humanesociety

All this being said, she's a cat.  Cats like to do what they like to do.  If you have space (and you may have mentioned you have something like this) get her a vertical cat tree to climb on. She's still a young cat and will have energy and need to be engaged in play time.  (I also forgot to write earlier if no one did -- a nightlight in a few rooms is welcoming when she first comes home to keep her oriented.  Cats have great night vision but it's not like they have night-vision googles.)

Another option -- place aluminum foil on the counter, then gently place her on it so she knows it's there (while you are still holding her) then pick her up and set her down. Most hate the feel of foil under their paws.  Don't leave the foil there, however, because she could jump up, slide and hurt herself by running into something.

Jackson Galaxy also has many excellent tips, too -- check him out.

Respected Contributor

@Sammycat1 - Thanks for the advice, Sammycat! I'll put Aluminum foil on the edge of the counter, pick her up and gently place her front paws on the foil, then set her down (then later remove the foil, when she's not in the room).  Should I give her a treat when I set her down on the floor?

If she continues to try to get up on the counter, I'll do this again, and maybe try to place her on the stool instead.  Maybe she will just want to be in the room with me.  I'm just worried she might want to jump onto the stove when I have food cooking there, and she could get burned (I have an electric smooth top stove).  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lyn08, It'd put a reasonably sized sheet of foil down and place her gently on it so all four paws touch it. She may actually clear the edge and needs to know what's up there on that entire surface if she lands there.

Work first, though, on the positive.  Pat the stool and encourage her to jump -- give her a small treat if she does it.  Show her all the places she CAN go in your home. 

As to the stove, don't leave it unattended and cook things that must be simmered for a period of time with lids on and placed on your back burners, not the front ones.

For now, concentrate on kitty proofing your home, getting the litter box and her feeding station squared away, provide ample toys and a cat tree/scratching post (especially in front of a window -- they love to look out windows!   WIth the right blend of activity, comfort, security and love, you two will figure out the rest. 

You might want to get a book on bringing a cat home, how to know if she's sick, etc.  It will serve you well.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Happy Honking Tuesday everyone.

doxie

Esteemed Contributor

Good morning! I wanted to wish everyone and there fur babies.... a Happy Valentines day! Godspeed!HeartHeart

Esteemed Contributor

Hi everyone!  Hope you're all staying warm. It's so cold here.  We have our daughters Boston here for the rest of the week. DD has a business trip. Our two dogs are mean with her. Jealous brats.

Barb hope ysou're doing well. Beastie thanks for always starting us off with such asweet greeting. Lynn glad you and your new cat are getting into a routine. Panda, thinking of you!

Thanks for the Valentine wishes, Apple.

Hi Doxie,Di, Qzoo, Sheltie, NcChange. Miss you all.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

hello mojo. It is good to see your post.

doxie

Respected Contributor

What do you look for in a vet for your cat?  When I got the kitten (that I no longer have), I took her to the vet recommended by the breeder.  My kitten was the only cat in the waiting room.  The room was crowded with lots of dogs (mostly large).  One dog had a cough, and several were barking.  I was not overly impressed with the front desk staff -- they didn't seem very friendly.  I did like the vet that we saw, however.  She was very nice and checked over the kitten quite thoroughly,

I checked on-line, and there is a cats only clinic (that also does cat grooming one day a week) not far from where I live.  I've read reviews for both places, and there are good and bad comments for each.  The one good thing about the cats only clinic, is that it is cats only.  So there won't be dogs barking.

Honored Contributor

Kitty is terrified of car trips, so I just picked a vet in the neighborhood.    Run by two female DVM's............and I got "lucky".    They are wonderful.

♥Surface of the Sun♥