Respected Contributor

Re: Chloe needs your prayers PLEASE

@Nicknack wrote:

I am so sorry that Chloe got this diagnosis.  I know you must be devastated but am glad the neurologist was so encouraging.  I'll continue to keep you and her in my prayers.  I hope she'll do well on her meds.  How old is Chloe?  

I have had Cavaliers that were on heart meds for a long time, and I found Pill Pockets the easiest way to give them their pills.  Whenever I would try cheese or peanut butter, they would eat around the pills.

@NickNack

Yes, mine turns her nose up at the crunchy peanut butter I just bought Smiley Sad and American Cheese. But loves liver sausage and the pill poppers the vet sent home with me! Thank goodness, because she is taking her meds with that.  

Thank you! I am so very thankful for you all. 😘

Honored Contributor

@Mustang Shar wrote:

@beastielove wrote:

Mustangshar...

I just read your latest post and my heart goes out to you and your beautiful girl.

Sending tons of healing prayers her way as well as lots of hugs and kisses. Please deliver those for me.

(((((((MUSTANGSHAR & HER BELOVED CHLOE))))))

-------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

@beastielove @NickNack

Certainly not the diagnosis I was expecting considering I got her from an AKC Breeder of Merit Certification. That's a high honor to have that.

chloe is only 8 months old. Pretty young but can be anywhere from 6 months to 5 years for this diagnosis. 

I have emailed the confirmation of the diagnosis to the Breeder, she replied to yesterday's email letting her know what was happening. These parents should not breed anymore. 

I thought I remembered that she was very young and you had gotten her from an excellent breeder.  I really do hope she does well on the meds.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Mustang Shar wrote:

@beastielove wrote:

Mustangshar...

I just read your latest post and my heart goes out to you and your beautiful girl.

Sending tons of healing prayers her way as well as lots of hugs and kisses. Please deliver those for me.

@beastielove @NickNack

Certainly not the diagnosis I was expecting considering I got her from an AKC Breeder of Merit Certification. That's a high honor to have that.

chloe is only 8 months old. Pretty young but can be anywhere from 6 months to 5 years for this diagnosis. 

I have emailed the confirmation of the diagnosis to the Breeder, she replied to yesterday's email letting her know what was happening. These parents should not breed anymore. 

I am so sorry that Chloe has that diagnosis.  Unfortunally, these poor little dogs get this disease no matter how or where they are bred.  My breeder has been breeding and showing cavaliers for many years.  She has never had a case of SM in her line before my dear puppy came along.

She never bred either of the two parents again, and spayed a sibling she was showing who had great potential.

Please be aware that this disease is not a death sentence if caught early enough and treatment started early.  We have no trouble with medications given with peanut butter or liquid meds given with a dropper.  My dog eats breakfast, then stands in front of the cupboard where her meds are stored and waits.  She reminds me to give her the meds.

My dogs are both heart clear.  Unfortunally, that is another problem these Cavaliers have.    

Take care of your little angel.  If she is healthy otherwise, she will be probably be fine.  My dog was diagnosed 4 years ago and is doing great and is healthy and happy and still getting trouble like before.  This disease can be controlled.  A friend of ours has a human granddaughter with the same disease.  Her treatment is going well too.

God bless you and Chloe.

Respected Contributor

@Mustang Shar wrote:

Deep breath....

Sadly, little Chloe does have SM AND fluid on the brain. I'm    devistated, but the Neurologist was extremely encouraging. If Chloe responds well to medications, she may do just fine.

But for an 8 month old pup to have not just a slight case, but moderate with large amount of brain fluid is of concern. 

Pup up just settled into her crate in the kitchen, I think I will keep her in here tonight in case she gets sick.

she is very happy, frisky and hungry. Can't give her a lot of food yet. I feel so much better with her here. 

I can't thank you all enough for prayers and support. Now I need to do additional education and become an expert pill dispenser. The journey is just beginning! Xoxo🙏🏻❤️

Ah, I'm so sorry this isn't the news you wanted to hera.  We will just hope and continue to pray that she responds and will be OK.  Happy, frisky and hungry is always a good thing.  Give that sweet baby a kiss from me - you can never give (or get) enough puppy kisses. Heart

Trusted Contributor

I just want you to know I will continue to pray for you and your Chloe. I'm a firm believer in the power of prayer! Praying you and Chloe have lots of years together!

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Hang in there.  As you might already know, I have two Cavaliers.  The oldest one who was five in January, was diagnosed with SM about about one year of age.  I thought it was the end of the world for her and me too, because I love her so much.

After she was diagnosed wit an MRI, we elected,to,have surgery.  It wasn't easy.  The surgery was very hard on her, but she is mush better and her SM is still there, but controlled.

She still scratches her neck once in a while and knuckles both paws under other right side when she walks.  The surgery couldn't fix the damage, but, it stopped the.progression of the disease.

She takes Gabepentin a few times a day, and it seems to work well for her.  If I forget to give her her meds, she scratches much more.  This drug can be expensive, but COSCO sells it for less than $9 for100 pills.  Some places charge up to $80 for the same RX.

I will send prayers your way.  Try to think positive and hope for the better.  If you need support or have questions, I am here for you.

God bless you and Chloe.

sorry about he IPad typos.,, I can't edit

@Carmie

@     Your inspiring story of personal experience will help @ Mustangshar ( hopefully) very much~

@I believe that @Mustang Shar she possibly knew the ' odds' of this beautiful breed\ at 40%. 

What is more encouraging is that you notified the BREEDERS to stop passing this [ gene ] on. Thinking of a long line of too much inbreeding. 

