Honored Contributor

Re: How long is it okay to leave a dog alone ...........

One time my neighbor and I were talking...mostly about his new gf...and I asked how his old dog was doing. He said the dog was acting old and that he knew his dog was nearing the end. I saw the dog a few month's ago and it appears to be blind and definitely deaf. It can walk just fine. He can go outside through a doggie door but he is on a chain because he digs holes under the fence to try to escape. 

Respected Contributor

OMG this is abuse! 

I thought the question was going to be about how many hours during the day, not days.

On days where we are at work (away for 8 1/2 to 9 hours) we have a dog walker come by. 

This makes me sad .....and very mad!

Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

OMG this is abuse! 

I thought the question was going to be about how many hours during the day, not days.

On days where we are at work (away for 8 1/2 to 9 hours) we have a dog walker come by. 

This makes me sad .....and very mad!

@Abrowneyegirl  You and I are in total agreement.  I hope the poster can or wants to try and help.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Yes I want to help but not sure how to go about doing it.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee  Since you are on speaking terms with this neighbor, could you suggest helping this poor dog in some way??

Does the girlfriend know that he has a dog that is left home for days at a time while he is with her?  If I found this out about someone I was with, it would be SO OVER, but not before I found some sort of rescue for that poor dog! 

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee   Maybe you could just gently suggest checking on his dog while he is away for these extended rondevues (sp?)  I hate it when men (women, too) think with their &#$% instead of their head and hearts. 

I hope you can help.......  I'm rooting for you!

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Here's the thing...since this has been going on, months now, I have become distant from the neighbor because of the "abuse". Makes me so upset I don't want to speak with him. The gf knows about the dog and as far as I know is indifferent to pets altogether. She lives in a no-pet condo. He has told me that she is a very jealous person and that he should not speak to me. Whaaat?? Whole situ is baaaad!!

Esteemed Contributor

I would call animal care and ask them for some suggestions.
Valued Contributor

Hi!  Thank you for caring about the dog.

I know you're trying to figure out a way to intervene and help - but not sure how to do it.  Maybe the guy would be thrilled at knowing someone would WANT to come over and see the dog and let him out, etc.; but, he hasn't wanted to ask someone (for whatever reason).  

Maybe he'd be thrilled at hearing you ask that.

Again, thanks for caring about the dog.  I hope it goes well!! 

Honored Contributor

I know I can telephone the appropriate authorities to handle this problem. Then the  neighbor would know exactly who "told" on him. I feel uncomfortable about that part.