Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever asked you to take their animals when they die?

I have made arrangements for my pets, and our foster failure had two different homes before us because of her owners passing.  Our Darcy was in many pounds before she came to us at age 7 and I never want her to have to go back to living in a pound.  Ours will have plenty of money to live well, but I certainly hope to outlive them.  The only one that I have to worry about is our new cat, Bridge, who lived outside of our home for a year and is now mostly an indoor cat.  He is about 3, which is much younger than I like.  We usually only adopt seniors, but he really adopted us.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Does this arrangement have to be made in legal writing?

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

Does this arrangement have to be made in legal writing?

@Missy  It's often included in a will.  If there's any question about the heirs understanding what to do, I'd put it in writing. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

My sister will take Chloe if anything happens. My mom has made it clear if for any reason she can't keep her she should go to GRRACE which is the golden rescue in Indiana. A lot of people will leave money in a trust. They don't just hand it over because then who knows if they would take care of the dog and just take the money.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@hoosieroriginal

One of my best friends has a rescue greyhound. 

He's a very gentle and loving dog. 

Here he is  - his name is Daniel :-)

daniel.jpg

@house_cat - love that face!   They have the cutest faces!  Someone brought their new greyhound to the meet - her name was Honey and she was a small female with just the most feminine little face and sad eyes - she was beautiful!

Honored Contributor

We've never been asked to take anyone's pets.  I hate to even think about being without my dog, but DH and I are healthy so I believe we can reasonably expect to outlive him.  I don't have the same confidence regarding our kitten.  While I know anything can happen at any time, we've had a few cats who have lived very long lives.  Even though DH and I are healthy now, who knows what kind of shape we'll be in 15 yrs. from now?  Because of that, I've already asked one of our children if they would take the cat if need be.  They immediately agreed.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

After living and working several years in Thailand, my cousin was being transferred to work in another country and couldn't take their family dog along.
He asked my mother to accept their black lab mix, stating if he left it behind in Thailand it would quickly be killed and eaten. They eat ALL dog, but he said black dog was considered a delicacy.

Yes, she accepted the dog.

Valued Contributor

missy1,

It is always a good to have important issues in writing leagally.  It protects your final wishes.

Valued Contributor

That was nice of you to except this responsibility,

You have not received a call that is good she could still be living and happy. Although It would have been nice if she would have called and said thank you.

Valued Contributor

DiAnne, 

Sadly you are correct a responsible adult would not want a puppy.  I believe it is gifted to them if they have one.  Most companies have a three day policy for this reason.