Super Contributor

We have 2 new Birman kittens in our home. They are adorable. They are 3 months old.

We've had them about 10 days. So far, one has taken to trying to bite us while kneading us. I suspect it's a mom cat/kitten behavior. 

Is this normal? 

I see her do this with the other kitten, her sister and they seem to work it out. However, as a human I don't want anyone biting me, even if they are playing.

How do you stop this behavior?

Trusted Contributor

your kitten is biting because she;s teething, at 12 weeks their little milk teeth are shedding and the permanent canines are erupting. Just put the kitten on the floor and distract with toys to chew on, this behavior will stop eventually as long as the kitty is socialized properly. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Super Contributor

When my cat was a kitten she would do that while being cuddly and kneading.  She doesn't do it anymore.  I think it's just a normal kitten thing, she should grow out of it.

Respected Contributor

This is going to sound stupid, and maybe it was just my cat.

But when our bengal kitten would get a little rough with his "mouthing", we'd yell "OW!".  He'd stop and eventually learned when he got too rough.

He also learned the word "bink".  We learned that from his great-grandma cat that we later adopted.  She'd thump him on the head with her paw when he got too rough, and we'd finger-flick him in the same way with "you're gonna get binked!"  It was kind of funny, all we'd have to warn him was "bink" and he'd back off.

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

When my pup did this I growled at him

Honored Contributor

I've learned that whenever a kitten or cat tries to bite, say "Ow" and stop whatever you were doing.   They usually will get the idea they did something wrong.

Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

This is going to sound stupid, and maybe it was just my cat.

But when our bengal kitten would get a little rough with his "mouthing", we'd yell "OW!".  He'd stop and eventually learned when he got too rough.

He also learned the word "bink".  We learned that from his great-grandma cat that we later adopted.  She'd thump him on the head with her paw when he got too rough, and we'd finger-flick him in the same way with "you're gonna get binked!"  It was kind of funny, all we'd have to warn him was "bink" and he'd back off.

Not stupid at all! You can learn a lot from watching your cats 'communicate' with each other and if you (the collective you) pay attention you'll find them using kitty 'communication' on you.

My husband plays rough with my Siamese, Sophie, and she adores it and him BUT when she's had enough she'll sit back and start blinking at him! If you watch Jackson Galaxy 'I love you' is supposedly the message but I'm more inclined to believe it's a submissive gesture...kind of like yelling 'Uncle!'

LOL