Valued Contributor

Re: Can someone recommend a puppy food

My dogs have a chicken allergy, one more so than the other (and they are siblings). I feed Acana Grasslands, the duck in it doesn't seem to bother them. I tried several venison blends that they just wouldn't eat. One that was incredibly expensive, that is a fabulous food, is Ziwipeak. It's a venison food, but my dogs do not like venison at all. Other alternatives are Lamb based ..I've even seen more rabbit, goat and kangaroo....and Chewy dot com auto delivery is awesome!

Esteemed Contributor

@Quse wrote:

I would suggest Acana or Orijen. It's wicked expensive but actually smells like food. My daughter tried a piece of our dog's Acana (don't ask) and said "It's not bad!"...lol

I'll take her word for it.

@Quse, check out chewy.com for a price comparison on the Orijen.  I recently bought Orijen there at a real savings over what I had been paying and a better price than Amazon.

The only downside is they have a $49 base for free shipping.  I do not know what their shipping charges are for under $49 since I now order almost all my dog and cat food through them.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

We use Verus dry food.  It comes in puppy, adult, and all life stages.  It is an holistic dog food and all of the ingredients are made here in the USA!

It's farily pricey online.  However, they distribute to independent pet supplies stores.  You may be able to find it locally.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

Do you have a Costco membership, @MercysMom?  Once our dog got settled with us we switched him to the Nature's Domain sold at Costco.  I've read that it's a private label of Taste of the Wild.  We've been feeding it for close to 4 yrs. without any issues.  He's eager to eat it and it's nutrient dense so you don't need to feed a lot and yard "deposits" are compact and relatively small.  It's grain free, has sweet potato in the mixture, and comes in Salmon, Chicken, and Beef varieties for adult dogs, but also comes in a puppy version.

Super Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have a membership to Costco and the closest one is about a 45 minute drive from here. We keep hoping they'll build one in my town. In the meantime, all we have is Sams Club.

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Valued Contributor

@Marp Yes, I'm on auto delivery on Chewy. Acana is expensive, so I'm always over the $49 so shipping is "free" and I like that I get the food in a day or 2. Not many places near me carry this food, so I'm thankful for Chewy that I don't have to drive 20 miles to get dog food

Respected Contributor

With having a large breed pup it's extremely important to keep the calcium/phosphorus % very low to prevent bone/joint/hip problems of your growing pup. Research shows to keep them as close to 1% as possible. Many dog food formulas ( inc. all life stage and grain free) do not fall within this range. Hope this gives you a guideline. Its not too high protein or fat like what was 1st thought. 

Esteemed Contributor

@MercysMom  What did your vet recommend?  I know a lot of the thinking now is to NOT feed puppy food to a large breed dog.  It causes them to grow at too fast a rate and therefore it is not good for their bones........could cause problems later in life.  Google for more info.

I can't recommend a store food.  I prepare my own dog food....which was approved by my vet.  I know that it isn't for everyone......it is time consuming and $$$.  There are times I would love to open a bag and pour out food.  If I was going to feed store food, after MUCH research, I would feed canned, NOT dry.  Bagged is usually rancid or soon to be.  Look for fish oil in the ingredients and steer clear of it.  Anything that is listed in the ingredient deck after SALT is so minimal, it might as well not be there. 

Just a little food for thought Smiley Wink.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!