Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Multiple Brands of Pig Ears Recalled Due to Salmonella | March 2017

Just as an aside, I don't give my dogs any of these kinds of treats. They don't get pig ears, cow hooves, rawhides.  My vet told me long, long ago these things aren't good for dogs.   

Honored Contributor

Those are just horrible for your dogs, do not ever give.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Just as an aside, I don't give my dogs any of these kinds of treats. They don't get pig ears, cow hooves, rawhides.  My vet told me long, long ago these things aren't good for dogs.   

Same here, never ever!

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't give those things or hooves or most rawhide to my dogs.  They're disgusting, and you're just asking for trouble from evil bacteria which you can also be exposed to. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

NEW ALERT FROM FDA re Thyroid Hormones / Re: Multiple Brands of Pig Ears Recalled Due to Salmonella

New alert from the FDA:

FDA Alerts Veterinarians and Pet Food Manufacturers about Potential Presence of Thyroid Hormones in Pet Foods and Treats

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm548883.htm

"The FDA is issuing this alert now after a recent Center for Veterinary Medicine investigation into reports of three dogs in different households that showed signs of hyperthyroidism. In these cases, extensive testing on all three dogs conducted at a reference laboratory showed elevated thyroid hormone in the blood, but ruled out thyroid cancer. Reference lab interviews with the dogs’ owners revealed that all three dogs had been fed BLUE Wilderness® Rocky Mountain Recipe TM Red Meat Dinner Wet Food for Adult Dogs and/or Wellness 95% Beef Topper for Dogs.

"Based on the recommendation of the reference lab’s consulting veterinarian, the feeding of these dog foods was discontinued. After the dogs stopped eating these products for a few weeks, their clinical signs disappeared and thyroid hormone levels returned to normal. An FDA lab tested unopened cans of BLUE Wilderness® Rocky Mountain Recipe TM Red Meat Dinner Wet Food for Adult Dogs and Wellness 95% Beef Topper for Dogs and confirmed that they contained active thyroid hormone. The source of thyroid hormones is likely from the use of gullets from which the thyroid glands were not completely removed before adding to pet food or treats."

Even though the article references dogs, the warning is about "pets," so I guess we should all be alert.