Esteemed Contributor

Some of you may have read my post last summer about a cockatiel that ended up in one of our trees in our backyard. He called to me and I ended up bringing him in. We tried in vain to locate the owner and no one came forward. He is amazing ! I didn't want a bird, I didn't want a bird, I didn't want a bird, God we love that bird !

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

I remember!   Funny how things work out.  What is your bird's name?

BTW, That is how I became mom to a very loud dusky headed Conure,lol.

Respected Contributor

@pattypeep  That's so cool!  He kind of just adopted you.......was looking for a home.  Maybe he didn't have it so good where he lived previously and you saved the little guy!

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

That's a happy end I wonder how long he was out on his own for. he's lucky to have found you. It was probably let loose on purpose because the first owner didn't want to take care of it anymore. There were a couple of parakeets on the Pacific Northwest coast that adapted to the weather and made a huge nest on a telephone pole that the news covered because it was unusual.

Trusted Contributor

Maybe it's mine How far do they Fly? Just kidding, ours flew away 30 years ago. My 4 year old lifted the top off our cage and it flew away. I will never forget the look on his face.

Esteemed Contributor

@birkin baby wrote:

I remember!   Funny how things work out.  What is your bird's name?

BTW, That is how I became mom to a very loud dusky headed Conure,lol.

Wow, seriously? A conure? They must be pretty good escape artists. I went on the 911parrotalert web site and there were several conures. We first named "him" Lucky, then Buddy, because we felt we were the lucky ones. I had several people tell me that often times owners let birds go because they can be difficult. It's too cold here for them to survive.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

@StraytoStay wrote:

That's a happy end I wonder how long he was out on his own for. he's lucky to have found you. It was probably let loose on purpose because the first owner didn't want to take care of it anymore. There were a couple of parakeets on the Pacific Northwest coast that adapted to the weather and made a huge nest on a telephone pole that the news covered because it was unusual.

I doubt he was out very long. We have red shouldered hawks here that prey on birds. Even doves. There are piles of white feathers once in a while. Given the bright yellow of the cockatiel, he would have been spotted pretty quickly.

Esteemed Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

Maybe it's mine How far do they Fly? Just kidding, ours flew away 30 years ago. My 4 year old lifted the top off our cage and it flew away. I will never forget the look on his face.

LOL. I have heard from people that they can fly 20-30 miles fairly easily. I'm sorry you lost yours. Everyone kept telling me that cockatiels are very sweet and they are so right. He is precious. He says "Hi, sweetie" when I walk by his cage. Melt.........

Esteemed Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@pattypeep  That's so cool!  He kind of just adopted you.......was looking for a home.  Maybe he didn't have it so good where he lived previously and you saved the little guy!

He definitely called out to me or I would not have spotted him. He uses the same high pitched screech here in the house when he wonders where I am, so I have to go to him and tell him everything is okay.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh my gosh, I love this story @pattypeep.  Yes, I remember your original post.  Didn't realize so much time had passed already!  

I'm thrilled for both you and the bird; glad to know you are both so happy with each other.  Woman Happy