Honored Contributor

Re: Have a potty problem with my newly adopted dog

[ Edited ]

I have a friend who got a dog from a shelter whose only reason the family gave him up was that he could not be housetrained. She tried all the usual things then said she was going to try what she used to potty train her son. She got a bottle at the dollar store that you put ketchup in and can squirt it out the top - filled it with warm water and every time she wanted him to pee she would squirt his genitals with the water, gently. then when he went she would praise and give him a treat. it worked very quickly.

She claims this is an old country , old fashioned way to potty train a child. I never heard of it , but it worked for her on both her son and the dog - so give it a try.

Super Contributor

My dog was adopted at 9 months and rescued from an abusive environment.  The dog, and two others in the same household, were allowed to go potty in the house and were sporadically let outside to do their business.  

The poor thing didn't know how to go potty when I'd take her outside on a leash.  She'd just walk and sniff, but do nothing.  She held it in the entire 500 plus mile trip, though I had given her plenty of opportunities to go.   

She is half pure-bred with the hyper personality that goes with it.  Everytime my husband or I would come home, she would get so excited that she would tinkle on the floor. I thought I'd be cleaning up messes forever!  I'd often find poop near the door, too.

One day I placed papers down in one corner of the floor and when we enter the house, we'd say "On the paper!" and she quickly learned that is where we would pet and  love on her when we'd walk in the door.

I said all that to say this.  Most dogs are smart and want to please their owners.  They just need training with praise to get them to do what they need to do.  Be consistent and in no time your little guy will learn that outside is for potty.   Don't wait for him to signal that he needs to go, but just take him out every hour or two until he gets the hang of it.  

I'd also check with the vet to make sure your pet doesn't have a health problem that may be causing the trouble.  

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Respected Contributor

That is a tough one. I know someone that has a 7 year old male not neutered and he still pees in their house. Husband refuses to neuter the dog and they are not home enough to let him out often.

When I got Teddy who was 4 months old I took her out every hour and she would come in and pee 5 times on the carpet. Drove me crazy. She finally learned by watching my other two dogs which took months but she never had another accident in the house until this year at 17.  

Now that she is over 17 she is peeing and pooping because of her age and back legs and it is very challenging. I carry her outside all the time and she weighs 20 pounds. I finally figured out to put a dog tray down by the back door with a pee pad and she goes in that. I have learned to express her bladder on the tray and she will pee.   

She eats like a horse so I can't let her go yet and she is healthy otherwise.

Some dogs take longer than others to learn this, be patient and walks would help especially in a male dog. Leave him out with the other dogs quite awhile so he will pick up their behavior.