Honored Contributor

Hills Science Diet Canned Dog Food Recall

I just got this recall notice from the Dog Food Advisor and thought I would pass it along.

According to a notice posted at PetSmart retail stores, Hill's Science Diet is in the process of conducting a voluntary market withdrawal of some of its canned dog food products for unspecified reasons.

To learn which products are affected, please visit the following link: 

Hill's Science Diet Dog Food Market Withdrawal

Please be sure to share the news of this alert with other pet owners.

Mike Sagman, Editor
The Dog Food Advisor

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Re: Hills Science Diet Canned Dog Food Recall

Thank you. I certainly hope this is not from a problem that has been going on for awhile. Our dear dog got sick and was put on this food (it started out as a digestive issue) and we ended up losing her. 

I really don't think that was the reason. She was getting up in age. It advanced from pancreatitis to cancer over some months, but these dog food recalls are scary. 

Esteemed Contributor

I read they are going out of business.I'm not saying this is not a recall for something bad in the food,butIi read it is because they are closing down the company. Please don't anyone depend on this reponse to this tread.I am just stateing that is what I read.

Respected Contributor

Source where you read this pleased?  I couldn't find any news about it with Google.  I'd like to know more.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@nomless

She gave a link in the original post.

It's a report from Dog Food Advisor.  Anyone can sign up to get notified of future recalls.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach, thanks for pointing me to the link, but that's about the recall.  

What I am interested in, though, is a link to the news about Hills going out of business which @MalteseMomma mentionrd.  I searched that and couldn't find a thing.

Honored Contributor

Got it, @nomless

I guess I didn't know which one you were referring to.

I did find this from a couple of years ago:  http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887324761004578281832634101580

Since Colgate bought Hill's, consumer knowledge about pet food changed, and not in their favor.

Also found this: http://truthaboutpetfood.com/voluntary-withdrawal-hills-science-diet-canned-pet-food/

The comments is the most interesting.  All biased, of course, but not necessarily untrue.  I didn't find anything about going out of business.  I don't understand why they use such poor quality in their foods.

I wouldn't feed Hill's to my pets.  Too many "by-products."

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Thanks, Homegirl.

Esteemed Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I read they are going out of business.I'm not saying this is not a recall for something bad in the food,butIi read it is really  because they are closing down the company. Please don't anyone depend on my reponse to this thread.I am just stating that is what I read.

This was posted on a Dog Food Face Book page and i am so sorry ,I cannot find it again.

But, If you reserch Hills Science Diet,you will see so many pets died from this food many years ago. Not posts from this recent recall although you may find some from now .I'm trying to remember what yr  i researched it, (lets see,my Corgi died 4 yrs ago (old age not food) maybe 5 or 6 yrs before that) I was researching food,when there were so many recalls.I read so many deaths from HSD also Royal Canin ,I was shocked. My Vet had recomended this food and I was glad I didn't use it for very long myself.

Again ,I am sorry I cannot retreve the original post that I read on FB

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I read they are going out of business.I'm not saying this is not a recall for something bad in the food,butIi read it is because they are closing down the company. Please don't anyone depend on this reponse to this tread.I am just stateing that is what I read.

That would be wonderful, their "food" has a horrible ingredient deck. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval