Esteemed Contributor

Streetangel, I saw your page to me re: Radar the Cat over in the jewelry forum.  I replied to you there, but here's what I wrote, below:

Hi Streetangel,

I stumbled across your page to me in the Jewelry Forum, so I'm sorry I did not reply earlier to you -- and I'm so sorry that your poor Radar had such a horrible kidney infection.  Here are my thoughts:

1.  If the vet isn't convinced he has kidney disease, what does he/she think it is, specifically?  Do they have a theory of the problem?

2.  I would insist to see his labs and compare them to prior labs in order to see a trend, if any.  Compare his values to the chart on this website:  www.felinecrf.com under "tests and diagnostics."  It's important to note that there are ranges for the main kidney numbers.

3.  He could just be getting older and developing chronic kidney insufficiency/failure.  This generally comes on gradually and can be characterized by more frequent UTIs.  But there is also something called FLUTD (feline lower urinary tract disease), in which crystals and obstructions can happen that can be quickly fatal, esp. in a male cat. 

Lastly, the kitties' kidneys can be starting to go because of another health condition, i.e., diabetes, lupus, etc. -- not to panic you, just to tell that may be where your vet is thinking.  He also could have a bladder problem vs. a kidney problem; he could have high blood pressure causing kidney problems (and sometimes kidney problems cause high BP in cats, too!)

4.  Kitties with kidney problems have trouble putting on/keeping on weight.  There are Rx diets for kidney problems; however, they often taste yucky to kitties.  It's a good idea to try esp. the wet food and mix it in with his regular food (if they recommend this) to try to get him to eat it. But if he doesn't, it's more important that they eat, period.  Access to lots of fresh water is critical -- put several water bowls throughout the house.  Change the water twice a day. 

5.  Kitties whose kidneys are compromised have a tough time filtering toxins. To minimize strain on them, food that is lower in sodium and phosphorus is good (there are charts all over the internet that can give you content of typically cat food, canned or dry -- if you can't find one, I'll help you).  Never feed kitten food; it's too high in protein, too.

6.  If you notice straining at the litterbox, or little drops of blood, or a general malaise -- UTI or kidney problem. Get to the vet ASAP to prevent a worse infection.

7.  Watch output in the litterbox.  It usually goes up with kidney disease.

8.  Another development over time:  potassium starts to get depleted -- check this figure on the labs.  The vet can help you supplement this, but do not attempt it yourself w/o the go-ahead from them.  It will make the kitty with kidney disease feel better (this becomes more important as their kidneys decline).

9.  The website www.felinecrf.com is excellent and is quick reading to get you going.  You can also try www.felinecrf.org.  Both are very helpful.

Let me know what Dr. Bowers' office says!  I'll post a shout-out in the Pet Lovers Forum to you, too, for cross-referencing!

Regular Contributor

Re: Paging Streetangel

[ Edited ]

Sammycat, thanks for your awesome response!!  I have no idea why my post to you went into the jewelry forum!!!  I hate this new format the Q uses for the forums!  I am still getting used to my new laptop with Windows 8 on it, which is difficult enough but coupled with the new forums, it's really a pain!

Radar is improving each day, after being treated for a serious double kidney infection.  The only real indication I had that he was even down was that he laid around nearly constantly.  He would still eat and drink some, and he went upstairs very, very slowly when he went to the litter pan upstairs.  The final straw came when he must have been in way too much pain to even attempt the stairs, and got into a box I had in one of my bedrooms and urinated so much that I thought surely it was a quart til he got done.  It had a rank smell - not ammonia, just rank.  He then went and hid under my bed, which he has NEVER done.  He has never gone to the bathroom outside his box, either, so I knew we were in trouble.

His kidney area was extremely painful when Dr. Henry palpated there.  Doesn't seem to involve bladder.  I did not see his lab numbers at all.  It took a day to get the bloodwork back, and they couldn't get a urine specimen until overnight at the hospital.  That's when they saw he was dumping some protein into his urine, but they had thankfully already started antibiotics with intent of treating a bad infection, lest he get any worse.  It took a couple of days at home then before he started to slowly feel better.  When he goes back for a lab recheck and follow-up appointment, he will see Dr. Bowers. I'm telling you, this shook me to my core.  Radar has always tended to get kidney infections, but never one this intense, and I can usually tell he's having an issue and get him in quickly.  What made this one a little more difficult for me to identify as a real problem was that the muscle that runs along his spine tends to get inflamed occasionally and when it does, he lays around just like he was doing with this.

The vet is convinced there was a horrible kidney infection, but also saw a possibility in the labs that Radar may be in very early stages of kidney disease, thus the repeat labs on September 9.  I'm sure Dr. Bowers will be reviewing all his previous lab numbers with the newer ones when I take him back in for follow-up.  One good thing I wanted to mention is that Radar has not lost any weight whatsoever.  He's still weighing in around 17 lbs.

I'll definitely update after his follow-up visit.  Thank you so much for your wonderful, very informative post.  The best news I could get when he goes back is that the whole thing was nothing more than a bad kidney infection and that no signs of impending kidney disease are present in repeat labs.  I will be talking to Dr. Bowers about a possible tweak to his diet, which consists only of Science Diet Active Longevity kibble for both Radar and Gracie. 

Honored Contributor

Street...

