Esteemed Contributor

Safety Questioned - Tick/Heartworm Meds

Someone posted info on possible unsafe tick/heartworm meds for dogs. 

Though I wrote down the names, cannot find my note now.  Just went thru seven pages on this forum and cannot find that thread.  Can anyone tell me which brands may be unsafe?

Thanx!

Valued Contributor

Re: Safety Questioned - Tick/Heartworm Meds

Hello, 

I take my dog to the humane shelter for her annual tests and immunzations because the fee helps the shelter save other cats and dogs. I adopted her from them. I asked the vet lots of questions about the various medications.

He said the topical meds for fleas, ticks and hearworm were no longer very effective as the insects have become immune to them

He continues to recommend Trifexis. I know it is not a money maker for the clinic as they are nonprofit and don't charge much for it, so I trust them.

My dog has been on the Trifexis for 3 years now and has no problems with it. Unfortunately, it does not repel or kill ticks, but we do not take her anywhere that is an area infested with ticks.

He did say the oral forms of any of the anti-tick, flea or heartworm meds are the best way to go. 

I tried to find the thread you mentioned and couldn't find it either.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme

I  have heard so many bad reactions to Triflexis.I would never use it. You can google any brand you see recomended here and make your choice.You can also google unsafe flea/tick meds for dogs.

I am so sorry to say that @CatLoverDogsToo. I know you will not agree ,and I am very happy you have been using it with no problems for 3 yrs..I  am not saying that to disagree with you,just stating the info that I know.

I use Heartguard for heartworm and Frontline for fleas. I used it for 16yrs on my Corgi and now 5 yrs on my Maltese.

My vet recomened Triflexis but I refused.He used to recomend ( Frontline and Heartguard ) Vets recomend anything they get paid to recomend in their office. My vet teck was the one that quietly alerted me of many  problems with it.

Anything we give our furbabies is frightening and we all take chances with anything we give them. I hope your furbaby agrees with whatever you choose.

Esteemed Contributor

I would never use any over the counter products.  I would have a discussion with your vet.  There are several products available and some work better in different parts of the country than others.  If you are not sure how they will work, just buy one dose and see if you pet will tolerate it, if not try another. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo@CrazyDaisy@MalteseMomma

I use Interceptor Novartis and Bravecto from my vet for the tick/heartworm protection.  Was wondering if these were on the safe list.  I just adopted Eddy in March after fostering for a month and it took a while to get his full med recs, rabies shot in particular, from NYC. so started him on these in June.  Poor guy's been thru so much want to make sure I'm using the safest stuff.  So far in my state it's mandated to have rabies shot; trying to change that, but so far no luck.  Figure have more control re tick/heartworm meds so want what's best for him.

Thanx for your responses.

Valued Contributor

@MalteseMomma  I am a foster for cats, dogs, kittens, puppies, and anything with feathers. To be honest, I hate giving any type of chemical to the animals, but where I live the dogs have to have something for fleas and heartworms. Ticks I can avoid for the most part.

I had a golden retriever that nearly died from one application of Frontline,scared the you know what out of me.

A dog that got heartworms on heartguard, despite never missing a dose.

Kittens that nearly died because the previous caretakers put hartz mountain flea repellent on them.

For my cats that never go out, I use nothing on them.

If only someone could come up with an effective way to eradicate fleas, ticks and heartworms, all of us that adore our pets would feel so much better. Unfortunately, I have a feeling the vermin would survive a nuclear bomb.

I agree with the other poster, buy one dose, see how it goes and decide from there.  Over the counter preparations, particularly anything by Hartz can be very dangerous.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I read the original post about Trifexis and Comfortis a few years ago, it wasn't too long after we had adopted our pooch.  Of my original 6 mos. purchase of the medication, I  had a few months left but was scared enough to pitch it.  I now use a topical (K9 Advantix II) that's been doing a great job.  We live in a wooded area where ticks, fleas, gnats, biting flies, mosquitos are abundant at certain times of the year.  Even so, my dog has remained protected.  I can literally see a swarms of bugs around him, but nothing ever lands on him.

I give a separate heartworm chewable for him (Heartgard).

We keep him on both year 'round for complete protection.  

Trusted Contributor

Okay, this is scaring the c--p out of me.  Just this morning I noticed a flea on one of our three dogs.  I went to the local pharmacy and picked up Frontline Plus according to their different weights.  I applied it around 12:30 this afternoon.  All three of them are acting normal so my question is if there were going to be bad side effects would they have happened by now?  The last time this happened over a year ago I gave them Bravecto (sp)?  I hate giving anything like this to my dogs and now I'm really worried.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

Okay, this is scaring the c--p out of me.  Just this morning I noticed a flea on one of our three dogs.  I went to the local pharmacy and picked up Frontline Plus according to their different weights.  I applied it around 12:30 this afternoon.  All three of them are acting normal so my question is if there were going to be bad side effects would they have happened by now?  The last time this happened over a year ago I gave them Bravecto (sp)?  I hate giving anything like this to my dogs and now I'm really worried.   

@Julie928

Bravecto is what I got from my vet - it's a cookie-tablet.  I don't like to give them drugs either - with all the cancers nowadays, that's why I was questioning the safety of these drugs.  It's hard to find good info online.  If you're questioning the safety of Frontline Plus, call your vet (or a Banfield) and question them re possible symptoms.

Super Contributor

Goldenlocks, I just gave my second dose of Bravecto to mine on Friday. My vet recommended it. It better be safe! I,too, had giving my babies anything,