Honored Contributor

Great News! Thank you Ohio for voting thru a law that 1st offense animal cruelty is a class 5 felony

I am unable to post the news article. If someone would please help with posting this. The article explains what is considered animal cruelty and the punishment. 

I think this is great news!

Respected Contributor

Re: Great News! Thank you Ohio for voting thru a law that 1st offense animal cruelty is a class 5 fe

I'm pretty sure the post will be deleted, if you post the article.

Honored Contributor

Re: Great News! Thank you Ohio for voting thru a law that 1st offense animal cruelty is a class 5 fe

Just awaiting John Kasich's signature:

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A bill that would make cruelty to pets a felony -- known as Goddard's Law -- passed the Ohio House and Senate on Wednesday.

House Bill 60 makes knowingly causing physical harm to a companion animal a fifth-degree felony, punishable by six months to a year in jail and a $2,500 fine. That includes depriving a pet of food, water or shelter.

The bill unanimously passed the Senate and the House concurred with amendments in a 92-1 vote.

The bill is named after ****** Goddard, a long-time WJW Channel 8 weatherman and animal activist. Goddard, 85, announced his retirement last week.

Bill sponsor Rep. Bill Patmon, a Cleveland Democrat, thanked his colleagues for passing the bill, which had failed to pass in a previous legislative session.

"Something people said was impossible is possible tonight," Patmon said.

The bill also:

• Requires state officials to develop resources to help veterinarians identify situations where owners use their pets to get opioids.
  • Imposes mandatory time in prison for assaulting a police dog or horse that dies as a result of its injuries.

From cleveland.com website.

Frequent Contributor

I hope this law passes & it is ENFORCED! Ohio has a very lenient view of animal cruelty.  There have been many horrific stories of animal cruelty & the owners have received minimal punishment. It is about time Ohio has updated their protection of animals.

Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.”
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A big thumbs up!!!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze

Thank you for posting the article. Hopefully all states will pass laws that ensure that people who are mean to animals are charged will felonies🌹

Respected Contributor

I was just going to share this wonderful news with the group!

I am thrilled to hear this.

I have NO TOLERANCE for animal cruelty, NONE.

These crimes should be taken very seriously because (I believe) anyone so disturbed who does hurtful, mean, terrible things to animals would just as likely do terrible things to anyone who can not speak for themselves like small children, people with disabilites, and frail seniors.

Respected Contributor

About time for this too!

A proposed California law will legally allow people who spot animals trapped in a hot car to liberate those pets as part of a rescue.

And by "liberate," we mean "smash a stranger's car windows" to get to a (likely) panting dog.

AB 797 is known as the "Right to Rescue Act," and was proposed by lawmakers to allow Good Samaritans to avoid lawsuits when trying to save an overheated animal.The law already protects peace officers, humane officers and animal control from civil litigation, but will expand to include firefighters, emergency responders and citizens.

IMHO anybody who leaves an animal trapped in a hot car deserves to get their window smashed....and ALSO deserves a good boot in the a ......(don't want to get poofed)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

'BOUT DAMM TIME!

Animals deserve nothing less but to be admired, respected, & revered.

Super Contributor

I always wonder why civilized countries still have petty sentences for animal cruelty so this is very good news and it is definitely time that other states followed Ohio's lead.  I remember about three years ago in the UK when a lot of fighting broke out after a football match and there were injuries, etc., and one belligerent fan ran up to a police horse and punched it in the face.  The public outcry was tremendous.  The police horse received good wishes and gifts from all over the world and the man (who, of course, tried to deny it all anyway) was sentenced to a few months in jail.  Luckily the horse was not injured but he received a lot more attention than any of the football fans who were injured that day.  This story always makes me smile when I think of the shock the fan must have felt when he was actually put in jail.