Valued Contributor

Many years ago my Mini Schnauzer had the same problem.  Didn't know about any of the at home treatments, so I did what I had seen nurses do in the hospital - I removed her impacted stool digitally.  Don't say yuck please - it worked. 

Respected Contributor

This works for mine.... wet cat food first and then canned pumpkin with their food. Pumpkin also works for diarrhea too.  The fiber works for either way.

Respected Contributor

I was thinking that too. He likes to eat tissues. Maybe it is time for a visit to the vet. I think I will try the pumpkin first as another poster suggested.

Esteemed Contributor

@luvdoodles wrote:

I was thinking that too. He likes to eat tissues. Maybe it is time for a visit to the vet. I think I will try the pumpkin first as another poster suggested.

@luvdoodles, is your dog defecating at all?  How long is a "few days"?  Is he continuing to eat and drink normal amounts?  If he has not defecated at all or only tiny amounts and it has been more than 72 hours please don't wait too long to see if pumpkin will work. 

Even if the pumpkin does have a laxative effect it may not be enough or work soon enough.  If your dog is not passing waste it may be impacted and need medical intervention and then again there is the possibility of a blockage due to something he ingested.

Sending good thoughts for your pup and you.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Regular Contributor

luvdoodles, I thought my 11 year old Jack Russell was constipated and tried the pumpkin which he would not touch.  Took him to vet and found that the lining of his colon was inflamed.  Why, I did not find out. He was given an anti-inflammatory shot and a weeks course of antibiotics.  He has been ever so much better since.  I was thinking  that he was showing signs of aging.  Thinking of adding a little wet food to his dry.

Honored Contributor

Re: Pup with Constipation

[ Edited ]

Probiotics on a daily basis can help prevent GI imbalances like constipation, plus they help keep the immune system strong.

"Forti-Flora" is one that's highly recommended; it's available at Amazon plus other vendors.

Hope your Doodle feels much better soon.

Respected Contributor

He is eatting and drinking normally. He is defacting some too, but he's struggles to do so and his bm's are not as large as they usually are. Yesterday I had to pull the rest off his butt because it was stuck. I am going to try the pumpkin. Will let you know it goes. Thanks for your help.

Honored Contributor

Re: Pup with Constipation

[ Edited ]

@luvdoodles, I wanted to check back and see how the pup was doing. Sounds better. Make sure plenty of water to help with his eliminations (BM's). Glad he's doing better.

Respected Contributor

He is doing much better now. Everything is moving along just fine now haha. The pumpkin worked. Thanks for asking. Have a nice day!!

Esteemed Contributor

My German Shelpherd pups went thru this tummy and bum issues often. Our vet suggested pumpkin puree (not the pie filling) and sweet potatoes.(again...not the store version)  purchased a few cans of each at Burton's pet store.  They really seem to like them and they solve the problem. She also suggested plain yougurt. I found that half of the container seemed to be the correct amount for them. The entire thing was too much for their system. Hope this helps your fur baby.