Esteemed Contributor

I've heard on our local news (Chicago) that dog flu is back.  A few shelters are closed due to flu.  I had to go to Petsmart for dog food and the store was filled with dogs. Customer's pets and they had an adoption event going. It made me think about more shots for my dogs which Im leary of.I don't take my dogs to stores or dog parks. Anyone here given their dog flu shots?

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

I didn't know dogs got the flu. My doggies only get the usual, plus the one for boarding even though it's not required at Pet Smart for grooming

Honored Contributor

I had to go out of town frequenty this summer.  I had to clean out my father's house and sell it.  I took Frankie with me most of the time, but there were a few times that I had to board her.  They required the flu shot.  I like to titer her rather than vaccinating her and really didn't want to do the flu shot.  I felt like I had no choice, so she now has gotten the flu shot.  It's a series of two shots.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@MoJoV  I've never heard of this. Do you have any idea what the symptoms are ? When I sign off here I will check the internet. I've had dogs for 40 years and never had them vaccinated for flu.

Sweet Dreams Graphic #10

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

@pattypeep The symptoms are like human flu...coughing sneezing lethargy.Dogs sometimes do die from it.  It's really contagious,too.  We had a bad outbreak here last winter too. It isn't passed from dog to human,just between dogs.  I hate getting more shots for my dogs. They are never around other dogs.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

It's in AZ, too.    Saw on last night's news that the vaccine is becoming scarce.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@MoJoV Thank you very much. I will be watching my dogs closely, although, they aren't really around other dogs. Next week, though, my schnauzer gets groomed. >:

Have a Delicious Sunday

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

My dogs have been getting the flu shot for at least the last 4 years. Every year I ask my Vet if she thinks it is necessary and only 1 year she did not recommend the vaccine. The first shot is a 2 shot process, and yearly after that. I have been with my Vet since 1994 and when the dog flu first emerged she told me that dogs were dying of it and she would not allow the dogs into her clinic. When a sick dog needed to be seen she was going out in the car to examine and treat the dog. She said that is because the virus had a long life on surfaces. Everything must be scrubbed down and sanitized. So in short, or not so short, yes because my dogs go to the groomer and in general are exposed to other dogs on a routine basis, for walks etc. I have them vaccinated for the flu every year, except the 1 year that she said she did not think that they needed it. You can google dog flu and see when and where it started. It was in Florida where it was first diagnosed. 

Honored Contributor

I have heard of the dog flu, don't know if it is here in maine i am not one that likes giving  vaccines often, i feel that we over do that.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I'm in Chicago area also and got my girl the flu shot after the news reports.