Honored Contributor

Re: I Almost Had a New Kitten

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I'm really bummed right now.  Last evening, on a local garage sale page, on Facebook, I saw a listing for a kitten.  He was super adorable, 4 months old.  The family is moving and for some reason couldn't take him with.  The listing had been up since earlier in the day with very little activitiy. When I saw the picture I didn't have to think twice, but had to wait for my DH to get home so we could discuss it.  Initially he wasn't crazy about the idea but he came around when he saw how important it was to me.  I had already been in touch with the owner, expressed that I was serious, and said I'd let her know ASAP.  We lost our last cat a few months ago and the house hasn't seemed the same since.  I'm crazy about my dog, but I've been thinking about adopting a kitten/cat a lot lately.  I could barely sleep lastnight as I thought about a name, how cute he was, researching food, shopping online for a new litter box, etc.  I was already ALL IN, just needed to finalize it.  Well, it's a good thing I didn't actually buy the litter box.  

I messaged the seller early this morning, saying my DH was working from home today and we'd like to come for the kitten this morning.  She immediately responded with the her address.  I informed her that he had some work priorities, but we'd let her know when we were on our way.  Great, it's all set...or so I thought.  Within minutes, more posts were being made to her listing.  I private messaged her and asked if she would post that the kitten was on hold, or pending, or something to that effect so other interested parties would know someone (me) was ahead of them.  She messaged me back saying someone else contacted her this morning, right after me, and that she wasn't going to hold the kitten since she already had an arrangement fall through the other day when the party didn't show up.  She said she didn't want to seem like a jerk, but this other person was coming to get the kitten.  I replied that I didn't feel it was right how she handled things, that I already told her I wanted the kitten and so forth.  Her response was that since she had one person already fall through that she wasn't going to wait for anyone, that kitten needs to go, and I could just find another one.  I was/am crushed.  My heart was ready and then she just squashed it.  It seemed as if she was treating this kitten like a piece of used furniture rather than a living creature.  And even though she doesn't know me from Adam, I feel she treated me rather poorly.  What's with people nowadays?

@JeanLouiseFinch

I'm so sorry you missed out on claiming this kitty, but don't feel you were treated poorly or that she did anything wrong.   

When something -- anything -- is listed for sale, it's first come, first served.   You delayed closing the deal and lost out.    Time to move on.

NOW ..... having said that ..... I have had the same experience.    I fell in love with a little kitty at an animal adoption event in a local park, and had my heart set on a little girl kitty that was too young to sell.   I assumed I'd get her at the next event, and was quite excited.  Well, she was sold the day before, and I was crushed.   I was sure she was "my furbaby".

Later in the month  I'm at the animal shelter looking at kittens.   There was a lot of  information on them, and the one that seemed ideal had been fostered, had been neutered, litterbox trained and had been around both children and dogs.   He was made available just that morning, and seemed to be the healthiest of the entire kitty population that was available.

Well, fast forward to a year and a half later, my little Bogey is the four legged love of my life!    Heart He's absolutely perfect for me ..... and he & his doggy big brother are happy and well adjusted.   They make the house a home, as all pets do.

IMO .... you are ready for a new kitty and this one was just to get you going.   LOTS of animals in shelters need forever humans, and you will find yours.     

Please let us know when you find YOUR baby.  Heart  They are waiting for you to come get them.  

@Tinkrbl44  I don't know how things are done where you live or if you've ever been involved in any sale sites on Facebook.  My experience has been that if someone shows definite interest and makes purchase arrangements, they are considered first in line.  Others who follow will say something like "next in line".  If something is being purchased and mailed, billing information is supplied.  That's different than something being purchased in person.  I had an agreement with the seller to come this morning and would be paying in person with cash. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@RedConvertibleGirl wrote:

So you exchanged emails - THIS MORNING - got her address - THIS MORNING - and she gave the kitten away?  What?!

