Respected Contributor

My Dog has Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome

Yesterday I took my 15 1/2 year old Pharaoh Hound to the vet because she is wandering aimlessly and drinking a ton of water.  (Vet did put her on antibiotics because there is a thickening of her bladder wall which could suggest cystitis which she has had before)  Vet ran blood work and her kidney and liver functions were perfect.  Vet noticed a pattern of her pacing in the office and I told her she does the same thing at home - goes over to bowl and either drinks or not, walked around the fireplace and back up on the couch - same pattern probably 25 times a day)  She gave me a list of symptoms for Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome and basically Sedona's pattern hits them all.  She suggested putting her on medication for it (L-Deprenyl (aka Anipryl, Eldepryl, Carbex).  Has anyone had any experience with these meds? 

Honored Contributor

Re: My Dog has Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome

I am a bit puzzled- Cystitis is usuallycaused by bladder infections (but not always) so it sounds like she actually has a bladder infection hence the reason for antibiotics? Did they do a urinalysis to confirm an infection? You certainly don't want to assume it is due to an infection and use antibiotics so readily if the cystitis is actually caused by something else like a tumor, bladder stone, polyps, etc especially in an older dog.

Regarding the pacing, and CDS, we had a dog like this and put him on a natural supplement that was highly recommended and it really really helped. I will have to try to find the name for it as it has been awhile since he passed. Did your vet recommend trying any nutritional supplements first to see if they helped before going to a full on Rx? Many vets recommend the nutritional supplements first as they certainly cannot hurt and may only help.

Good luck! I know how hard it is to see our dogs get older. Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I am a bit puzzled- Cystitis is usuallycaused by bladder infections (but not always) so it sounds like she actually has a bladder infection hence the reason for antibiotics? Did they do a urinalysis to confirm an infection? You certainly don't want to assume it is due to an infection and use antibiotics so readily if the cystitis is actually caused by something else like a tumor, bladder stone, polyps, etc especially in an older dog.

Regarding the pacing, and CDS, we had a dog like this and put him on a natural supplement that was highly recommended and it really really helped. I will have to try to find the name for it as it has been awhile since he passed. Did your vet recommend trying any nutritional supplements first to see if they helped before going to a full on Rx? Many vets recommend the nutritional supplements first as they certainly cannot hurt and may only help.

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@HappyDaze - I'm not sure the difference between cystitis and a bladder infection - but she has had cystitis before - no they couldn't get a sample from her but did look at her bladder, thus the wall thickening.  Just following what vet said.

I would like to know what your dog was taking.  Vet did not recommend supplements, just this L-Deprenyl - I'm sure they would rather make money on a prescription that costs a lot of money. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal  I have never had to give a dog a drug for cognitive dysfunction.  I have friends that have had to though, and they've said it does help.  I would try it if I ever needed to.

You don't have to buy it from your vet.  I buy all of my pet's drugs, heartworm and flea meds from Drs. Foster and Smith dot com.  You could compare the price.  They will call your Vet for the prescription.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a dog with that and she would pace particularly at night. I got an aroma therapy device that I used with lavender and that calmed her and her pacing nearly slowed so she could sleep.  This was many years ago and there was no medication availabl but I sure would have tried anythng to help her.

@hoosieroriginal   So sorry to hear this.  It's hard to see your best friend go through this.

Frequent Contributor

Cystitis is a term for inflammation of the bladder.  If the inflammation is caused by bacteria, then it is called a UTI (urinary tract infection) or bladder infection. I'm surprised your vet couldn't get a urine sample via cystocentesis.  My cat suffered from anxiety and was showing the classic symptoms of a UTI.  When my vet sent the urine sample to be cultured, they found no infection.  Basically, her anxiety was causing her bladder symptoms.  She now takes the lowest dosage of  amitriptyline, which we had compounded into a transdermal gel that we rub into her ear once a day.  She has never had the symptoms again.  Also, glucosamine helps promote bladder strengthening.  My suggestion would be to have the urine cultured, first.  I've not used L-Deprenyl, myself but have heard from numerous people it worked wonders for their pets.

Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Yesterday I took my 15 1/2 year old Pharaoh Hound to the vet because she is wandering aimlessly and drinking a ton of water.  (Vet did put her on antibiotics because there is a thickening of her bladder wall which could suggest cystitis which she has had before)  Vet ran blood work and her kidney and liver functions were perfect.  Vet noticed a pattern of her pacing in the office and I told her she does the same thing at home - goes over to bowl and either drinks or not, walked around the fireplace and back up on the couch - same pattern probably 25 times a day)  She gave me a list of symptoms for Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome and basically Sedona's pattern hits them all.  She suggested putting her on medication for it (L-Deprenyl (aka Anipryl, Eldepryl, Carbex).  Has anyone had any experience with these meds? 

@I am sorry to hear about your dog.  I don't have experience with any of these drugs, but I do know that when people, especially the elder, have an infection of the bladder, it can cause confusion.  I would see how the antibiotic works to clear up the infection and also, maybe the cognitive problems.  I would use something natural before using a drug.  All the best to you and your sweet girl.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@SharonZ wrote:

Cystitis is a term for inflammation of the bladder.  If the inflammation is caused by bacteria, then it is called a UTI (urinary tract infection) or bladder infection. I'm surprised your vet couldn't get a urine sample via cystocentesis.  My cat suffered from anxiety and was showing the classic symptoms of a UTI.  When my vet sent the urine sample to be cultured, they found no infection.  Basically, her anxiety was causing her bladder symptoms.  She now takes the lowest dosage of  amitriptyline, which we had compounded into a transdermal gel that we rub into her ear once a day.  She has never had the symptoms again.  Also, glucosamine helps promote bladder strengthening.  My suggestion would be to have the urine cultured, first.  I've not used L-Deprenyl, myself but have heard from numerous people it worked wonders for their pets.

I agree with @SharonZ here- some very good points.   @hoosieroriginal It is really important that the vet determine if the cause of cystitis is an infection or not. I am actually surprised they would default to antibiotics without testing to make sure there is even an infection present. You don't want a dog to get on antibiotics if they don't need it as it can create bacteria that becomes resistant and that isn't good, especially in older dogs. Also, if the dog doesn't have an infection then the source of the cysitis won't be addressed properly and you will have more issues down the road.  Can I ask how they determined that the bladder lining was inflammed/thickened? Ultrasound?

I will try to find the information as to the supplement I used and will post back to you.

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@SharonZ wrote:

I agree with @SharonZ here- some very good points.   @hoosieroriginal It is really important that the vet determine if the cause of cystitis is an infection or not. I am actually surprised they would default to antibiotics without testing to make sure there is even an infection present. You don't want a dog to get on antibiotics if they don't need it as it can create bacteria that becomes resistant and that isn't good, especially in older dogs. Also, if the dog doesn't have an infection then the source of the cysitis won't be addressed properly and you will have more issues down the road.  Can I ask how they determined that the bladder lining was inflammed/thickened? Ultrasound?

I will try to find the information as to the supplement I used and will post back to you.

@HappyDaze - She used a machine I believe a "cyto..."??? - Sedona is very difficult to handle - it takes me and another vet tech to hold her down while someone cuts her nails - she's very strong for only 40 pounds.  They tried to get a sample, but it was pouring outside and she wouldn't pee and wanted to come in.  It's really frustrating.  This morning alone, she has jumped down off the couch at least 15 times, sometimes drinks, sometimes just stands there and stares.  She's sleeping really well - no problem with that.