Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mz iMac  There's no such breed as a "miniature" collie.  Could it possibly be a sheltie like the little guy in the picture?

When I was little, our shelties were referred to as Miniature Collies.  Now I think the actual breed is better known.

Esteemed Contributor

Collies are calm dogs ( not a hyper breed) but certainly not lazy.

Our Collies were/are always "on duty" protecting us and our property.  Nothing and no one got near our house that we didn't know about it. They are very intuitive.  Our collies were always very protective of the children.  They are very loyal and dedicated to their families.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

Maybe Sheltie is the proper name.  My mother always referred to him as a miniature collie.  Probably because she always had the large collies previously.

Pookie, the miniature/sheltie collie she has now...

Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at Wed, Oct 26, 2016-2.33.45 PM.png

Lance the collie I grew up with...

Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at Wed, Oct 26, 2016-2.36.03 PM.png

When my mother says lazy, I think she means the dogs very gentle nature.  Yes, he was very protective of the family.  More so, w/my mother since she always had full charge of him.

Since my 92 yr old mother grew up w/collies all her life, she knew precisely how to groom him to keep the fur a beautiful sheen & hardly shedding.  Growing up I always remembered my mother grooming Lance BEFORE she groomed me. Smiley Very Happy

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

That Pookie's a cutie and Lance is a handsome fellow!

Esteemed Contributor

@colliegirls That's a gorgeous full white collar on your avatar dog.  Beautiful animal!

Esteemed Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@colliegirls That's a gorgeous full white collar on your avatar dog.  Beautiful animal!

That is actually Lassie!!

Esteemed Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

@Citrine1 wrote:

That is actually Lassie!!

Oh LOL -- thought it was your dog!!  Hahahahaha  (and I thought I knew my collies)  hahaha

Esteemed Contributor

There is nothing like a collie.  I could not resist posting a picture or two of our beloved Fergus, an extra large rough collie who topped out at 140 lbs. -- not an ounce of fat on him -- who has since passed away. We miss him terribly.  We called him our "gentle giant" and I think you can see why:

Schmoo Fergus five years.jpg

Schmoo Fergus.jpg

Honored Contributor

Wow @Sammycat1, I never heard of a collie weighing 140lbs.  He was a big boy.  My avatar dog, Jett, weighed 72lbs and he was a big dog.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 yes, he was a big, strong boy but at the same time playful and gentle.  In a way, he was an old soul...you can see that in his eyes.  We live near a national park, and when we'd take him for walks there, he'd fairly strut with that beautiful fur and bright eyes as people would drive by, lean out windows and say, "what a magnificent dog!"

He's been gone six years and I still miss him so much it hurts.

I've admired your Jett for some time...such a handsome boy!