Respected Contributor

Re: Here's my new pack member

Something quirky about my Tonks.  She's got a triple coat!  She's got the traditional lab coat with the outer coat and then the fluffy water repellant undercoat.  When I was petting her and digging my fingers into her coat I felt pricklies.  I was afraid that maybe she had gotten into some burrs or something that had worked it's way down to her skin.  When I parted her fur though what I found was short white basset hairs!  I showed it to my Vet and she laughed along with me.  She said she'd never seen something like that, but that's what it appeared to be.  The basset hair can't lay flat because of the fluffy coat, so they stick up and are prickly!!

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

Something quirky about my Tonks.  She's got a triple coat!  She's got the traditional lab coat with the outer coat and then the fluffy water repellant undercoat.  When I was petting her and digging my fingers into her coat I felt pricklies.  I was afraid that maybe she had gotten into some burrs or something that had worked it's way down to her skin.  When I parted her fur though what I found was short white basset hairs!  I showed it to my Vet and she laughed along with me.  She said she'd never seen something like that, but that's what it appeared to be.  The basset hair can't lay flat because of the fluffy coat, so they stick up and are prickly!!

Oh goodness @Buck-i-Nana she is so beautiful and I am so happy you found each other as I wish you all a happy and healthy life . . . God bless!  Heart

Super Contributor

So happy for you!! Sounds like it was meant to be! What is her name?

Respected Contributor

@bichon mom wrote:

So happy for you!! Sounds like it was meant to be! What is her name?

@bichon mom- Her name is Tonks

Esteemed Contributor

She is a beauty, Congratulations, Tonks is a very lucky girl to have found her furever home, may you and your family and all your fur kids live with love & kisses, blessings to all of you!

Valued Contributor

Awwwww-beautiful Tonks!!

Wishing you all a long, healthy, happy life together.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for sharing the additional pictures, Buck-i-Nana!  I can't help but wonder, looking at your new sweetie, if she isn't a purebred Labrador who was born with dwarfism?  I know that the gene was seen in the German Shepherd breed some years ago, and breeders had to co-operate to eradicate it from the gene pool.  I believe it can occur in any mammalian gene pool, so it wouldn't surprise me to hear it shows up in Labradors from time to time.   It would be interesting to do a DNA test on your girl, it might wind up surprising everyone.

Honored Contributor

What a wonderful addition to your "pack".  She did get shorted on the legs!  Smiley Happy  I bet she is happy to live with you now! 

Honored Contributor

Tonks is so cute Heart

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

That is one furry heart warmer!!!