Trusted Contributor

I just wanted to pass along what we use when our dog gets sprayed by a skunk like he did this morning.

1 quart peroxide

1/4 cup baking soda

1 tsp dawn dishwashing soap

mix together and lather up your dog and mix in well, rinse for a long time when your done, then rinse some more til its all out.  This seems to work the best for our dog. 

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry your dog got sprayed by a skunk.  Was he/she just out in your yard?  I would just die if that happened to my dog.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Good Morning Nicknack,

He was out for his morning run in a field by our home at daybreak.  Hope he learned his lesson to not mess with skunks!Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor
I hope he learned his lesson, too! Getting sprayed by a skunk can be dangerous for dogs depending on the exposure. I know it's usually not dangerous, but I've read that it can be.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I always heard washing dog in tomato juice; but that thought turned my stomach - seeing my dog covered with blood looking liquid.  So I bought and keep on hand a bottle of skunk cleaner I got from the Vet.   Haven't needed it yet - thank goodness.

Esteemed Contributor

Sadly they do not learn a lesson from it.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@deb5555 wrote:

I just wanted to pass along what we use when our dog gets sprayed by a skunk like he did this morning.

1 quart hydrogen peroxide

1/4 cup baking soda

1 tsp dawn dishwashing soap

mix together and lather up your dog and mix in well, rinse for a long time when your done, then rinse some more til its all out.  This seems to work the best for our dog. 

That's a perfect recipe.  It's the same one that was posted by our local pet and wildlife columnist for years (he's now retired) but the recipe lives on.  Perfect!  Lots of dogs have benefited from this conconction.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Contributor

Our little Pug got sprayed a couple of months ago.  It happened when I let her out in our fenced in yard.  It was still dark and when she was done, she came trotting back to the door where I was standing and I noticed just before she got to me, she stopped...something had caught her attention.  I didn't know what it was because it was so dark and we do not have a light out there.  Then I saw the tail raised and the white part of it and realized it was a skunk!  I screamed and my son came running down and yelled at her to come in and she finally did.  Fortunately, I don't think she got the full brunt of the spray.  I read online that they carry 6 doses and are very reluctant to release them because it takes 10 days to manufacture a new batch.  So I bathed her right away and used a shampoo for dogs with sensitive skin (she has skin issues) and one bath did it.  She did have some residual smell on her snout but it was gone in a couple of days.  I have lived in my place for 22 years and have never seen a skunk in our yard until this.  Now I am so paranoid that I put her on a leash and take a flashlight and bang on my railing before we step out into the yard.  I probably look ridiculous to anyone who may see but I don't care! LOL  I don't want to her to get skunked again!  Btw, this has happened to 3 of my coworkers too!  I think it is just a bad year for skunks.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks PH 58 I didnt know about the 6 doses, they have to pick and choose their sprays, teehee.  His snout still does smell just a little bit, but he is doing really good. We were making a lot of noise too, but it didnt help. Dogs are very nosey!!  When their nose is on the ground they are deaf.