Honored Contributor

@Karnerblue

I know how difficult Buddy's illness was for you, and how heart-wrenching the decision to let him go must have been. 

There's nothing anyone can say to take away the pain, even those of us who've been through it - whether once or several times.  I join with everyone in sending you prayers and hugs.

Clearly, Buddy was your perfectly-named companion and I know that he is grateful to be at peace.   Eventually, you will be close to peace as well, but it will not be a smooth path. 

One of the stories in Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul ends with the words of a small boy who had just witnessed the family dog being helped to slip away by a vet who came to their home.  The family afterward discussed how sad it was that pets only live a short time, and their little four-year-old boy said he knew why.

He said, "Everybody is born so they can live a good life -- like loving everybody and being nice, right?  Well, animals already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

The strength and dignity you have shown throughout Buddy's illness will carry you through. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

@Karnerblue, I am so sorry for the loss of your father and now, the loss of your Buddy.  I am sending you my condolences and prayers at this very sad and difficult time.

Please be kind to yourself ... you did what you believed was best for Buddy.  If you have any doubt about that, please re-read the post #11 by @GingerPeach.   Heart 

QVC Customer Care

@Karnerblue  I am so sorry for your loss, such a difficult time.

You have my prayers Smiley Sad 

Esteemed Contributor

Although I do not know your individual story, sadly,  I know everyone here understands your pain and sorrow.  There is nothing we can say to make it less. 

I join in offering my condolences and saying I know how difficult that final decision is. 

Buddy and your father are waiting for you on the other side and watching you always.

Hugs

Esteemed Contributor

Prayers to your Buddy and your Dad , who are both in Heaven now. that they come through and comfort you.  I believe they are with you now and will help you get through this devastating time.Heart

Honored Contributor

Oh, Karnerblue, I am so, so sorry.  What an awful time for you, after all you've been through for so very long.

I won't tell you that Buddy is in a better place and without pain, because you already know that in your mind.  But in your heart you are grieving.  Not for the Buddy that just left you, but for the young, healthy and happy Buddy that once was.  Well, he is that again, now.

Rough things don't seem to come one at a time.  I'm so sorry you lost your father as well.  In some ways, this loss is easier to process than Buddy's.

Let yourself grieve.  I know you must feel utterly terrible right now, physically and mentally.  But thank you for letting us know about Buddy; so many of us have followed your situation for so long we all were concerned.

You are in our thoughts and prayers.  HeartHeartHeart

Honored Contributor

Losing your dad,and buddy at the same time ,would have to be hard,you did the right thing for buddy,they depend on us for their care, by sending him on,was right.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

You showed the greatest love known -- and acted as a champion for them both.  You'll see that in time; now the hurt is too sharp and raw, and it clouds your vision.

Now that you've put their needs before your own, it's time to take care of yourself so you can begin to heal.

Honored Contributor

Karnerblue, I'm so very sorry for the loss of your dad and Buddy.  I truly believe that the last kindness we can do for our pets is to let them go when they're suffering.  I also believe that our pets go to heaven.  Know that you did the right thing.  I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

What a difficult time for you, I'm so very sorry for your loss!