Esteemed Contributor

Our Scout has been missing.  She's a short haired black female with a playful instinct.  Very happy cat.  She's small for a full grown and not that odl - 3 years.  We strongly feel someone deliberately took her as she's very chaming.  We've asked around, no luck.  She's chipped but that only helps if someone turns her in.  She's never been gone before.  We dearly miss her and our hearts are broken. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Hoping that you get her returned with all speed.  Keep looking and asking.  I well know how difficult this must be.

Respected Contributor

Over the years, I've "misplaced" two cats. Both times, they were found accidentally trapped in the neighbor's garages.  They were found, if a bit hungry and thirsty.  Hugs and kisses were provided.

Best of luck to you and yours.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

Re: Misssing Pet

[ Edited ]

Make sure to contact all vets & animal officers (police) in the area with your story plus picture and description of anything that will make your cat quickly identifiable…such as white blaze of fur on chest, or one blue eye & one brown, or bald spot on right hip, etc.  This would make them more likely to scan for a chip if a similar new cat is brought in to them – they don’t automatically do that every time a pet comes in to see the vet.  On your posters/flyers, push the fact that it is a sick cat that needs immediate care/medicine and it is expensive & on going – don’t name a disease.  That might make it less desirable and drive the “cat snatchers” to take it to a vet (who you have alerted to scan it) or turn it into a shelter or release it in a neighborhood…all better chances for you to find it.  Do NOT mention that it is microchipped - that is your secret to be shared with the vets, animal control & police.  Please keep us updated – hopefully your furbaby will be back home soon.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

Oh @Puzzle Piece, this breaks my heart! I'm simply mad with worry when one of our kitties disappears for a short time. 

We have had one missing for four days, and just show up like nothing happened, one that took off and was gone for 4 months or more, and simply showed up one day, again looking like nothing happened. One ran off shortly after we took her from someone that couldn't keep her, and although we spotted her from time to time, and continued to put out food and try to lure her back, she never did come home. Once one of our senior guys got trapped in the neighbor's garage, and was only gone for a day, but we were concerned that the neighbors might have gone on vacation when we heard him crying (as they often traveled and extensively). Luckily they were back the next day!

I sincerely pray she shows up and you won't have to worry any longer.

Respected Contributor

Yes, check with your neighbors .... our Himalayan  accidentally escaped through an open window.... she ended up in the garage of a neighbor who never bothered to check after we asked him to look there~!   A few days later, we got the phone call.  

Please let us know when you find your precious cat.

Trusted Contributor

I said a prayer to St. Francis to help find Scout and bring her home safe and sound.  Also, check with your local animal shelters and give them all the info about Scout too.  If you think someone took her check around your neighborhood and talk with your neighbors.  Maybe someone knows something,  Good Luck and prayers to find Scout.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have agonized over cats too many times so that I now only let cats go outside under supervision and preferably not at all. It's hard to do, because many of us perceive them as free spirits that like to wander and who like to be allowed outside on their own terms, but it's really not safe out there... I sincerely hope you find your kitty, because I know how terrible it is to be kept wondering and missing your pet. When she returns, please consider not letting her outside unless you or someone else can be with her.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry you've lost Scout.  I can tell how very worried you are.  I hope she''s safe and will show up soon.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Has there been a trash pick-up since she went missing?  If so, check with your neighbors again.  If they stow their trash cans in an enclosed area have them check.  Sometimes they get trapped accidentally in a shed or garage.

Try placing her litter box just outside your door.  They have a great sense of smell at long distances and that might help her get home.

Don't know if you're on facebook.  If not, I would join at least temporarily.  Check to see if there is a lost and found pets group in your area.  If so, review any postings.  If she's not already posted as found, then you can post a lost pet post, include her photo and be specific about the area she's lost.  I get frustrated when someone just posts the town or city name.  The more specific info provided the better your chance of someone spotting her and if they can't get her, they will let you know where she's been seen.

We've had people post their pets and keep reposting every week, never giving up.  That's a GOOD THING because there have been quite a few who have found their pet months after it was first reported missing.  Never give up hope.

Prayers you find her soon.

ETA - check your local shelter and any local rescues.  Often people just assume any cat they see roaming as being abandoned.  I guess they just have the mindset that all cats must be indoor cats.