Esteemed Contributor

With the discussion this morning concerning the bee sting, I was reminded to check on the first aid kit I have designed for my dogs.  In addition to the basics, I also keep several over the counter and prescription medications for emergency.  I have spoken with my vet concerning the uses and the dosage ahead of time, so I am comfortable using them when needed.  There are also several books which explain first aid procedures for pets.  Several years ago I took a pet first aid class through the local Red Cross.  I have the book included in the kit for reference.

How many others have a kit designed for their dog and do you have anything unique in yours specific for you pet?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: First Aid kit for your dog

I was sorry to see no one responded to this.  It is always fun to hear ideas from others.  We travel back and forth from "up north" to "down south" and carry all the "medical stuff" with us.  I have a container with all our first aid stuff, however, I have animal stuff mixed with people stuff.  I use many natural and homeopathic remedies for many different situations.  This is usually my first go to remedy for us and animal alike.

Arnica Montana, Apis Melifica, and Ledum Palustra are just a few of my favorites.  Of course, Benadryl, Immodium, and CampoPhenique are staples.

I hope you get more ideas!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Super Contributor

I definitely keep a first aid kit for my dog! After all, she's my baby Smiley Very Happy I keep benadryl in there for her because of allergic reactions to bees, wasps and other stingy things. I have a hydrocortizone spray from the vet for her, too. 

She was stung by a yellow jacket last year (bit at the same time) and started having issues breathing. Thankfully her mawmaw lives next door and she had benadryl that she could take. That helped with her reaction. Of course, then mawmaw gave her a cup of pup ice cream. LOL

Super Contributor

Muzzles, styptic powder, New Skin, Coban wrap, gauze pads, large bandages, medical tape, scissors, tweezers, eye wash, Zyrtec, alcohol pads, spray Neosporin, Pepto chews, pain meds (if we have any leftovers for them) cold pack ... probably forgot something, but that's the basics. If we're traveling, I google vet emergency clinics before the trip and print out the info ... just in case.

Super Contributor

Hi,

Being an RN, we travel with all sorts of OTCs and prescriptions. Most important, we pack everything for our poodle girls: meds, sweaters & tees & blankets for their body temperature comfort, water, food, snacks, diaper wipes, paperwork on vaccinations, and dental equipment. I even have a wound kit made up for the poodles just in case. We do use homeopathic remedies for the poodles as needed, like non alcoholic milk thistle for elevated enzymes. One of our poodles went to a holistic vet for acupuncture for back issues. I would love to become certified in doggie CPR, but I cannot locate classes in our area. 

Trusted Contributor

Excellent Advice.