Contributor

Recently found out my twelve year old siamese cat has a thyroid condition and needs medication twice a day.  I mixed it in her wet food and she has gotten strong and sleek again.

However,  she  has gotten finicky about her food and doesn't get her meds when she won't eat..

She loves Reddi Whip.  I'm wondering if it woulod be OK to mix her medicine in the reddi whip or would it be better to let her get hungry so she has to eat the wet food.  Any ideas for me?

Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

Re: KiKi's Thyroid Medication

my kitty, Ricky, is on thyroid medicine for the last five years.  He's 18 now.  I put it in his food and he eats it.  That wasn't always the case.  I've read that you shouldn't hide it in their food because they will grow to dislike their food.  I ended up taking a piece of deli Turkey and cut it into small pieces and he'd eat that with the pill wrapped in it.  That worked for a long time, then he wouldn't eat the turkey.  I'm back to using the food with no issues. 

Honored Contributor

Id sneak her pill into anything she'd eat.   It's so much easier to medicate dogs because they usually swallow the host substance in one huge gulp. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Is it in a pill form?  Giving pills to cats can be tricky but can be done.  One hand on their head with thumb and finger reaching to grip the teeth in the back and tip their head back a bit, this often results in the lower jaw going slack for a second or two to allow you to put the pill at the very back of their throat, close the mouth while keeping their head still tipped back, then stroke their throats....

Sounds impossible I know, but with practice it can work....  

(I also see nothing wrong with the Reddi Whip idea....) 

Good luck with your little furry beast....  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Contributor

Yes, her medicine is in pill form. I've been crushing them up and mixing with her food. If she won't take it in the Reddi Whip, I will try the technique you explained. Thank you very much for posting it,
Honored Contributor

They're kind of expensive, but Pill Pockets have always worked for me.  They'd be worth a try if the Redi Whip doesn't work.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Do they make Pill Pockets for Cats?   I've used them successfully for dogs and cut them in half or even quarters depending on the pill size.   Velveeta cheese is also good. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Do they make Pill Pockets for Cats?   I've used them successfully for dogs and cut them in half or even quarters depending on the pill size.   Velveeta cheese is also good. 

Yes they do.  I've used them in the past.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

I agree that you should try Pill Pockets.  My kitty loves them and actually waits by the pantry for her thyroid pill.  They make them in chicken or salmon flavor - equally delicious per Kaity.  They're a bit pricey so don't use them as a treat without the medication.  My local grocery stores do not carry them, but I can find them at all the pet stores in the area.

If the Pill Pockets don't work, you can ask your vet about having a compounding pharmacist mix the medicine in a cream that you apply to the inside of kitty's ear - alternating ears from dose to dose.  However, you have to wear latex gloves so you don't absorb any of the thyroid medication when applying it to her ear.

Contributor

I had the same problem and I ordered transdermal ear gel in a twist dispenser from Wedgewood Pet Pharmacy. You just twist it the required amount of times to dispense the gel and then rub it on the inside part of the cats ear where there is no fur. You need to  alternate ears each time you put it on. This dispenser eliminates needing gloves because your hands never touch the medicine. You just have to make sure to clean/wipe the inside of your cats ears before you put on the next dose. Hope this helps.