Respected Contributor

Re: Do you ever feel like a slave to your dogs?

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs - Thank you.  He's failing so fast now.  I got a harness to support his back end, but now his front legs are starting to fail and he's starting to cough off and on.  He still has a desire to play but his body can't and I can see it bothers him emotionally.  As much as I don't want to lose him, I don't want to be selfish and keep him imprisoned in a body that prevents him from enjoying life.

ETA - we have an appointment with our Vet Monday afternoon, it's supposed to be for a steroid injection, but I'm not sure that's really how it's going to go.  Every day is he's declined more and more.

Trusted Contributor

@qvcaddition

I love your post!

What a lucky dog; and you sound happy too! Perfect!

I have a question:  Are Poodles as great as I've heard ?

Our wonderful vet has ONLY had Poodles for his own family pet.

We have had Labs (LOVE them) and mixed breeds from the SPCA (LOVE them).

But as we age, we know we need to pay attention to what we get next.

I can't believe it was a year ago this month that we lost our beloved yellow Lab.

We have a sweet dog  (looks like a fox) from the SPCA and she is almost

ten. 

Just wanting to hear about Poodles.  They sound like wonderful, smart dogs.

Honored Contributor

How could I when he's in my lap, all 85 lbs of him!!!

Image may contain: dog

Trusted Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana

My heart goes out to you.  We had a sick dog last year; he had been sick with Cushings and diabetes for almost two years, so we were lucky.  He made it to almost fifteen, but it was so hard.  We were lucky to have had him for so long after the grim diagnosis.

Our son's dog is now dealing with liver cancer after a spleenectomy. Daily we talk to our son to hear about how the day went.  And this dog is at home alone for many hours every day.

Take care of yourself, and I will be thinking of you as you care for your dog.

Esteemed Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@tends2dogs - Thank you.  He's failing so fast now.  I got a harness to support his back end, but now his front legs are starting to fail and he's starting to cough off and on.  He still has a desire to play but his body can't and I can see it bothers him emotionally.  As much as I don't want to lose him, I don't want to be selfish and keep him imprisoned in a body that prevents him from enjoying life.

ETA - we have an appointment with our Vet Monday afternoon, it's supposed to be for a steroid injection, but I'm not sure that's really how it's going to go.  Every day is he's declined more and more.

Oh, @Buck-i-Nana  my heart aches for you and your guy.   These are the hardest life decisions that we have to make.......when.......You will know Monday "if".  Take a deep breath and take in this weekend.  Your boy is one lucky and loved guy.  You have done right by him all his life.  As much as it feels like it, making this final decision is not doing wrong by him........quite the opposite.  I know that you know that.  I will be thinking of you all weekend.  Take care.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Susan in California  I have wondered about your son's dog.  So he did have the spleenectomy.  How is he doing?  I am sorry that he has to spend his days alone, but that is how life is sometimes.  I think about you and this dog often. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Contributor

Sea Maiden It's soo true what makes u crazy is what I miss the most. My sweet Sophie a 13 yr old yorkie passed on Monday from a heart attack on her dog bed. She just had a physical in December and the vet told me she was still  a ball of energy. This past year she did need a soil pad down in the kitchen corner and sometimes she missed the center. I would take the extra cleanup all over again. Our yorkie loved everyone. We exposed her to babies, adults , neighborhood dogs. Everyone loved our playful, friendly Sophie. My heart is broken and I would take the work all over again for more time with her.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes the spleenectomy happened as an emergency operation on Dec 20 when we were taking care of his dog while he and his family traveled during the holidays,

We got her home a month ago, all the way to Seattle.  The vet in Seattle did a scan and found a small tumor on her liver.  She is on Chemo pills and has been doing very well.  She still likes walks, playing and being with her family.  We are so happy about that. 

Our son was told she may only have a short time, but the family is giving her the best they can considering the children are in school and both parents work.

But they take her out every day for walks and include her on every car ride possible.  That's what she loves.  Every night we text how the day has gone. Our son has a camera set up in his house so he can check on how she is doing while he's at work.

This dog is very special.  She is soulful.  Everyone in the extended family has called her "the best dog in the world."

I know I have written a lot.  What would we do without our dogs?  For us, it wouldn't be happy. Thanks, @tends2dogs for thinking of us.

Esteemed Contributor

I'd never want to be without a dog.

Esteemed Contributor

@susan in California wrote:

@qvcaddition

I love your post!

What a lucky dog; and you sound happy too! Perfect!

I have a question:  Are Poodles as great as I've heard ?

Our wonderful vet has ONLY had Poodles for his own family pet.

We have had Labs (LOVE them) and mixed breeds from the SPCA (LOVE them).

But as we age, we know we need to pay attention to what we get next.

I can't believe it was a year ago this month that we lost our beloved yellow Lab.

We have a sweet dog  (looks like a fox) from the SPCA and she is almost

ten. 

Just wanting to hear about Poodles.  They sound like wonderful, smart dogs.

Susan in CA.

Thank you. Poodles are wonderful. Very smart.  My dog is a rescue from the. Humane society.  She is part Poodle/ Maltese/ a little Bicheon.  She does not shed and so calm and smart.  Her care is Very easy for an older person.

She is my friend. Been with me seven years. Today it was raining,  so not being able to walk outside, we went to her favorite stores, pet club and pet smart. Needed our monthly supply of food.  To top it off, she got to ride in the car for 20 miles.  Loves that.  When we got home a break in the rain, so we only did a 1 mile walk, then a nice bath and dinner, those being for her.  She was very content, warm and we watched TV .  A Great day together.  I have to leave her tomorrow morning for a three hour refresher course at my other volunteer job.  I hate leaving her, but hopefully we can take a good walk tomorrow.

I am sorry about the lost of your dog. It is so very painful.  I lost my cat Shadow in July. Love Labs. That is all my son had growing up, but too much for me to handle. My dog weights 16 lbs.  She is white and gets groomed every Six weeks.  A puppy cut, not a sophisticated poodle cut.  I give her a bath once or twice in between grooming.  Also Angle eyes powder sprinkled on her food so she doesn't,t get the dark tears.  Sounds like you adopted an older dog after your lab went over to the Rainbow Bridge. That is nice.