Super Contributor

Re: CALLING ALL PANCAKERS!!!!

Yahooey, your leg pressing weight is more than respectable!

Last time I felt pain in the front of my knee and went to the ortho, he said I needed to strengthen my hips and gluteus medius.  He gave me some exercises to do at home.  I used to think all you needed to do to keep the knees in good shape were quad exercises (and hamstrings to balance the quads), but now I understand the importance of the hips.  You can even carry it further and incorporate calf, ankle, shin exercises, but the hips are very important.

I can't do squats or lunges anymore.  That's too intense for me, but I do lighter horizontal leg presses on my Pilates machine as well as general stretching with the cables.

As for the new gluteus medius/hip abductor exercises, which have made a big difference in my knees, I do the clam:

http://drpeggymalone.com/exercises-strengthen-stabilize-gluteal-musculature/

All the exercises in these images are good.  After the clam, while on my side on the floor, I extend the top leg straight out and do side leg lifts.  Then I turn on my back and do forward leg lifts (one knee up with foot on floor), which hits the quads.  I also do a standing version of the hydrant (shown) and also standing hamstring kickbacks (with leg bent).

Sometimes I'll do passive stretching of my calves on the floor -- sitting up with legs extended out front, point both toes and hold for 10 seconds, then flex feet and hold, alternate. 

When I'm finished, I stretch my lower back and legs by lying on my back and bringing both knees tight into my chest and holding.  Then I pull in one knee at a time with other leg extended on the floor and hold.

The whole routine takes about 15-20 minutes, depending on how much I rest in between and how much Mr. M likes to get into the act.  Whenever I'm doing this mat work on the floor, he brings me his ball to toss, then he brings it back and likes to plant himself usually under my butt.  :-D

Honored Contributor

Oh my gosh @puglet11 - were you at the PT session with me?

At my initial evaluation - weak hips contribute to weak knees. Ideally I would like to do 3 sets of 12 of each of the exercises. I don't. I may do 2 sets of all the exercises. 3 sets of some of the exercises or none at all. Hanging my head in shame. It takes so much time and I just don't do it as much as I should.

1 knee bent and lift other straight leg up (knees meet) with 3lb ankle weight

laying on sdie - lift leg up with ankle weight

clam shell with ankle weight

on hands / knees - kick leg back so it straigtens w/ankle weight

on hands / knees  - lift leg (fire hydrant) w/ankle weight - I do modify hydrant

modify fire hydrant - standing up leaning with straight arms against structure, knee at 90 degrees and rotate (fire hydrant)

I have NOT done this at home. With resistance band around ankles. I walk sideways or I zigzagged backwards. Strengthen glutes and a bunch of other things connected to my knee. Cause when I do this at the session, my posterior. back of thighs, hips are tired.

Honored Contributor

Waving hi to @brbfromTX - hoping that all had a great time and the party bus has returned all creatures safe and sound home.

Honored Contributor

@beastielove take it easy and I hope you are  not running around like a maniac in this heat.

I was feasting on a cold watermelon this weekend. It as so sweet and goood. Lugging it home Saturday was another story. All chopped up ready to consume. You are all welcome to it. 

images.jpeg

Honored Contributor

yahooey wrote:

@beastielove take it easy and I hope you are  not running around like a maniac in this heat.

I was feasting on a cold watermelon this weekend. It as so sweet and goood. Lugging it home Saturday was another story. All chopped up ready to consume. You are all welcome to it. 

images.jpeg

Do you have any left???!!! If so me and all five of my kittehs will be right over!!!Cat LOL

I always take things at a slower pace when the heat gets this intense as I have an irregular heartbeat.

-------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Honored Contributor

Happy Furday Pancakers!

I want to stop by and wish all my fellow Pancake Princesses a delgihtful weekend. 

@brbfromTX when you recover - pls tell us about your trip.

@puglet11 I hope you and your mom are healing nicely

@beastielove You and your 5 kittehs are welcome to the watermelon. Zoe was not impressed. 

Super Contributor

Hi Pancakers,

Mom and I are both doing nicely.  I'll get my stitches out next Wednesday.  Can't wait because this is starting to get itchy!  From what I can see, it won't be too bad a looking scar.  I consider myself extremely fortunate that I caught it early and it wasn't worse.

Yahooey, I have watermelon coming out of my ears.  I didn't eat it for years and all of a sudden, I can't get enough of it, lol.

Beastielove, we have something else in common.  I also have an irregular heartbeat.  APB's and VPB's (atrial and ventricular premature beats).  I discovered it in my 20's when I started working out and taking my pulse.  I kept skipping beats.  I've been tested and checked over the years and doc says as long as it's asymptomatic, not to worry, so I don't.  I know it happens when I'm either stressed or extremely tired.  So far, so good.  I hope yours aren't problematic.

I started walking Mr. M again as of yesterday.  I wasn't supposed to until my stitches were out, but I had to.  I need the activity (for my legs) and, besides, I'm not a bottomless purse to pay the dog walker, lol.  I appreciated her running Mr. M around all last week so he was real tired when he got home and didn't bother me too much after my surgery.

We are looking forward to slightly cooler temps next week.  It will be in the 60's for a.m. walkies!  :-)

Honored Contributor

Monday Morning Greetings

Had the best week-end ever! My beloved niece got married in Vermont on Saturday. The celebrating began on Friday evening and continued on the next day.

The ceremony was held outside in a field that belongs to the resort. The sky was bright blue with puffy white clouds,the surrounding mountains were a dark,lush green,and in the adjacent field, about 25 horses were gently grazing. The reception took place under the huge tent that was set up in the same field. A perfect day for my precious girl.Heart

Puglet...

I've been dealing with my irregular heartbeat for my entire life so I learned how to "pace" myself. I'm glad that you're able to do the same.

Wishing all of Pawsome Princesses a fabulous day and that it marks the beginning of an equally fabulous week! Cat Very Happy

-------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Honored Contributor

@puglet11

It was a glorious morning - comfy temps for walkies. Do take it easy.

is that you Puglet?

images.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@beastielove

I remember you mentioning a wedding a while ago. Your description of the locale is breathtaking and lovely. May your beloved niece and her new hubby ...

Unknown.jpeg