Valued Contributor

Re: Boarding Dogs need advice please!

@Kachina624 wrote:

Request that your dog's be placed in the same pen.  Get an old towel or blanket and sleep with it several days so it has your scent on it, then send it with them to be put in their enclosure.  Keep in mind dogs have no concept of time so it doesn't matter if you're gone a week or a couple of hours.  They'll be glad to see you but will adjust just fine.  Don't worry about them.  Have they had the bordetella vacine?

Yes they have all shots & vacines.

Trusted Contributor

@Lovemyboots, you definitely have done a great job checking out places for your dogs.  I think that the idea of going for a free day of daycare is a good idea.  They can get used to the people, the place, and being around other dogs.  Yes, it will be different for them, but they will be with what sounds like people who love dogs and take good care of them while their owners are away! Definitely leave several items with your scent on it.

Your dogs will get love, exercise and some new scents and surroundings.  They will be fine and might actually enjoy the place.  I'm sure that you will be able to call and check on them.  Don't worry!

Honored Contributor

@Lovemyboots

Of course you will worry, and of course you'll miss them.  But, sounds like you need a vacation too.

This is what I do:

First - check with local SPCA, or shelter, and MY vet to see what they will know.  SPCA might not be forthcoming, VET should tell you everything s/he knows.

Make sure all their vaccines are up to date - don't forget Bordetella

Call all animal friends and get any personal recommendations

Take each one a (marked with magic marker) towel from home for good smells

Take their food - feels like home and no tummy upsets

Ask a good friend to check in on them mid-stay (let kennel know they are coming - name and OK to visit - in writing.)

See if the smaller or most bonded 2 can share the same space.

As a follow up - check how they act and look when you pick them up.  Of course they will be jumping for joy, but look for any new shyness, heads hanging down, are they clean, do they have 'critters' on them.  If they do - NEVER use that place again, give your VET & all friends about them.  

Conversely, if everything is wonderful you might want to tell your VET about them. 

Make your own decision, don't let anyone else guilt you into not going.

Take photos of them with you.

Have a great vacation!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@susan kay wrote:

@Lovemyboots, you definitely have done a great job checking out places for your dogs.  I think that the idea of going for a free day of daycare is a good idea.  They can get used to the people, the place, and being around other dogs.  Yes, it will be different for them, but they will be with what sounds like people who love dogs and take good care of them while their owners are away! Definitely leave several items with your scent on it.

Your dogs will get love, exercise and some new scents and surroundings.  They will be fine and might actually enjoy the place.  I'm sure that you will be able to call and check on them.  Don't worry!

Thank you!

Valued Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Lovemyboots

Of course you will worry, and of course you'll miss them.  But, sounds like you need a vacation too.

This is what I do:

First - check with local SPCA, or shelter, and MY vet to see what they will know.  SPCA might not be forthcoming, VET should tell you everything s/he knows.

Make sure all their vaccines are up to date - don't forget Bordetella

Call all animal friends and get any personal recommendations

Take each one a (marked with magic marker) towel from home for good smells

Take their food - feels like home and no tummy upsets

Ask a good friend to check in on them mid-stay (let kennel know they are coming - name and OK to visit - in writing.)

See if the smaller or most bonded 2 can share the same space.

As a follow up - check how they act and look when you pick them up.  Of course they will be jumping for joy, but look for any new shyness, heads hanging down, are they clean, do they have 'critters' on them.  If they do - NEVER use that place again, give your VET & all friends about them.  

Conversely, if everything is wonderful you might want to tell your VET about them. 

Make your own decision, don't let anyone else guilt you into not going.

Take photos of them with you.

Have a great vacation!

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lovemyboots  Try not to stress.  I understand your concerns, but you can and should be able to go away for a few days here and there or take a legitimate vacation if you want to.  Believe me, I'm nuts about my dog, but my DH and I are at a stage in life where we have the freedom and ability to participate in some activities and go on little trips here and there that we couldn't do when our children were younger and at home.  On these occasions, we board our dog and don't feel guilty about it.  We provide his food, so there aren't any tummy upsets, along with a few toys and a special mat for him.  The people at the kennel love him and he gets lavished with attention when he's there.  The owners insist that everyone be up to date on their shots and they maintain a very clean facility. Unless they are from the same family, each dog has their own run with outdoor access.  Employees take the dogs out individually throughout the day for playtime and walks.

If you can do a trial daycare visit before your actual trip, it may easy your nerves to know they'll be OK.  If you can't, rest assured that yours probably aren't the first smaller dogs that have been there.  Provided this is a reputable kennel, your dogs will get loved on in your absence and not be confined to a tiny space and forgotten about.   
If your town/area has a Facebook page, you could post a question there to see if others in your area have any experience with this particular kennel or if they can make other recommendations.

Try to relax, your dogs will be fine.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lovemyboots

l

we board our dog without any problem whatsoever.

what i did was have a trial run first.  i took her in beforehand and left her overnight.  the point was i wanted her to know that even though we were leaving that we would be back.

i was afraid that she would think we had abandoned her.  we then were able to go away and she was very adjusted.

it's amazing but they will adapt to the routine in the kennel very quickly.  also, almost all boarding kennel employees treat the animals very well. 

as long as you feel comfortable with this kennel, then you should feel confident in leaving them.

good luck!

Valued Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Lovemyboots  Try not to stress.  I understand your concerns, but you can and should be able to go away for a few days here and there or take a legitimate vacation if you want to.  Believe me, I'm nuts about my dog, but my DH and I are at a stage in life where we have the freedom and ability to participate in some activities and go on little trips here and there that we couldn't do when our children were younger and at home.  On these occasions we board our dog and don't feel guilty about it.  We provide his food, so there arent any tummy upsets, along with a few toys and a special mat for him.  The people at the kennel love him and he gets lavished with attention when he's there.  The owners insist that everyone be up to date on their shots and they maintain a very clean facility. Unless they are from the same family, each dog has their own run with outdoor access.  Employees take the dogs out individually throughout the day for playtime and walks.

If you can do a trial daycare visit before your actual trip, it may easy your nerves to know they'll be OK.  If you can't, rest assured that yours probably aren't the first smaller dogs that have been there.  Provided this is a reputable kennel, your dogs will get loved on in your absence and not be confined to a tiny space and forgotten about.   
If you're town/area has a Facebook page, you could post a question there to see if others in your area have any experience with this particular kennel or if they can make other recommendations.

Try to relax, your dogs will be fine.

I am trying hard to not stress over this!  I have tried very hard to check out every aspect of the kennels. This one came out on top everytime. They have a FB page & people come on & coment about how much they like them. This will probably be the last long vacation we will take. My DH's health is going down. I know we really need this. Last 2 yrs have been especially hard for both of us. It has helped to read the coments, suggestions, & advise. Thank you

Valued Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@Lovemyboots

l

we board our dog without any problem whatsoever.

what i did was have a trial run first.  i took her in beforehand and left her overnight.  the point was i wanted her to know that even though we were leaving that we would be back.

i was afraid that she would think we had abandoned her.  we then were able to go away and she was very adjusted.

it's amazing but they will adapt to the routine in the kennel very quickly.  also, almost all boarding kennel employees treat the animals very well. 

as long as you feel comfortable with this kennel, then you should feel confident in leaving them.

good luck!

Yes we have decided to do the trial night. I am hoping it will help them to understand we are coming back.  We have been by 2 times already just to look the kennel over & talk to the ladies. I did notice they both seemed to recognize the kennel the 2 nd titme we were there. Maybe with one day of daycare & one trial overnight stay, they will adjust 2. Thanks for your encouraging words!