Valued Contributor

Dog bladder surgery for stones

Has anyone experienced their dog having bladder surgery for stones? We took our Pomeranian to the 24 hour clinic for digestive problem which has been resolved. The Xray showed he had bladder stones that the doctor said would need to be removed. We have an appointment with his regular doctor next week.

He is 12 1/2 and seems to be in good health otherwise. Anyone experience this with their dog? If so how was the recovery?

Respected Contributor

Re: Dog bladder surgery for stones

Yes, he bounced back very quickly, but this week I noticed blood in his urine again so we might have another one. 😢

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Frequent Contributor

My Bichon Frise had bladder stones removed.  The Vet filled a whole prescription bottle with her stones.  They looked like white rocks.  She recovered quickly, and was fine thereafter!  Good luck.

Valued Contributor

Thank you so much for your replies.We are feeding him perscription dog for to prevent furthur stones but we need to get the ones he already has out.

Trusted Contributor

@Cindipup wrote:

My Bichon Frise had bladder stones removed.  The Vet filled a whole prescription bottle with her stones.  They looked like white rocks.  She recovered quickly, and was fine thereafter!  Good luck.

I could have written your EXACT post, word for word. We were given a prescription bottle filled with little white rocks.  My bichon Suzie was older and I worried about her undergoing the anesthesia, but she did well and recovered quickly.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I had it done on one of my dogs years ago. Mine had a liver shunt that needed repair, plus he ended up with a blocked urethra. It was a few thousand dollars. My dog was very young though, as it was a congenital issue that caused it, his recovery was really easy. He lived until he was 14 and had other issues. 

By the way, my vet also wanted our dog on rx food for life. After putting him on it for a year or two he had gained a ton of wieght ( and I don't free feed). I ended up putting him on home prepared prey model raw, he lost all the weight and never needed rx food or had stones again ( and that was living another 12 years). The rx food for stones has absolutely ****** ingredients that are not biologically appropriate for dogs, regardless if they meet AAFCO guidelines. I'll never feed rx food again. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for all of the information and encouragment. Our dog is 12 1/2 so I am worried about how he will do. I have noticed he is gaining weight on the perscription food. I normally cook for him... boiled chicken breast, some beef, broccoli, green beans, carrots, rice. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gtx

My Max had bladder stone removal surgery in December 2005.  He was a couple weeks away from his 13th birthday (boxer/shepherd mix). They thought they were going to get them laparoscopically (I probably butchered that word).  Anyway, a scope was to be used.  Low and behold a stone or two managed to work it's way down into his urethra in the short time between diagnosis and surgery.  

He passed quite a bit of blood when he came home (they kept him overnight).  He was a little boo foo'd because they put a fentanyl patch on him - I couldn't get that off fast enough.

He lived to be 15 years and 9 months old.  His death had nothing to do with the stones or surgery.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes,  I do have experience with that.   My baby boy, Max, had 5 bladder stone surgeries over his life time.  There were no problems with recovery, he recovered pretty fast.  He passed away in 2014 at 14 years old.  He also had cataract surgery and had no problem with that surgery either.  His passing was not due to the stones.  About 6-9 months before he passed I think he developed dementia.  It was like he did know where he was and I don't think he knew me....  I still miss him.  Oh, he was a Yorkie and such a good boy...

One other thing, after Max's first surgery my vet put him on prescription dog food, Hills UD.   Also told me to never feed him from the table....