Esteemed Contributor

Re: RAISED EATING BOWLS ~ YES OR NO? ~ ANY EXPERIENCES ?

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Yay, I found someone close to home who will build a feeder for me and I can design it.  I'm thinking something with a tile top.  My dog is a sloppy drinker so I think tile would stand up better over time than plain wood.

@JeanLouiseFinch  I bought my stands years ago from PETS SUPPLIES PLUS.  I bought the puppy height and then graduated to the adult height.  Ours are a cream colored, simple molded plastic with rounded edges.....no cracks or crevices to hold food.  They are light weight so I can carry them to my utility sink and hose them off.  There are two holes for bowls....I think this is the standard set up.  Not as glamourous as a designed and built wood feeder, but you might want to think about the clean up, wiping down, and weight. 

Just thought I would throw in a suggestion or two about design.  I don't know how old your dog is, but it will be interesting how he/she takes to it......afraid or no, big deal Smiley Happy.

Good luck!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Yay, I found someone close to home who will build a feeder for me and I can design it.  I'm thinking something with a tile top.  My dog is a sloppy drinker so I think tile would stand up better over time than plain wood.

@JeanLouiseFinch  I bought my stands years ago from PETS SUPPLIES PLUS.  I bought the puppy height and then graduated to the adult height.  Ours are a cream colored, simple molded plastic with rounded edges.....no cracks or crevices to hold food.  They are light weight so I can carry them to my utility sink and hose them off.  There are two holes for bowls....I think this is the standard set up.  Not as glamourous as a designed and built wood feeder, but you might want to think about the clean up, wiping down, and weight. 

Just thought I would throw in a suggestion or two about design.  I don't know how old your dog is, but it will be interesting how he/she takes to it......afraid or no, big deal Smiley Happy.

Good luck!

LOL my dogs don't let anything stand in the way of eating- raised, lowered, sideways,  upside, lol, etc they don't care, just give 'em the food!! Smiley Happy

Seriousy though, I haven't had a dog yet not readily take to elevated bowls. They really don't care and it doesn't seem to phase them!

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Good luck!

Thanks, @tends2dogs  My big boy is 4 yrs. old. and 26" tall at his shoulder.  LOL, the only thing he's afraid of is my son's little cat!  When the cat was a kitten, the dog got close up to snif and the kitten wasn't having it, he hissed and swatted the dog.  Ever since then, when the cat visits, the dog stays away.  It's kind of funny to watch how far away he walks in order to avoid the cat when he wants to get by.  When it comes to eating, he's never fussy so I expect him to be fine with whatever design we end up with.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So much for the custom made feeder.  The guy was going to charge me $200 (oak) and that didn't include any tile work.  It was a just going to be a basic "table style" feeder with holes for the bowls.  I found another local guy who said he could make a "box style" and the price was much more reasonable.  Again, no tile, but it was going to be made from pine.  I didn't see either version as holding up very long, knowing how my dog slobbers all over and leave a trail of water after he drinks. I ended up finding something suitable on Overstock.  The height is a little taller than most I've seen and it's made from polywood.  I have a bunch of that on my patio so I know it'll hold up.  The picture shows a white one, but I bought black.  It should be here by the middle of the week.

Indipets Eco-friendly Raised Pet Feeders

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  I think you will be happier with the polywood.  The clean up will be easier.....especially with a slobberer LOL.  My pup is messy, too.  When I remove his food bowl, he licks the whole thing down.  Mine have gone through 5 dogs, he is the 6th.  They look like new.....I have puppy size and adult size - 2 of each - oh, my.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs Our feeder finally arrived Wednesday so I used it yesterday for the first time.  It's perfect, solid and very well made.  Glad I ordered when I did.  I just checked Overstock and the price went up.  

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@tends2dogs Our feeder finally arrived Wednesday so I used it yesterday for the first time.  It's perfect, solid and very well made.  Glad I ordered when I did.  I just checked Overstock and the price went up.  

@JeanLouiseFinch  Thanks for letting me know.  How did your pup do with it?  I am glad that you like it. 

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch  Thanks for letting me know.  How did your pup do with it?  I am glad that you like it. 

@tends2dogs  He took to it immedately without hesitation.  Then again, he'd eat off a paper plate if I used one.  Smiley Wink