Respected Contributor

Re: Recommendations for special cat food

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

Put the one that needs to be on z/d in a separate room away from the others so she doesnt know about the other food.  

@Shawnie

I didn't see it in any of the previous posts ... what is "z/d " ?

Hills Z/d is the prescription diet that OPs vet recommended for her cat.  It has a very different texture, gellantinous.  So a friend suggested to me to cut it up like hamburger.  Now i just cut it in chunks with a fork.  It didnt take mine long to catch on to eating it, but i did put her in another room initially.  It is a hydrolized protein diet so the theory is that her immune system will not recognize it.  Royal Canin also makes a similar diet.  For these diets to work they cannot be given other foods, not even treats that may have proteins that their body has already had.

Super Contributor

Witchy Woman:  I know what it is like to feel overwhelmed when trying to feed a sick cat because I have gone through the same thing these past few months.  Early this year my cat had a bout of pancreatitis and was in hospital for four days.  I gave the vet some of the raw, freeze-dried food but my cat just would not eat anything at all, then on the third day she ate a few mouthfuls of Fancy Feast.  I had never given her FF because I have never felt it was a healthy food but I understand that cats usually love it.  Perhaps you could try it for your sick cat (in a separate room from your other cats) just until he gets over his illness (warm it very slightly).  Also, I would like to repeat one thing I have already mentioned in a previous post.  Just to set your mind at rest, I would recommend Googling raw-freeze dried food and, in particular, read customers comments.  There are a lot of them and it may set your mind at rest when you read how so many people have helped their cats with this food.  Please let us know how you and your cats are doing.  I am really hoping that you will soon resolve your feeding problem and everything will work out well for you. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shawnie

I've tried these things and he still rejected it.  I tried feeding this 3 days in a row and it was no go.

Since he's underweight right now, my heart hurts knowing he is hungry so I'm trying some "limited ingredient, grain free" food just to keep him fed.

I am considering the freeze dried raw foods by Stella and Chewy (mentioned on this post).

Researching foods with hydrolyzed protein produces lots of conflicting information.  Some vets say try "novel proteins" first. 

Right now, I'm concerned with getting him back to health and doing what's best.

I still don't know what that looks like regarding food.  Will have a conversation with the vet this afternoon about food options and then go from there.

All of my emotions about this are complicated by the fact that just last week I lost another of my kitties to kidney failure.  It came on suddenedly and he would not respond to treatment so I had to let him go.

Needless to say, I'm sick with guilt and grief over all of this.

I'm happy you found something that works for you and kitty.  That's what is important!

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman

Oh, I'm so sorry .....  did the Gerber's baby food help?  I'm sending you good thoughts.   Heart

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44

I haven't had a chance to try it yet. 

Kitty is back at the vet today for another ear exam requiring he be sedated.  He's been on meds twice a day and, as anyone with cats knows, giving any kind of meds to a cat is not easy.  I'm picking him up later.

Once he is home and settled again, I'm going to try the baby food.  He should be hungry later today after no food since last night Woman Sad

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman Before you give up on the zd, what about mixing some baby food in it to entice him to it?  If it works then you could gradually wean him onto the zd full strength.  Just a suggestion.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman  Have you tried giving your kitty the pills in Pill Pockets?  I've used those before with cats, and they were just a lifesaver for me.  I never liked pushing the pills down their throats.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau