Contributor

Re: How to Give a Cat a Pill

There is a pharmacy in NJ that will compound the medication for your pets and will put into a liquid form and flavor it with chicken or fish flavor.  They send it to you along with a small thin syrige that is marked for dosage.  The pharmacy is  Wedgwood Pharmacy.    It is so much easier to get this in the cat than a pill.  I've been using their service for about five years now, and I"ve never been disapointed in their service.  Like any pharmacy, your vet will have to call in the order, and then Wedgewood calls you back to get your card number and your request for either chicken or fish flavor.  If you have ever had to take a steroid for any reason, the taste is just awful and so are some other pills.  Wedgewood has been a life savor for my furbabies.  Wedgewood also has a web page so you can look them up on line.  Great place.

Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom of course your list forgot one important last effort.

After all pills have been wasted, fingers bitten, household items scratched, 

Take cat to vet office - pay them $50 for an office visit to give cat the pill. somehow those crazy cats always seem to take pills in the office so the vet can't understand why you can't do it at home. JK of course.

I have given tons of meds to my cats and they all have a different reaction. I find that dropping it into the throat and holding their mouth closed for a few seconds and blowing into their nostrils gets them to swallow. (most times). 

some of the meds are vile tasting and I wouldn't ake them either. Cat LOL

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor

@60sgirl

You are so right, LOL!

She was at her wit's end Sunday and planned to do just that Monday morning, take him back to the vet and at least pay a charge for a vet tech to help her!

And she regularly treats her feral cats with antibiotics, she just picks them up by the scruff of their neck and while they're in 'kitten mode', squirts it in their mouth with a syringe, but that's not happening with this house kitty!

She had tried tuna, canned cat food, etc. but none were working. The problem is that the prednisone is very bitter (crushed or not) and the antibiotics (amoxycillin) tastes like bubblegum.

I told her to try canned salmon and so far it's working........for now!

Smiley cat eating.gif
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Super Contributor

Can't get a pill into my cat

No matter what food I hide the pill in my cat knows it's there what food worked best for you

Valued Contributor

Re: Can't get a pill into my cat

Mash it in tuna juice make sure you do not have a large amount of juice and just a few chunks of tuna.  Let the cat smell the tuna for a few minutes until you hear the I want it sound and your pill will be down then you can give the normal cat food with a small teaspoon of tuna.  Store the remainder of tun for the next dose.  Woman Happy

Frequent Contributor

Re: Can't get a pill into my cat

I give my cat an allergy pill, chlortrimeton, that's very small and bitter.  I buy empty pill capsules on Amazon and put the pill in there.  She can't taste the pill, and I have no problems getting her to take it.  With the ear infection, I found it very difficult to get the drops in the ear.  There is a treatment called BNT, that contains a steroid, antibiotic and antifungal that is administered into the ear by the vet.  In two weeks we returned to the vet and had his ears cleaned out and he she hasn't had an issue in years.