Honored Contributor

Re: My kitty had more seizures

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry that Percy had more seizures.  When I've had cats that needed medication, I used Pill Pockets.  They easily took their pills in them.  I've never found anything else that worked.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Sending tons more very special love

filled healing prayers to your beloved boy.HeartCat Happy

(((((HeartPERCYHeart)))))

-------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Percy spent the night at the emergency vet.  They gave him phenobarbital.  He had no seizures overnight.

He was then taken to his vet.  He is staying for the day.  I believe the plan is to start him on phenobarbital every day now.

My daughter was there when it happened.  He started seizing on the bed and we didn't get to him quickly enough to stop him from flipping off the bed.  He landed with a loud thud on the floor.  She just feels awful that happened.  I think she now understands about protecting him from injuring himself if one happens.

Percy is a big, strong, boy and I am not looking forward to medicating him.  We may be able to get medicine that applies to the inside of the ear.  I tried that with another cat and it irritated her ear and she lost her hair around it.

Hyacinth

You can get Phenobarbital in a liquid form.  Perhaps you can mix it with a litttle can food to get him to eat it that way.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Percy came home last night.  He had received 2 doses of phenobarbital.

His back legs were really wobbly, and he is having trouble jumping on the bed.  He seemed tired.

I am going to try the transdermal form of the medication applied to the ear.  My husband and I had a realy hard time wrangling a pill into him.  Vet didn't have the transdermal in stock.  He is big and strong!!

No more seizures so far.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003 Sending positive thoughts and good wishes for your kitty's health. I've been through these types of things often and it just doesn't get any easier. ((( Hugs )))  Heart

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Frequent Contributor

You can find a local compounding pharmacy to make the transdermal gel for you.  Your vet can phone in the script for you.