Esteemed Contributor

COULD USE SOME ADVICE...AGAIN

Hope I'm not bothering you, but found everyone's advice on kibble feeding helpful.

I think @geezerette got it by explaining that treats, etc., are given by hand and Shadow-Jaden savors them.  Just fed him today.  At first he, though hungry, did not want his kibble.  Brought the dish over to where I was sitting, still didn't eat.  Began to hand-feed him the kibble, of course he ate it right up!  When done, sat up for some petting and he was very pleased!

So, guess the eating problem is really just a part of another situation I've been trying for figure out how to handle.  Shad's got a real case of separation anxiety.  I've gotten to the point where I can go to church early Sunday morning and he's accepted that.  When going to transfer station/grocery store, etc., he kinda freaks at first but is fine once I'm back in the house.  At first when I used to get the mail he'd freak so much he'd even try to dig under fence while I walked down to mailbox (about couple hundred feet).  Now he's okay with that, I keep going shssh and he quiets down - so I think there's been great improvement there.  If someone comes to house for some reason, had someone come to house to scrape/paint cellar windows, and was talking to him without letting Shadow beside me, he jumped up to look out window (which isn't good for his hind legs) and barked so loud we couldn't hear one another!  The animal control officer came over to pick up some stuff I was donating:  I asked him to hold Shadow's leash while I closed the garage door (coded) and was less than ten feet away.  Dan tried to calm him down.  He said Shadow has separation anxiety, which is quite understandable with what he has been through.  Could not offer any suggestions and just said it takes time and will probably take a while in this case.

Now with the eating situation -  finally realized it's not the three treats per day, it's probably the extra attention given with the treats, seems - while I love him to the moon and back - this is probably tied into a separation thing or whatever - and we may be moving in the wrong direction, i.e., he may becoming more needing of me and not growing in confidence to be alone.  So, if you agree with this theory and don't mind, your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Valued Contributor

Re: COULD USE SOME ADVICE...AGAIN

I have never crate trained.  

My rescue beagle barks and bays loudly, too, when we leave.  When we return she is sleeping behind a chair in a triangle space made by the chair back and the wall.  I know she feels enclosed and safe there while she is alone.  So I wonder if your dog would like a crate?  Not to be put in, but with the door left open so he could go in to feel safer, with a favorite toy and blankie.

The vet said not to make a fuss when we leave, or return for a few minutes, so the dog sees that it's perfectly normal to go and come back.

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme

I wonder.....what if you stayed in the same room while pup eats? I remember doing this when Chloe was about 5 months old. She wouldn't eat and sometime still doesn't until later.

But then, I'd put her food in her dish, grab my coffee and iPad and stay there. She'd eat. 👍😊. 

I did have to hand feed her once. She was very sick, the beginning of her Syringomyelia condition. We put her on a RX canned diet to settle her bad tummy as she had started to dehydrate. She never had canned food before and frankly, I don't think she knew how to eat it. But that was extreme, she dropped over a pound and for a 9 lb pup, that's a lot.

I also keep AM Talk radio on when I leave the house and it helps her.  Now she knows I come back home. 

Esteemed Contributor

@athenian

He is terrified of crates.  That's one of the first things the rescue people asked me and I told them I wasn't into crating.  They were pleased with that since for some reason, not known to them, he is terrified of crates.  The hospital insisted he be crated; I told them I would try but would not force him to use it.  Never used it so I donated it. 

But thanks for your suggestion.  In most cases it would probably work.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mustang Shar

I am in the same room when I feed him 'cause I eat at the same time.  Even when moved his dish next to me, he wouldn't eat until I hand fed him.  That's why I'm thinking this has more to do with separation anxiety rather than not liking the food. 

He just always has to be with me - always.  When I go down to the laundry room, I close the door 'cause not sure he could handle a full stairway with his condition.  But, he's waiting for me right on the other side of the door as soon as I come up.  Same when I go upstairs.

Respected Contributor

1. image.jpeg
  2. Im laughing.....this little one, Chloe who was glaring at me because I chose to play a game in my iPad, is my shadow too! Everywhere!!! Cavaliers are like this, so it was no surprise to me.
  3. Seems our pups have to be around us all the time. She does sleep on the couch when I leave, my 89 year old mom doesn't hear her complain.

but if I locked her in the kitchen, forget it! She throws a fit and I can't have her barking like crazy in my condo.

hugs!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mustang Shar

ADORABLE!