Esteemed Contributor

Need ideas for removing stickers from paws

Our Daisy walked across some stickers yesterday and her paws were covered in them,deep in her fur.  We got them out with comb scissors and just working them out. Is there any other way?  We never walk her in those woods much and believe me,won't again.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Re: Need ideas for removing stickers from paws

@MoJoV wrote:

Our Daisy walked across some stickers yesterday and her paws were covered in them,deep in her fur.  We got them out with comb scissors and just working them out. Is there any other way?  We never walk her in those woods much and believe me,won't again.

You might want to edit your post title. I didn't know you meant weed stickers until I got to the last sentence of your post. I'd change stickers to burrs.

Esteemed Contributor

Our Greta had very fine long fur which matted easily and picked up every little thing on the ground. I used small scissors to cut out most of it but the really stubborn ones.. I swear by Avon's skin so soft so I used that on my finger and worked it in on the sticker area. Most of the time I could at least get it out far enough to snip it off. I think baby oil would work the same. I wiped her paw off with a wet microfiber towel to get any residue left behind. Hope this helps your pet.

Honored Contributor

Occasionally, I would throw my poodle in a bath and sometimes that helped them release from the fur when the water loosened the curl of her hair.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

my vet said to soak the paw in warm water with epsom salts for 10 minutes once or twice a day. She said it can help to work them out. I never ended up trying it so I can't vouch for that but it can't hurt to try. I would make sure it is just pure epsom salts, not scented or with any Essential oils, etc.

Honored Contributor

I'm sure it would be obvious by her licking or favoring a particular paw, but don't forget to check under her paws where burrs can get caught between the pads.  

Honored Contributor

If I had a dog I probably would have understood, but when you said stickers my only thought was of adhesive-backed paper stickers that kids use.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

If I had a dog I probably would have understood, but when you said stickers my only thought was of adhesive-backed paper stickers that kids use.

That's what I thought you meant, too, and I do have a dog.  Smiley Happy

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

We have a ground cover type of weed called a goathead which has a vicious burr.  The dogs get them between their toes but almost always work them out themselves, leaving the burr on the floor for me to step on barefooted.  Once in awhile, they'll come to mama for help with one.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

When I had my collies (the Lassie types), my exhusband came back from walking them and one had his front right leg coated in burrs up to the skin.

I never would have thought of the baby oil trick.  Ended  up taking grooming scissors and snipping them parallel to the fur and working them out.

Please post  what works best for you. Good luck! Poor pooch.