Respected Contributor

Re: Limping after laying down for awhile

Could possibly be a torn ACL/CCL. 

Trusted Contributor

Respected Contributor

One of our dogs did the same thing when she was young, it was her front leg (and always the same leg).

She would occasionally wake up, go to bear wt on it and pick it up crying. In a few moments she was perfectly fine and like you it did not bother her ANY OTHER time.

After a lot of tests the vet thinks her leg fell asleep while sleeping and the sensation upset her.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday  how old is she? Just like we get stiff and sore after over doing it sometimes, dogs do as well... and if she is 7 plus that may be some of it.  Or she may have  just pulled a muscle. I would keep an eye on the situation... not rush to the vet yet and see if it does not get better.     Give the situation a month  and see if it does not get better.....  If it is still a concern after a month, sure, go and have it looked at.  

We throw the ball a lot for my 6 1/2 year old Golden Lola.  She loves to catch the balls up in the air.. one day I noticed on my walk with her she was limping... so, we cut back on the air balls and now just  do grounders.  The limping stoped a few days later so no big concern....  After age 6 or so dogs are not the spring chickens they think they are. We have to decided for them what is best Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@AmericanBulldogMom wrote:

yes.... but  this would be the WORSE CASE SCENARIO. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@AmericanBulldogMom wrote:

yes.... but  this would be the WORSE CASE SCENARIO. 

Yes this could be a bad situation, yet if it is a particial tear you would want to prevent further damage.  If you don't know what you are dealing with you can do further damage by waiting. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@ccassaday  how old is she? Just like we get stiff and sore after over doing it sometimes, dogs do as well... and if she is 7 plus that may be some of it.  Or she may have  just pulled a muscle. I would keep an eye on the situation... not rush to the vet yet and see if it does not get better.     Give the situation a month  and see if it does not get better.....  If it is still a concern after a month, sure, go and have it looked at.  

We throw the ball a lot for my 6 1/2 year old Golden Lola.  She loves to catch the balls up in the air.. one day I noticed on my walk with her she was limping... so, we cut back on the air balls and now just  do grounders.  The limping stoped a few days later so no big concern....  After age 6 or so dogs are not the spring chickens they think they are. We have to decided for them what is best Smiley Happy

She just turned two. I doubt it's a torn ACL. The girl would not be walking if you seen how she runs around be does zoomies.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ccassaday  Your pup may have a touch of arthritis even at her tender age.   So do I,  and may first few steps after sitting awhile are very tentative.   What kind of dog is it? 

She is a golden. She is nice and lean at 63 lbs.  My dad says she is to thin. My mom keeps telling him she has to stay lean. Anyway as I am typing this she just ran up the stairs and back down after the the kids then up on me in the chair. I would be super concerned if she did it when always getting up. She never does it after laying on hard kitchen floor. I really do think it's when she curls her legs under her when she lays by my chair. It really does sound like her leg goes to sleep.

Esteemed Contributor

My sisters lab tore both his ACL so we know what that looks like. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ccassaday  Your pup may have a touch of arthritis even at her tender age.   So do I,  and may first few steps after sitting awhile are very tentative.   What kind of dog is it? 

She is a golden. She is nice and lean at 63 lbs.  My dad says she is to thin. My mom keeps telling him she has to stay lean. Anyway as I am typing this she just ran up the stairs and back down after the the kids then up on me in the chair. I would be super concerned if she did it when always getting up. She never does it after laying on hard kitchen floor. I really do think it's when she curls her legs under her when she lays by my chair. It really does sound like her leg goes to sleep.

@ccassaday

My granddog, Jasper, has been limping on his right front leg when he first gets up after a nap.  Sometimes he limps, sometimes he doesn't.  He plays very rough with no limp, goes up and downstairs, and goes on his zizzes with no limp.  My son is putting off taking him to the vet's because it is sporatic.  I keep telling him to do it soon.  I think April is too long to wait for your furbaby to see the vet.  The vet will decide if he needs to be x-rayed and where.  Good luck!!