Super Contributor

Invisible dog fence..Talk to me about them (and recommend the best)!!

[ Edited ]

We thought about an invisible dog fence when our dog was a pup, but decided against it. We are considering it now again, but want some advice and opinions and suggestions. 

I have read that some dogs 'break through' it anyway, I read they get used to the 'shock' and decide 'whatever' they want to investigate is worth it, apparently. I could see our dog do that, he is very determined and vary curious. He is a 12 lb shih tzu/bichon mix, and we had him neutered as soon as our vet allowed/recommended, at 6 months. But he still is a very curious creature, and a very determined one at times, and too smart for his own good, a lot of times! So, those are some factors that made us decide against it. Plus our yard is weird, very uneven, patchy, with a lot of little hills (but not that big of a yard). 

Another thing is the front yard is so close to the road, and people fly through our neighborhood (even though the speed limit is 35MPH). The back yard has the neighbors large beed German Shepherd-mixes that are not friendly, and their dogs like to come up to our yard, as is (we've talked to them about it, more than once, they basically shrug their shoulders, as do the local police). ***We cannot do a traditional fence.***

ANYWAY...we are thinking about an invisible fence again. He looks so cute and happyoff-leash. Ugh. Trying to decide and looking for the 'best one'. 

Any suggestions and advice is much-appreciated. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Invisible dog fence..Talk to me about them (and recommend the best)!!

They are great!  We had the guy from IF come and train our old dogs and they did great.  I got a new puppy a year ago and he does great, too.  My husband trained him.  It's very easy to train them,  however there are dogs that ignore the shock and keep on going.  The collars beep first to warn the dog to say back.  My neighbor's dogs never respected the invisible fence, but I don't think they were ever trained correctly.  

Honored Contributor

I've never had a dog or a fence.  Many of my neighbors do own both.  We live on 1 acre lots so it isn't cheap (I guess).

Here's two observations....It keeps the dogs from coming at me.  I just know they are barking and going crazy when I go anywhere near.

Here's the other one.  When the dog(s) get out (I've been told) they don't go back because they don't want to get shocked again.  More than one dog on many occasions has been lost or wondering the neighborhood because he/she doesn't want to go back through the pain!  Ha!

I would think they make the one's where if the dog got out he could go the other way without getting shocked.  I have no idea.  It seems like dogs are pretty good at out-smarting those fences.

Incidentally, the signs in their yards are different so I don't think this occurs with just one particular fence co.  

I'd make sure if the dog got out it would come back.

Honored Contributor

Never considered one for the reasons you mention.

I always cringe when I see or hear someone say "they are so happy off leash"

Take him to a dog park.

You would never consider crossing a busy highway with a small child and not hold their hand because "they are so happy when they are independent"

For whatever reason when I can't walk my dog, I put her on a very long tie-out.   But never for more than about 15-20 minutes.  By then she's ready to come in, she's a couch potato  (70# lab)   I don't leave her tied out if I'm not home, either.

@msh8970

Super Contributor

Ahh, see, you both are more or less making me think my dog will bust through the fence. Not sure if he would equate coming back home through the 'fence' as painful, though, but that is an excellent point, as well. 

I can train the dog and he listens to me, unfortunately, other family members are very lax and the dog 'knows' who he can fudge the 'rules' with. 

Hmm. Thinking this is not a good idea, again. 

Super Contributor

@software wrote:

Never considered one for the reasons you mention.

I always cringe when I see or hear someone say "they are so happy off leash"

Take him to a dog park.

You would never consider crossing a busy highway with a small child and not hold their hand because "they are so happy when they are independent"

For whatever reason when I can't walk my dog, I put her on a very long tie-out.   But never for more than about 15-20 minutes.  By then she's ready to come in, she's a couch potato  (70# lab)   I don't leave her tied out if I'm not home, either.

@msh8970

I would gladly take him to the dog park if we had one local to us. The closest one is an hour away. And I do not really trust other dogs (or some dog owners, really), even when there is a 'small breed' section and a 'large breed' section. 

But you bring up some great points. Our dog is the same, 15-20 minutes outside and he is happy. And I am always outside with him. 

Respected Contributor

An invisible fence isn't going to keep your dog safe from other dogs - other dogs will still be able to come in your yard and attack your dog.  I don't like them, I think they are cruel to dogs. 

Valued Contributor

One of my concerns would be that other animals can get in.

Honored Contributor

I don't disagree but reminded me of a boss I used to work for.

For whatever reason, he had the dog's collar in his hand, I think they had just bathed the dog outside.

Well a neighbor pulled in the driveway and he still had the collar in his hand when he passed over the fence!     Yep, shocked him!  He claimed it wasn't too bad.  Sure.

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

An invisible fence isn't going to keep your dog safe from other dogs - other dogs will still be able to come in your yard and attack your dog.  I don't like them, I think they are cruel to dogs. 

Esteemed Contributor

Some dogs will ignore the shock and do as they please

Some dogs get excited and run through, only to be trapped on the outside of the yard.

Batteries go dead, connections break etc...making  the system ineffective 

Will not keep other dogs or animals from coming into your yard and possibly harming your dog

Will not deter someone com8ng into your yard and taking your dog for resale or even a bait dog.

There are many places other than a dog park you can take a dog for a run off leash.  Could also consider a long lead, I have a 100 ft one I use in open fields.  Dogs seldom go all the way to the end.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.