Were you going to go out right away or wait until later in the day to drive there?  Did you set up a time to go there?

I'd be upset also. But like Chyna said, there are so many kittens in shelters and rescues that need homes also.  In my area the local pet store also has adoption events at the store.  Sadly, there is no shortage out there.

@RainyDayGal No, we weren't going to hop in the car immediately, but I told it would definitely be this morning, after my husband attended to a few "work" priorities.  And yes, she went to the second person anyway.  

Awwww, that's kwap!  I'm so sorry, she was definitely in the wrong since you were the first to contact her.  I know what it's like to anticipate bringing a new baby home and then not getting that chance.  You'll be busy looking around online for your next baby.  They do have a way of finding us.  Let us know! 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch

I've never purchased anything on facebook, but have done a lot of buying & selling on Ebay and even sold a couple things on Craigslist.   

IMO, the Seller already had a bad experience with a sale falling through so you can't really fault her since you were not coming immediately.  She doesn't know you.    Someone else showed up with the money before you, and it is what it is.    Even on QVC, you may have it in the Shopping Cart, but it's not yours until you pay for it.

Nevertheless, you will find your kitty and will be glad you got them.    I wish you the best in your search.

Super Contributor

I'm sorry you missed out on this kitten, but know you will find another one soon. I breed Himalayan Persians on a small scale, so even if I have kittens available there's usually only one or two. I've been doing this for 30 years and learned that without a deposit in hand, the kitten is not officially "taken." So many either (1) say they are coming and never show up or (2) come, spend an hour of my time and leave without deciding on a kitten or (3) see #2, but say they have to decide which one and will get back to me tomorrow then never do. Well, quite frankly, unless it is someone who already has one of my kittens (which happens quite often now - last summer, every kitten went to someone who already had at least one of my kitties), the next person who comes and wants the kitten gets it.

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry. I had something similar happen with a puppy once and my kids were all excited. It's so disappointing. There is a kitten out there for you. Don't give up.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch, I"m sorry you lost out on this kitten but hope you would consider adopting an adult and/or special needs cat.  They too need loving homes and all too often are overlooked.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch   This is Kitten time. All the shelters in my area are begging for someone to volunteer to bottle feed them.Spring time is always Kitten time and most  shelters are over run with them I am sure you will find yours soon   .<3

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch, I"m sorry you lost out on this kitten but hope you would consider adopting an adult and/or special needs cat.  They too need loving homes and all too often are overlooked.

@Marp @JeanLouiseFinch Yes! This! One of the best cats I ever had, I adopted as a 2.5 year-old. He'd already had three homes, and had been abused in at least one of them. I honestly think he had  a brain injury, but a sweeter more affectionate cat never lived. We lost him to liver disease a few years ago---didn't have nearly enough time with him---but he was a happy boy while he was with us, maybe for the 1st time in his life.

JeanLouiseFinch, I'm so sorry you were disappointed this time--that would have been one lucky little kitty! There's one out there for you somewhere, though, I just know it!

Honored Contributor

@Marp

My daughter's 21 yr old ferral ocicat cat died last year.

On the way home with the cat's ashes in an urn, her & my grandson crying their eyes out, stopped off at the shelter.

They came home w/2 adult cats who are non related to each other.   Urn & Urnie are their names.  Get it? 173836.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Marp @JeanLouiseFinch Yes! This! One of the best cats I ever had, I adopted as a 2.5 year-old. He'd already had three homes, and had been abused in at least one of them. I honestly think he had  a brain injury, but a sweeter more affectionate cat never lived. We lost him to liver disease a few years ago---didn't have nearly enough time with him---but he was a happy boy while he was with us, maybe for the 1st time in his life.

JeanLouiseFinch, I'm so sorry you were disappointed this time--that would have been one lucky little kitty! There's one out there for you somewhere, though, I just know it!

No, @Marp & @vermint, we haven't ruled out either.