Honored Contributor

SADIE & MOLLY HAPPY THAT MOMMY'S HOME

Hey beagles, Mommy's home!!! After 5 days at my Mother's, I walked in & my fur babies almost knocked me over at the door (13" beagles?). Hubby gave them b'fast & dinner, but was gone all day in between. I'm the nurturer, the ear nibbler, the belly scratcher, the one who goes on long walks morning and late afternoon. Whose knees do they curl up behind while I read? Who's eyes look into mine when they want to be loved on? 

If they could speak, Sadie and Molly would have yelled out, "Thank God. It's Mommy. She's home!!!!"

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SADIE & MOLLY HAPPY THAT MOMMY'S HOME

I'll wager you missed them even more.

I hate leaving my dogs.  What color are the beagles?  They must be really cute.  I recall that the 13" is the smaller.  Do they have long floppy ears, do they shed alot, and are their coats oily?

I ask because I just lost two coonhounds (black and tan, and blue tick).   They are sweet creatures, those hound dogs are.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I haven't traveled for 16 years because I won't leave my dogs.  I can't imagine what my dogs would do if I left for 5 days - they would be besides themselves.  Bet your babies are sooooo happy now!

Honored Contributor

Image result for beagles welcome home images

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia. Hi Fellow Hound Lover. Many questions, but will try to answer all of them. While away, I missed them terribly. I work from home. Sadie & Molly have a dog bed in my jewelry studio are with me most of the day keeping  each other company.  When I'm downstairs, they're both following me one step behind.

They come from a kennel who breeds show beagles. The oily fur, smell and more bristly coat are bred out of them for "show"...so is most of the howling (the "hound howl") although they can still bark and they are bred to be more docile than other beagles (again to be show quality). They are both 13" beagles, about the size of a small poodle...20-22 lbs. each. 

Both Sadie & Molly are standard tri-color: reddish brown, black and white w/ a white blaze. Sadie at 12 yrs. old now has a grey face and a lot of grey through her body. Their tiny size still makes them look like puppies. Molly at 4 yrs. old is a little more husky at 22 lbs. Older beagles (Sadie) are healthier at a lower weight.

Yes, long floppy ears on both....why I'm attracted to hounds. Sadie & Molly are my 9th & 10th fur babies. I've had beagles all my life. My first one was not a show beagle & she was wild, difficult to train, needed a bath every week (oily fur) & shed badly. Although Sadie & Molly do shed a little, they have a shorter, silky coat. I "furmenate" them each week & a bath every other week.

If I ever figure out how to post their pics, you'll see them here.

Honored Contributor

@meallen616. I think I posted on here before that there's nothing like unconditional love from your pet. After a tough day, or not feeling well, bad mood, cranky....they sense it and are by my side in seconds. Hubby, not so much. Not to sell him short, but humans have their own agendas.

Dogs live to please and give love back. Sadie and Molly's breeder taught me with our 1st beagle we purchased from his kennel over 25 yrs. ago that you reap what you sow....lots of work and training as puppies & great dogs for the rest of their lives. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus, I had no idea that the, I would say, outdoor/wild survival features of the hound were bred out.  For (mostly) indoor dogs, desirable, yes!

My boy coonhound had the best, most resonant "bay".  In the right situation, could be heard for miles.  He sometimes would howl at the sky in his throat, and it was an exceptional hound dog song.  And oily and sheddy and weighing in at 75 lbs.  His sister was 100.

My shepherd/lab mix ("sheprador") sheds hardly at all.  Just as sweet in his own way as the hounds, and needed a home, so he chose to come home with us.

A good dog is a good dog - I was always a terrier lover, and I love a proper standard poodle but I've seen a few of those lately that are really not bred well, and have disposition problems.  

Oh yes - I know about the "furminator".  Enjoy your doggies!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia. Thanks. I do enjoy them. Give your coonhound a sloppy kiss from Shanus 😘

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia  So sorry. Misread your post that you had lost your coonhounds. Forgive my thoughtlessness.

Esteemed Contributor

It's Ok.  We go on and have other lovely dogs.  And misinterpret.

I will kiss my hounds in spirit.

Cogito ergo sum