Respected Contributor

Dog throwing head back - question

My friend just called with bad news on her dog - last night she woke up to her 12 year old dog having a hard time getting up on feet (the dog has been fine, no indication anything wrong until last night).  Had drank water and threw it up.  She was also throwing her head back.  They took her to vet and vet sees a shadow on xray around spleen.  Do you think she could have had a stroke since she's throwing her head back?   Dr. said it's hard to know - anyone have any experience with this? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dog throwing head back - question

@hoosieroriginal  I don't have experience with this, but it sounds like the vet was pretty vague with a diagnosis.  Are they just going to watch and wait?  It is hard to tie the spleen shadow in with throwing the head back unless it is a reaction to pain???  I was under the assumption that spleen issues aren't painful, but I could be wrong. 

Is it possible the dog threw her neck out?  I had a dog that did this.  He could not move his head at all and tears were literally coming out of his eyes.  By the time we got him to the vet it must have gone back in place. 

I hope your friend finds an answer to this and soon.  I hate to hear stories like this.  Keep us posted and best of luck!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@hoosieroriginal  I don't have experience with this, but it sounds like the vet was pretty vague with a diagnosis.  Are they just going to watch and wait?  It is hard to tie the spleen shadow in with throwing the head back unless it is a reaction to pain???  I was under the assumption that spleen issues aren't painful, but I could be wrong. 

Is it possible the dog threw her neck out?  I had a dog that did this.  He could not move his head at all and tears were literally coming out of his eyes.  By the time we got him to the vet it must have gone back in place. 

I hope your friend finds an answer to this and soon.  I hate to hear stories like this.  Keep us posted and best of luck!

@tends2dogs - xrays showed no neck or back problems.  Dog is at vet with anemia and they are giving it fluids and keeping it 24 hours hoping that will help.  They will have to take dog to Indianapolis for a CT scan regarding the mass the vet seemed to find.  I'm praying for her dog and for her - they are so attached to each other.  My friend had a dog with a mass in its chest and it's very difficult for them to get comfortable.  It's weird, she said dog has been just fine, then she heard her dog having problems getting up on the kitchen floor last night and found she had thrown up and couldn't get up. 

Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal  I will say a prayer that this isn't bad.  It is scary how fast this came on.  We just never know, do we?  It sounds like your friend did and is doing all that is possible at this point of time.

Let us know what happens.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Could it be  a sezure?  I pray this furbaby gets well quickly

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like the dog has a active bleed from cancer. Most of the time with the spleen it is hemangiosarcoma. They will have to drain it then just let nature takes it course. Or they can have the spleen removed but prognosis isn't great.
Esteemed Contributor

Jake was perfectly normal until the night he started throwing up. Then he went into shock. They drained the fluid and we had him three more weeks. Sometimes if it hasn't spread they can take the spleen out. What kind of dog is it?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday wrote:
Sounds like the dog has a active bleed from cancer. Most of the time with the spleen it is hemangiosarcoma. They will have to drain it then just let nature takes it course. Or they can have the spleen removed but prognosis isn't great.

Sadly, it sounds like this as well to me. I hope not. I hope she does further testing to see what was seen on the spleen- a biopsy would be ideal but even our initial biopsy showed it was benign until it was removed and the whole tumor was tested and they found it was malignant after all. I sure hope the vet isn't just leaving it as "it is hard to know" and is doing more testing and trying to figure out what was seen on the xray (send the xrays to a radiologist!).

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

Sadly, it sounds like this as well to me. I hope not. I hope she does further testing to see what was seen on the spleen- a biopsy would be ideal but even our initial biopsy showed it was benign until it was removed and the whole tumor was tested and they found it was malignant after all. I sure hope the vet isn't just leaving it as "it is hard to know" and is doing more testing and trying to figure out what was seen on the xray (send the xrays to a radiologist!).

All of that takes $. Major $$$$.

It's great when one can budget that in, even with a credit card, but not everybody can.

Some people would say, "Well, then don't have a pet!", which is discounting all the GOOD that an owner has done in the past to keep their pet healthy.

Yes, it is heartbreaking to have a beloved pet suffer, and I would NEVER want any of my pets to have so much as one second of suffering.

But, there comes a point where one has to weigh the cost of the procedures, no matter how badly that they may want them done, vs. the reality of expenses, and the prognosis.

Case in point.

About five years ago, I had a cat that I had raised from a kitten.

This cat was my heart and soul.

One day, he stopped eating.

I took him to the vet, who gave him an appetite stimulant, which worked for a few days.

Then again, he stopped eating.

He was about 12 years old at this point.

I took him back to the vet, and this time the vet told me that they could do procedures on him, but that he would never be the same.

I knew that my cat would not want to be carted back and forth to the vet, if the final outcome was that he was never going to be 100% ever again.

I knew that that would not be fair to him.

And while expenses never entered my mind for a second, I knew what had to be done.

I made the difficult decision that all pet lovers have to make.

I had them ease him to Rainbow Bridge.

I looked in to his eyes, so that I would be the last thing that he would see.

I told him over and over again that I loved him, so that I would be the last voice that he heard.

I petted him, so that I would be the last touch that he felt.

Some might call me "callous" and "heartless" for not going deep in to debt to make my cat better, or even say that I never should have had him in the first place if I couldn't afford thousands of dollars in vet bills.

The thing is, all true lovers of pets do the best that we can for our furbabies. 

Some of us don't bat an eye at spending thousands of dollars at the vets, in order to make our babies healthy.

And for others, that's a financial hardship to do.

And just because one can't spend thousands and thousands of dollars to make and keep our pets healthy, does NOT mean that they are bad pet parents, or shouldn't even have pets in the first place.

Honored Contributor

I would never agree that people should forgo important diagnostic tests to see what is wrong with their clearly sick animal because they don't want to spend the money. I strongly believe if you cannot or are not willing to spend the money to take the best care of your pet, you should not own one. It isn't fair to that animal that trusts you to care for him/her. That is part of our responsibility as a pet owner.

And no, having a radiologist review the xrays and having a vet do a simple needle aspirate biopsy is not that much money. The dog will suffer horribly if it is cancer and that is unacceptable. No animal should be left to suffer.