Honored Contributor

Re: Do you ever feel like a slave to your dogs?

@tablescape wrote:

Sea Maiden It's soo true what makes u crazy is what I miss the most. My sweet Sophie a 13 yr old yorkie passed on Monday from a heart attack on her dog bed. She just had a physical in December and the vet told me she was still  a ball of energy. This past year she did need a soil pad down in the kitchen corner and sometimes she missed the center. I would take the extra cleanup all over again. Our yorkie loved everyone. We exposed her to babies, adults , neighborhood dogs. Everyone loved our playful, friendly Sophie. My heart is broken and I would take the work all over again for more time with her.

@tablescape  I'm so sorry for the loss of your Sophie.  I know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I'd never want to be without a dog.

**************  I used to feel that way, too. Now, it's probably best for my particular situation.  For those who have that "problem", you can get your hands on a dog if you help out your neighbors and babysit now and then. We have a couple of neighbors I do that for and my married kids have all kinds of animals.

Our neighbors across the street have a big black lab.  They both work all day. They are good to him. She is a school teacher so he (the lab) is alone all day.  They have a heated garage with a doggie door and he comes and goes as he pleases. They also have an invisable fence in the back and front yards.

I keep an eye out for him. I often go over in the summer and sit on the porch swing.  He gets under it because the swinging keeps the bugs and bees away.  I sing to him and he goes to sleep.  It is the cutest thing!  The neighbors think I'm a little crazy.  He is a jumper so as I walk across the street,   I don't talk to him or pet him unless he stays down.  He does remarkably well now.   It took a few months to get him to listen.  After all, I am not his "Alpha" but he learned quickly that he will get my attention if he stays off me!  Now he lies down until at get to him.

Since he weighs close to 85 lbs.....that is a blessing!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@susan in California wrote:

Yes the spleenectomy happened as an emergency operation on Dec 20 when we were taking care of his dog while he and his family traveled during the holidays,

We got her home a month ago, all the way to Seattle.  The vet in Seattle did a scan and found a small tumor on her liver.  She is on Chemo pills and has been doing very well.  She still likes walks, playing and being with her family.  We are so happy about that. 

Our son was told she may only have a short time, but the family is giving her the best they can considering the children are in school and both parents work.

But they take her out every day for walks and include her on every car ride possible.  That's what she loves.  Every night we text how the day has gone. Our son has a camera set up in his house so he can check on how she is doing while he's at work.

This dog is very special.  She is soulful.  Everyone in the extended family has called her "the best dog in the world."

I know I have written a lot.  What would we do without our dogs?  For us, it wouldn't be happy. Thanks, @tends2dogs for thinking of us.

@Susan in California  Your last sentence said it all.  For us, our life wouldn't be as happy either.  It sounds like this "best dog in the world" is also the luckiest.  Glad he is doing well.  The camera thing is a great idea. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

@jubilant

What a wonderful neighbor you are!  I love hearing about how you still have dogs in your life ....terrific all the way around!

Honored Contributor

I don't have a dog in my life now, but looking back on the dogs I have had in the past, they were a tremendous amount of work, not to mention the expense.

Super Contributor

@qvcaddition: My reply was to that lady. But you are an inspiration to me, still active at 80, you remind me of a lady who has your same age and still very active. I want to be active like you when I get your age. I don't want to be a crippled old lady.

Blessings to you!

Super Contributor

@blackhole99:  Kids are even more costly than any pets. It doesn't mean that people will stop having them. They want their generation to grow. 

And for for many people, including myself, dogs and cats are our four-legged kids.

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I don't have a dog in my life now, but looking back on the dogs I have had in the past, they were a tremendous amount of work, not to mention the expense.

They're a lot cheaper than continually going to therapy sessions!  They offer so much enjoyment, entertainment, emotional support and comfort.  I can honestly say my pets have made my life so much better.

Respected Contributor

I am a slave to my parakeets. They are very attention needy like dogs suprisingly and get jealous when I am not focused on them

Esteemed Contributor

@Margui wrote:

@qvcaddition: My reply was to that lady. But you are an inspiration to me, still active at 80, you remind me of a lady who has your same age and still very active. I want to be active like you when I get your age. I don't want to be a crippled old lady.

Blessings to you!

@Margui wrote:

Blessings to you!

@Margui wrote:

Blessings to you!

Margui622:

I thought I was replying to Susan in Ca about A QUESTION she asked me about Poodles.  Thank you for your comment.  My mind is not 80 and neither is my body as far as still being able to do things.  I have been exercising for 58 years now, through three pregencies and running 8 miles a day for years. Hated running, but I could eat a whole pizza after. I now walk about five miles a day. Two or three with my dog, depending on her that day, and three on my Treadmill.   My best friend, beside my poodle, is 90 years old.  We have been going to a gym together for all these years.  She still goes and lifts weights.  We think this is part of the reason we are so strong and mentaily able to think beyond the box.  I graduated from college for my first degree at age 72 and received a scholarship and was Valedictorian.  I competed with kids in their late teens, but they liked my message.  I know this is a Dog Forum, but I just want to tell you and all the young people and not so young, you can do anything you set your mind too, and be positive.  I do not have time for negative people except to encourage them to be positive even when you think everything is going wrong.  Stay strong, and Women need to quit beating themselves up with the age thing.  Sure we slow down a little, but you control some of that, keep active in body, if you can, and mind.  Keep learning, don't stay in the past, we only have the present and can't change the past.  I am happy for each day on this earth and treasure every moment.  I used to live a life of a lot of stress in my younger days being a single mom with three babies and poor, but we got through it and everyone is successful today.  They did not end up in jail.  They had to work to go to college, I could not afford it, but they all did and very successful.

My goal is 100 and strong. I work out with weights, bike, walking and yoga minimum 3 hours a day everyday.  Then in spring and summer, gardening , two big ones.  I also do volunteering and everything I can with my sweet dog.  Life is great.  One regret, wish I were 60 again and didn't complain about being 60..  I use to think that was old, no, no, was in my prime.  Don't think of yourselves as old, it really is a number.