Sammycat was kind enough to bring your terrible situation with your precious Radar to my attention (as well as to many others) via the Pet Chat Corner thread...which is on this board. Just like the Schmoo thread, it's very friendly and 100% troll free...please do come and join us.

Even though I already sent lots of special prayers to Radar and Comfort Hugs to to the both via the PCC thread and your post on the Jewelry board...I'm send out even more. :-)

(((((((((((STREETANGEL & HER PRECIOUS RADAR))))))))

---------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Esteemed Contributor

Streetangel, you're welcome.  Poor Radar!  It sounds like he developed crystals/stones that eventually passed (hence the "blast" of urine) -- those can kill male cats very fast and are a hallmark of the FLUTD that I mentioned ... ask Dr. Bowers about it, especially since Radar acted differently this time from his usual UTI situation.

I'm praying he rebounds and your favorite doc gets to the bottom of it ASAP!  Keep us posted as you can.

Regular Contributor

I'm so happy to report that last evening, Radar was running, jumping up on things, playing with Gracie, and acting much, much better!!  I am so praying he is over the worst and that there is no kidney disease at all when they re-do labs on the 9th!  Beastielove, I did used to post on the Pet Lovers Forum a LOT, but stopped when the dinosaur laptop I had lost the 'n' key and was so slow, it was more of a pain to post than not!  While I wasn't posting much, the Q changed the Forums, and now, I seem to have problems posting in here because when I think that is where I am posting, I find out my post ended up in a totally different Forum (like Jewelry, for Pete's sake!!)  Hopefully, this post ends up on the Pet Lovers!!

Sammycat, I am anxious for Dr. Bowers himself to see Radar.  Unfortunately, or fortunately for Dr. Bowers, I believe he is soon planning to retire, thus he is not in many days anymore.  He and his wife are highly involved in the arts and they travel a great deal.  He has positioned everything so that when he makes that final decision to go out, Dr. Henry will buy the animal hospital and continue to run it.  I like her well enough, but she has not been with my cats from the day I got them, and since they both are rescues with underlying health problems, I'm always a little nervous when I get her rather than Dr. Bowers.  I dread the day when he does completely retire, to be honest.  All I can say is, I hope he doesn't go completely out while my precious babies are still alive.

I want to sincerely thank ALL of you for keeping Radar and me and your prayers!  I know they are helping!  The day I rushed him over to the hospital on my way to work, even Gracie was upset and kept following him to check on him.  She was crying.  Like I said before, when he went under my bed to be alone and hide, I knew things were extremely dire and very serious, and so did Gracie.  She would go over and look under there right along with me.  Things could have taken such a different turn, it still upsets me to think about it.  :-(

Esteemed Contributor

I'm so glad that Radar's improved!  And I hear you on the whole Dr. Bowers retiring situation.  When Schmoo's vet got sick in the middle of his illness, and initially it was thought to be cancer, I was very concerned for the vet of course but also worried what would happen to Schmoo's care.

Maybe he had a stone and passed it -- I'd still ask that of them, because FLUTD can keep on keeping on, if you know what I mean.  Best wishes for a total Radar recovery and keep us posted on him and you!

Regular Contributor

Ladies, Radar continues to improve, and in fact, kept me up most of the night jumping on and off my bed.  He was trying to tell me I had forgotten to check the food level in his darned bowl before I went to bed, and when he finally successfully got me out of bed at 3:30 AM, I discovered a nearly empty bowl!!  LOL!

Gracie goes for her yearly shot and check-up tomorrow, so I will give a report to Dr. Bowers' office when I take her.  He may actually be there and I can talk to him then, but chances are, because he is in the office so infrequently anymore, that it will be Dr. Henry.  Regardless, I will talk to whatever vet sees Gracie and give them a status update from my end!

Again, I'm thanking all of you for your prayers, support and good wishes!  They are all so much appreciated!

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Streetangel,

How did Gracie do in her checkup?  Let us know when you get a chance.

How is Radar?  I'm praying for excellent bloodwork on the 9th for him. 

Regular Contributor

Gracie had an excellent check-up, thanks!!  Dr. Henry was pleased with how her heart sounded, and also did a blood pressure check on her, which was excellent!  She got her yearly shot, and this was the first year that I noticed she really did not feel well after that shot - slept most of the day and didn't seem herself until the next morning!  I continue to give Gracie 2 daily doses of Atenolol gel in her ear - the dose in the evening is twice as strong as the dose at lunchtime, and it seems to do the trick for her heart arrhythmia. 

Radar also seems to be doing well, although he slept a little more than I like over the weekend.  I will be dropping him off at the vet on my way to work tomorrow for his repeat labs.  He's eating and drinking, using his litter box, playing and chasing around after Gracie some.  I'm glad we scheduled the repeat labs, and want to ask Dr. Henry about possibly getting another antibiotics injection, just to clear up any lingering trace of infection.  I sure don't want him taking a nosedive!

Hope everyone had an awesome holiday weekend!  Guess now, we head into Fall and hopefully soon, some cooler weather for us and our furbabies!  Love you all!!

Esteemed Contributor

Good morning to all! Just stopping by to say hello to Sammy cat  and the rest of the gang. have a good week to all here who post. And prayers to the animals who have been sick and who have been lost or abandoned. Godspeed!