Super Contributor

I just want to thank those on this forum that adopted from a local shelter or rescue. Especially the older pets less likely to find a home. I have been to my local shelter to adopt x2 and I wished I could take them all!! Pretty sad experience to look in all those eyes and know many of them will be put down.  I don't want to start a fight about pure breed dogs and rescues. I have both and love them all. Happy New Year to all my fellow pet lovers.

Super Contributor

Nice post.  I adopt seniors. I know not everyone can, for a variety of reasons.  I can, so I do! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

My daughter adopted from a shelter...A little ball of sweet white fluff. She has gained about 15 lbs since being adopted about 8 months ago. It is obvious she appreciates having a home. And she likes coming to see her grandma and grandpa. Love that!  

Now, my dh and I weren't looking for any more animals, but they have found us. We have all been blessed.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, thank you for rescuing and adopting.  I take in seniors with issues.  They're the most loving, sweet and appreciative little souls.  They are a blessing in our lives.  They enrich our lives and do much more for us than we could ever do for them.

Honored Contributor

I prefer to adopt older dogs. I have had puppies and they are a lot of work to potty train etc.... 

New Contributor

I have also adopted 3 older furbabies, and they are the sweetest and just love any attention they can get.

Respected Contributor

All my pets have been rescues since I got my first cat 40+ years ago.  I've had 5 cats (one lived to be 19), and took in my mother's cat when she went into assisted living (she showed up at mom's front door during a rain storm).  I rescued my first dog 6 years ago and she is now 10.  The shelter told me she was 2 but my vet said she was more like 4.  So my current count is 1 dog and 1 cat.    Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Several times I have ended up with rescue dogs. One of them a victim of a divorce, another one owner died and one that the family had a baby. They have all been very loving sweet fur babies who lost their home through no fault of their own.  I never know when there is going to be a phone call or a knock on the door.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I prefer to adopt older dogs. I have had puppies and they are a lot of work to potty train etc.... 

Coming home to find the "etc..."Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at Tue, Jan 3, 2017-10.45.35 PM.pngSmiley Mad

My cat is currently 10.  When he kicks the bucket, I want to adopt a small adult dog 2-3 yrs old & housebroken.

Will train the dog to use the automatic cat litter box I have on those really bad, freezing days & nights to go outside.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

My avatar is my abused rescue Kingston. He has scars down his back from being burned. 

We celebrated our 1st year anniversary of being together this past Christmas Eve!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.