Respected Contributor

My 13 year old springer is having weakness in the back legs and I am going to buy the Help him up harness.  I thought I would see if any of the dog lovers here have it and can comment on it.  Looks really great and I think will be a godsend to help him on the stairs ( We live on the second floor) amd for in a out of my Jeep.

Respected Contributor

There are several different types of assist harnesses, and I have one from Orvis that supported the front end of our English Setter. My sister used a hind end harness awith one of her Goldens. Both were really helpful in assisting and having the dog continue to do as much as possible in their mobility. Best wishes to you.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Super Contributor

For one of my golden retrievers I used a firewood carrier to help him get up and moving.  It was a rectangular piece of leather with leather handles at each end.

Available at hardware stores.  This could help untli/if you find something more to your liking.

Honored Contributor

Re: Help him up harness

[ Edited ]

I used one to help my old boy up before he passed away and it really helped. Once up, he could walk pretty well but if it were a slippery surface, we still used it since he wasn't so sure footed on those types of surfaces. Definitely helps them going up stairs too and makes them feel less nervous about going up them. We didn't use it to help him get in and out of the car though- we just both lifted his back end up even though he weighed over 120 lbs. I was worried it would put too much pressure on his tummy if we tried to actually lift him up with it.

For one of my other dogs (180lbs) that collapsed unexpectedly one day, we didn't have one of these harnesses and just used a large towel (and brute force!!!) and that worked pretty well in a pinch but I am thankful for the harnesses.

One of my other dogs has hind end weekness due to being Cushingnoid and we almost thought he'd end up needing this soon but the miracle that has helped strengthen his hind legs has been the underwater treadmill at our canine physical therapy. He is now running around again and is much more surefooted. It brings tears to my eyes how much better he is doing now- so happy to see him run again.

Good luck to you!

Honored Contributor

I had a nightmare experience last November when my big 80lb collie boy (avatar) suddenly completely lost the use of his back legs.  It was a Sunday and it took me and 3 friends to get him in my SUV to take him to the emergency vet, even with one of the slings and a ramp.  He was just too heavy for us to manage, although he tried hard to help.  In the end I had to euthanize him and I vowed to never have another dog I could not lift myself.  Broke my heart.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

So sorry for your loss.

Last summer my 100# lab collapsed in my backyard,  I folded a sheet & used it as a sling & it took me forever to get him to the car, bless his heart, I think he felt more sorry for me than for himself.  

It turned out he was a bit anemic.   Got him vetted & he's about good as new.  He's 12.   A part of me will die when he goes over the Rainbow Bridge.   He's that amazing but I will always have a big dog.

@Kachina624

Frequent Contributor

I used the Help 'Em Up harness for almost 1 1/2 years with my Labrador who had degenerative myelopathy. It was great and I can highly recommend it. I also used a lift harness I made myself with a kitchen towel with canvas webbing handles. A long bath towel under the belly also works.

I really liked the Help 'Em Up harness for steps/stairs and getting in and out of the car because it had two parts with different grips.

Good luck with your springer!

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 I had two rough collies and I miss them so much!  Due to my allergies (trouble finding a good groomer) and living in the south now, I doubt I will ever have another. They are the best!

Trusted Contributor

My Holly suffered from IVDD, a spinal issue that caused her to walk very unsteadily.  The group that helped was Dodgerslist, named after a dog with that problem.   Look through their website.   They have a new harness that they are trying for dogs with mobility issues.