Honored Contributor

Re: Is anyone else haunted by the images of their pets being euthanized?

I could hardly let our beautiful chocolate lab, Molasses go when he had prostrate cancer.  He was the first dog we ever had in the house.  I remember that sad day but I've moved on.

This dog will be even worse because he stays half way sitting on me at ninety pounds.

May I suggest you seek the help of a professional.  You may need to move through several issues.  I'll keep you in my prayers.

Honored Contributor

I second that thought that you should see a professional such as a therapist or minister.  All of us face loss in our lives, but we go on.  I think you need help in dealing with this. 

Respected Contributor

@MENTL  I'm so, so sorry you are suffering this way.  Please pay close attention to the reply from HappyDaze........I think she has given you some very useful advice.

All pet lovers have had to go through the death of a beloved pet.  My 15-year-old all black cat, Zoe left me in April of 2015.  I knew she was dying, but she wasn't in pain, so I let nature take it's course.  She literally fell down at my feet and died there.  I still have the vision of her lying lifeless on the floor, but I feel better knowing that she loved me enough that she wanted to be near me at the end.

As fate would have it, the Lord commisioned me to take in a stray kitten only 2 months later.  He's been a real challenge, but now that he's grown, I see how it's paid off and he is becoming very attached to me.  I still think of Zoe often, but my guy Al has managed to fill my home with more life than I ever thought possible!  I will never stop having a pet, and Al is so tough, I figure he could probably outlive me anyway!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Euthanizing my pets has been one of the most difficult things I have ever lived through.  HOWEVER, for me, I am consoled that I know I did the right thing.  It does not sound like you have that same consolation, and I am sorry for that because it must be very difficult.  

Edited to add:  I am troubled by your admission that your dog suffered for months because you could not deal with letting him go.  This breaks my pet-lover heart.  Allowing your pet to "go" is part of good pet ownership. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Many people view death as a bad thing.  It isn't.  It's  a very natural part of living.  Every living thing will eventually die. Plants and animals alike.

I have helped children cope with death and I explain it this way:

Our first part of life is spent in the womb.  We feel warm, safe and comfortable.  

Then, we are born.  Though we don't remember, it probably is not a good happy experience.  This second phase of life is the material world.  That's where we are all now.  In this stage we are always learning.  We form relationships and close bonds with family and friends.  This stage can be for a very short time or a pretty long time.

Stage three is the spiritual world.  That's where most people and some domesticated animals go after stage two.  This is the best of all three stages.  There is no suffering and we can hook up with everyone from our lifetime who have passed over.

It is very sad for people who are in the material world to say goodbye to friends who have passed over to the spiritual world because we miss them.  

We should be happy for them and look forward to seeing them at a later time.  Death is not the end.  It's just a new beginning.

Your kitty is happy and not at all upset over anything you did or failed to do for her.  She knew you loved her.  The same goes for your other fur friends.  

You shouldn't feel guilt.  Death can't be avoided and it's not a negative thing.  Take comfort knowing that you will see your fur babies someday. They will be waiting and will welcome you to your spiritual journey,

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had three kitties put to sleep - two due to extreme old age and failure to thrive, and one due to cancer.

First kitty just stopped eating and let me know it was time. Second kitty was only 7-8 but just fading with cancer - would not eat, and also let me know. You can look in their eyes and see they don't want to go on. Last kitty was 21, arthritic, mostly deaf, unhappy, and with kitty dementia, hiding in the dark and eating poorly. She might have lived a few more months, unhappy. I didn't want that.

There were reasons I had some guilt about #2 and 3, but not doing it when it was done would not have significantly prolonged their lives or made them comfortable.

I have always strongly felt I wanted to be with them if possible. Kitty #1 had a perfect, peaceful passing. Kitty #2, my most beloved child - while his passing was peaceful his appearance at death troubled me - his eyes were not closed and his tongue was out. So with kitty #3 I opted to be with her until she was unconscious and knew no more. I then left the room for the final injection. For anyone with doubts I would recommend the last option.

I believe that animals will communicate to you when they don't want to be living like they are living any longer. You will know, or see, when their suffering outweighs whatever joy they might feel in living on. In cases of severe illness or injury in younger animals, you have to go with your own gut feelings - pull out all the stops, some stops, or just stop their suffering quickly.

I understand the guilt for sure, but our guilt doesn't change anything, it just makes us feel bad; our pets are not suffering any more.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I have experienced something like this. In 2007 my elderly husky developed cancer. It was clear she was in pain and i made the decision to have her put down. Even now, just writing about her has me in tears. I don't go a day without thinking about her at least once. Her death wasn't really easy since it took a long times for the drugs to work. The vet said it was because her circulation was so poor. Despite all of this I think it was my duty, as the person who loved her, to end her suffering. 

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze

I am soooooo sorry .It must have been awful for you with your horse. I didn't finish reading your post (I have to go back and finish reading it) because my heart just broke for you. Did someone help him cross RB or did he and you just have to wait it out untill he crossed over himself?

My heart is breaking for you.I am so very sorry. {{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}

Respected Contributor

i am haunted not by the euthanisia, but before and i can't even talk about it to anyone yet. 

Honored Contributor

I knew I'd be haunted with the mental pictures of them dying so someone else took my pets when the time came.  On the farm, my dad would shoot the animals which sounds cruel but that's how it was done.  However, my brother had to hold our faithful old dog when my dad shot it, and he said the dog knew what was about to happen and shook in terror.  From then on, our generation agreed we would use a humane method.