I had heard of this ' too much' INBREEDING from my husband's high stressed nervous systems having anxiety with Show Collie's. 

I am very thankful for the best medications to help in maintaining a wide variance in controlling SM. 

We have been through one dog having early diabetes that incurred daily testing and insulin, along with diet, one cat having an amputation of the back leg due to cancer, which was a 24\7 watch after surgery, two kitties ( brother & sister) dying of some intestinal disease at the ( around the same time within months) time that had no diagnosis from a biopsy, which still was a mystery, since the 3rd a brother was ' gene free' and lived well into his 18th year from aging. 

Our family pet, a highly bred Beagle developed a disease call St. Virus dance when she was 3 years old. That was THE one heartbreaking disease that would be called a challenge to care for, but she made it and so did we. 

I use to believe that the body's ability to be more normal was environment, verses the gene inherited pool. BUT, not anymore! I am stamping what we are is in the higher percentage of 90s instead from what I did believe 13 years ago. 

Congenital abnormalities is the culprit! 

It' s a full time job, as with a human baby, taking care , but according to your posts, you are willingly ready to undertake this with love. 

You are blessed in having this wonderful care disposition and the means to monetarily follow through. 

We all have our disappointing times through life. Most of us have been there - when we take a chance to go against all odds.

I am so thankful for you to have friends, here, that you can go to, willing and ask for their assistance. The prognostic future appears very good from what I have read, having the same disease with their same breed of dog. 

I know that you are a good person, from your concerns. 

Sending all positive attitude feedbacks to you when learning there are those willing to help you throughout this little life.

" Very thankful for modern technology in medicine that will ease your life, as well for as Chloe's, too. 

God Bless You through everything.

NAES with love for such devoted soul~

Heart

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Mustang Shar wrote:

@beastielove wrote:

Mustangshar...

@beastielove @NickNack

I am so sorry that Chloe has that diagnosis.  Unfortunally, these poor little dogs get this disease no matter how or where they are bred.  My breeder has been breeding and showing cavaliers for many years.  She has never had a case of SM in her line before my dear puppy came along.

She never bred either of the two parents again, and spayed a sibling she was showing who had great potential.

Please be aware that this disease is not a death sentence if caught early enough and treatment started early.  We have no trouble with medications given with peanut butter or liquid meds given with a dropper.  My dog eats breakfast, then stands in front of the cupboard where her meds are stored and waits.  She reminds me to give her the meds.

My dogs are both heart clear.  Unfortunally, that is another problem these Cavaliers have.    

Take care of your little angel.  If she is healthy otherwise, she will be probably be fine.  My dog was diagnosed 4 years ago and is doing great and is healthy and happy and still getting trouble like before.  This disease can be controlled.  A friend of ours has a human granddaughter with the same disease.  Her treatment is going well too.

God bless you and Chloe.

@Carmie

You have made my day! I have hope now and you have confirmed what her Neurologist said to me. I have tried looking for Cav forums to discuss with others, but not having much luck finding active sites.

This morning Chloe was happy and hungry. We took three walks so far, all very gentle, no tugging. But she's been sleeping nearly all day, I'm not used to that. She does have a lot of fluid in the brain, Neuro showed me other MRI's and Chloe shows nearly the entire brain with fluid. That's more concerning with SM being secondary.

im hoping her little body is fighting and the meds working. I will do my best to give her happiness....somehow. It was wonderful watching her sleep last night.

your first hand knowledge is very valuable to me and I hope it's ok to ask you questions. Comcast net Mustangshar   Hugs!! 

Respected Contributor

I read these comments over and over, it gives me hope, courage and I feel your compassion. 

Yes, I sought the Cavalier breed for their loving, lap dog disposition. The joy she has given my disabled 89 year old Mother is beyond words...she's a precious gift from the Lord. 

As a child, my folks would not allow us to have a dog. When I married, I had big dogs. When I retired early, I was mostly home bound with Mom and I was so stressed. Then one day, I started thinking " Hey, maybe I could get a dog that would fit condo life!"

Somehow I found out about the breed, read ALL the risks, chose a AKC breeder and brought home Chloe for the New Year and cold Chicago Winters. LOL.

Very happy she was paper trained, she hated going outside. Went to Doggie Day Care for socialization....she was afraid of dogs. I'm like, come on, you ARE a dog don't be afraid of puppies...LOL. 

Then overnight, it all changed. We are all getting used to it and golly, I know she will truly be a spoiled fur baby with so much love! I need you all. Thank you ❤️🐾🐾👀

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mustang Shar   At the bottom of this link, there are links to 3 support groups/forums.  I found it by doing a general search on google - here.   I hope that helps.

Respected Contributor

@Mustang Shar, I just wanted to send you a big ole bear hug from me. And feel free to cry a little on my shoulder....cry on ALL our shoulders!!!

I've had my fair share of doggie illnesses, but never at this young age. I really feel for you. All I could think of was to look at it from Chloe's perspective. She's gonna be getting all these yummy treats (with her pills in them) and she will have to think she is some kind of lucky and special. Yum Yum, gimme some!

And on the disguising the pill front, try to find as many things as she likes and vary them a bit. Keep her guessing on what she's going to get/enjoy. I think I read she did like the pill pockets...right? That's good. The only remaining dog we have does not. Weirdo!!! All our other dogs were pushovers. Put a pill in just about anything and they would eat it. One of them (Clover) would have given her left paw for some cream cheese. HA!

I will be thinking of you and your Chloe. Praying for much better days to come.

pup