Super Contributor

My Dachound mix barks so much on walks when he see another. Dog. (Help)

[ Edited ]

I rescued a sweet little dachound mix when he was 5 months old. He is the most loving little guy. Problem is the minute he see's another dog he goes banana's barking, he has a very loud bark for a small dog. He has been to 2 dog training school, one was by the humane society . We where told not to bring him back after the first lesson because of the barking. The second where private lessons but did no good when it came to barking. He is now 14 months old I have 2 other dogs one 3 years old

girl he plays with her all the time and a older male dog he love to play ball with. I can't take him for a walk anymore because. When he is barking he struggles to get out of his harness to go run after the dog, he did get out once chased after 2 pit bulls and almost got hit by a car. The pit bull owner was very angry that he chased his dogs while he was on a walk. Now I am afraid this could happen again so I keep him home. It breaks my heart that he can't go on walks but I want him safe. I don't know what to do.

Honored Contributor

Re: My Dachound mix barks so much on walks when he see another. Dog. (Help)

[ Edited ]

@little daisy

Dachshunds are known for this behavior.  It's really too bad you haven't found the right trainer to help with this.

But don't give up, and do your best to get over being nervous or worried.  I have a small dog who barked like this.  Not a dachshund, but she is still reactive and tries to lunge toward other dogs.  Improvement is there, the barking has stopped, but we still have a ways to go.

It will take time but this can improve.  I'm assuming you've been walking him alone and not with your other dogs.  They may be a good example for him, but it might get to be too much when he starts to act out and it will be easier for you to manage him by himself.

One technique is to simply walk the other way when you see a dog in the distance.  It is not rude to the other dog walkers so don't worry about that. When he gets calmer, you can go back the other way (depending on where the other dog is - you don't want to get your dog too close yet).  Be sure to have treats with you so that as soon as he shows calm behavior, he gets a treat.  (Be sure they are very tiny treats.  You also don't want him to get fat!  But you know that already.)

This is not all there is to it, but look at positive reinforcement trainers such as Victoria Stilwell or Patricia McConnell.  Here is one link to the Patricia McConnell site: http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/aggression-towards-other-dogs

p.s.  I still get nervous sometimes when she does this.  You are not alone.  I remind myself that the best help for my dog is a calm person next to her to help her through this (even though she thinks there is nothing wrong with what she is doing).

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, Doxies are barkers!  That is just being a doxie.  When I walk mine, if he is on  full leash, he noses around being a dog, but when I shorten the leash and stand beside him, he minds me,  "Good Boy, NoBark!"  over and over.  He will get it. 
We have a lot of golf carts in the neighborhood and this works with him.  He loves to run and bark at them.

I took mine to obedience school but I am the one who learned.  When he obeys, give him a treat.   I was saying, "It's OK" and the instructor told me he understood that barking was OK.  Now it's "NoBark."

My neighbor got a cat and ties it on their carport.  So far, this method has worked. 

If he lunges a lot, try a harness for walking so you have better control of his body action.

Honored Contributor

p.s.  @little daisy

Just a reminder not to use any shock collars or harsh punishment.

Also be careful not to jerk on the leash.

It's true that a harness is better since there is less pressure on the dog's trachea (at the front of the neck).  His trachea can be damaged by someone jerking on the leash or even by his pulling on the leash if he is just wearing a collar.

I would guess the instructors in those classes already told you about the proper harness, or Halti leader, or something similar that would work.

Super Contributor

Thanks for your input. I did not know dachounds are barkers. I do take him separàte walking the other direction does not work I am just about dragging him.. He is slim and very energetic so I have tried carrying him away from the situation but he jumps around in my arms and I'm afraid I'm going to drop him. It just breaks my heart that I've got this problem with him I really hope he. can outgrow this. I can see people get a little irritated when he barks at their dogs like that and he just doesn't stop. Even though I have this problem with him I wouldn't give them up for anything I love him so much. His name is Frankie.

Super Contributor

Thank you I like hearing from other Doxie owners. I learn more about this breed.

Honored Contributor

@little daisy  Lots of love, and some good dog management, and I see a brighter future for you and little Frankie.  

Dachshunds are SO cute (at any size).  He'll be worth any effort you make to help him with this.  It will take time, as you already know.  I've had my little dog for five years (she was about 7 when I adopted her) and she's still has some of that habit.  

Best wishes.  A lot of us have been there.  

Super Contributor

Yes I learned a lot in class but Frankie also learned thing but not the stop barking thing.

Super Contributor

Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

I never had a Doxie, but I have some ideas.    First, I would only use a good, secure harness on him.    How about finding a Dachshund group either online or, better yet, a local "meet ups".     You could get ideas and hopefully, controlled and understanding interactions.   

I understand that it all stems from the breed's hunting instincts.    If the dog is excitable, could a Thundershirt help on walks?    What do you think, other Doxie owners?