Honored Contributor

Re: Do you ever feel like a slave to your dogs?

@HappyDaze wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Well, first of all I never understand why anyone thinks they need more than one dog or any pet. I was able to get all the love I needed from one dog at a time. All you do is double up on the workload of owning them - twice as many times to go in & out, twice as many teeth to brush, nails to cut, meals to clean up after,fur everywhere  etc etc etc.  But it is my experience from people where I now live that many people, once their dog or dogs pass away - this is the main reason they don't get another one. They enjoy the freedom of not having them to care for. This certainly is the reason we have not gotten another one. Our lives are so peaceful now without a dog to have to constantly care for.

and with that thinking, it is certainly best you don't get another dog.

At least I know the difference between a pet and a human child.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think I would say I was honored and felt such gratitude and love and loved having them in my life. When I had my granddogs, there was pretty much no one else (aside from my children and family) that I wanted to be with, and when away from them even to go get groceries, I could not wait to get home and see them again.

I would hug and kiss them all day.

I miss them and am loving them everyday still and all dogs do go to heaven but they are always right here with me in spirit and always in my heart.Heart

Like so many feel, ours were the best most loving dogs we could ever have had.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Well, first of all I never understand why anyone thinks they need more than one dog or any pet. I was able to get all the love I needed from one dog at a time. All you do is double up on the workload of owning them - twice as many times to go in & out, twice as many teeth to brush, nails to cut, meals to clean up after,fur everywhere  etc etc etc.  But it is my experience from people where I now live that many people, once their dog or dogs pass away - this is the main reason they don't get another one. They enjoy the freedom of not having them to care for. This certainly is the reason we have not gotten another one. Our lives are so peaceful now without a dog to have to constantly care for.

and with that thinking, it is certainly best you don't get another dog.

At least I know the difference between a pet and a human child.

And you have neither.

So for those of us who CHOSE to live with a pet, multiple pets and our children, please don't impose your choices on the rest of us.

Honored Contributor

My DH went to PT today and a man came in there with 2 dogs on a leash for his therapy.Thereceptionist told him to tie them outside - this is a medical facility, and he did but my DH said they barked incessantly the whole time he was there. Why on earth would you bring  dogs to a medical appt?

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of course they do but I wouldn't have it any other way! I am home all day and I love having them with me.  Today, Chloe was at the vets all day having a repeat Cushing;s test and Brandy and I missed her like crazy! If it wasn't for all Chloe's medical expenses I would have 3 furbabies!!!

Honored Contributor

Well,for the person that does not understand why a person would have more than 1 dog,I HAVE 3 ,love them and i don't know what i will do when they are gone.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

My two buds and all those that went before me have my heart.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I thought that until it became a reality (no dog), and I missed having a buddy around.  We lost two dogs last year and I thought it was time to stop for awhile.

After a few weeks of no dog, we adopted one.  I am very happy with the decision.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden ~ You're preaching to the choir, lol!  I am home all day as well and my day pretty much goes like this.  Get up, feed everyone (we also have a sun conure, two canaries, and a pond out back with one goldfish and four koi).  Then the pups get a small rawhide rollup, then go out back.  I run errands, come back and walk two of three (our boy is too strong for me to walk, otherwise I'd walk him, too)!   I clean a bit, feed them again, take them outside again....you get the drift.  Do I mind?  Sometimes I want to pull my hair out but I wouldn't change it for the world.  I'd give anything to have Dres back and be able to care for her once again.  Some people "get it" and others don't ~ and that's okay.  I look at it this way ~ I'm not going to our villa in France anytime soon so I'm good doing what I've been doing, lol!  Love them lots and know (from experience) that what now makes me crazy is what I'll miss the most when they're gone.

Honored Contributor

@Julie928  ThankYou!  Your post was exactly what I was writing about. Some posters got off track here and made the thread ugly.