Honored Contributor

Re: Boarding Dogs need advice please!

@Lovemyboots  I understand your anxiety.   I recently had to board my 2 old black labs due to a family emergency.   They stayed with their vet, who they've known all their lives.  It about killed me to do it but I had no alternative.    The vet has employed the same techs forever, it's a family business, almost no turnover!   You just have to trust.   Relax & enjoy your vacation.

As a side note, people's love of their pets is what fuels the RV industry.   Most people buy travel trailers or RVs so they can travel with their pets.    I totally understand the concept.   If I were retired & planned on traveling, I would do the same.

Respected Contributor

I've taken my dog to a place named Camp Bow Wow.  You might have one in your area.  The dogs are allowed to roam and socialize for a few hours during the day.  The big dogs on one side and the little dogs are in a separate area.  The have a doggie door if they want to go outside in the enclosed area.  They are put back in their run twice a day for feeding and cleaning up.  The dogs are "interviewed" before they are boarded to see if they "play well with others".  I take my dogs bedding, food and toys.  It's a big area so that the dogs don't feel confined.  My dog didn't mind going at all and seemed to enjoy herself.

I don't want a stranger staying in my house at night, even if they are bonded.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@software wrote:

Really?   The poster is stressed enough.   

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I have heard some horror stories about boarding - please find a family member or friend to come sit with your dogs or find a pet sitter who will stay with your animals - I think it is cruel to board dogs. 

@software  If she didn't really want truthful opinions, she shouldn't have asked. 

@Lovemyboots

I agree with everyone that said they would never leave their dogs.  We have always taken ours with us and always will.  I would NEVER board.  First, they have to have ALL their shots and that is something I will never do to my pets.  Also, no one can take care of them the way I want them taken care of. 

That being said, why can't you take the dogs with you... find a place to rent that would allow dogs that is near to your relatives?  I think it we be better having your own space, you can come and go as you want, and you can be with your dogs.  Hey, taking on dogs is sometimes a sacrifice of freedom.  I have never felt that way, but it is restrictive.  It was the choice we made. 

I really hope you can work out a solution that will relieve your guilt and make your dogs happy.  Whatever you do, don't leave them with a family that has small children.  I wouldn't want mine to be mauled/picked up/carried around by kids and I am sure your dogs wouldn't like it either.  That is me. 

You say you are looking at them sitting around at home content and you feel guilty already.  That is where they feel secure now.  I have to wonder if you would really have a good time if you left them.

The only solution I can come up with is take them with you or don't go.  Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you asked for opinions.  These are mine.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like you found a great place for them to stay.  They will adjust, hlmake some new friends and they will have each other.  If you would be more comfortable, give it a trial run for a night or two.  Enjoy your vacation and know that they will be glad to see you when you return.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

@software wrote:

@Lovemyboots  I understand your anxiety.   I recently had to board my 2 old black labs due to a family emergency.   They stayed with their vet, who they've known all their lives.  It about killed me to do it but I had no alternative.    The vet has employed the same techs forever, it's a family business, almost no turnover!   You just have to trust.   Relax & enjoy your vacation.

As a side note, people's love of their pets is what fuels the RV industry.   Most people buy travel trailers or RVs so they can travel with their pets.    I totally understand the concept.   If I were retired & planned on traveling, I would do the same.

We looked into renting an RV & wanted to take them with us. The RV's are too expensive for us to buy, even used & around here outrageous to rent. And most won't allow dogs. We had wanted all along to take them with us. And since planning the trip we have had some bad news from a family member we are visiting.  She has found out she has terminal cancer. We want to spend as much time as we can with her. It will be a long drive too. I have to agree with my husband now that it might be better to board them. 

Valued Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I've taken my dog to a place named Camp Bow Wow.  You might have one in your area.  The dogs are allowed to roam and socialize for a few hours during the day.  The big dogs on one side and the little dogs are in a separate area.  The have a doggie door if they want to go outside in the enclosed area.  They are put back in their run twice a day for feeding and cleaning up.  The dogs are "interviewed" before they are boarded to see if they "play well with others".  I take my dogs bedding, food and toys.  It's a big area so that the dogs don't feel confined.  My dog didn't mind going at all and seemed to enjoy herself.

I don't want a stranger staying in my house at night, even if they are bonded.

The one we picked sounds a lot like what you are talking about but it isn't a Camp Bow Wow. We don't have one of those close. I agree with you about house sitters. I just felt strange thinking of someone I don't know being in my house. I actually had a co worker told me once that a friend of hers did that & she asked her how she liked it & the girl told her she loved it & it she got to look thru their stuff!  I thought oh my gosh what a horrible thing to say!!! Or worse do!  I really hope the girl was kidding!

Valued Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@software wrote:

Really?   The poster is stressed enough.   

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I have heard some horror stories about boarding - please find a family member or friend to come sit with your dogs or find a pet sitter who will stay with your animals - I think it is cruel to board dogs. 

@software  If she didn't really want truthful opinions, she shouldn't have asked. 

@Lovemyboots

I agree with everyone that said they would never leave their dogs.  We have always taken ours with us and always will.  I would NEVER board.  First, they have to have ALL the shots and that is something I will never do to my pets.  Also, no one can take care of them the way I want the taken care of. 

That being said, why can't you take the dogs with you, find a place to rent that would allow dogs that is near to your relatives.  I think it we be better having your own space, you can come and go as you want, and you can be with your dogs.  Hey, taking on dogs is sometimes a sacrifice of freedom.  I have never felt that way, but it is restrictive.  It was the choice we made. 

I really hope you can work out a solution that will relieve your guilt and make your dogs happy.  What ever you do, don't leave them with a family that has small children.  I wouldn't want mine to be mauled/picked up/carried around by kids and I am sure your dogs wouldn't like it either.  That is me. 

You say you are looking at them sitting around at home content and you feel guilty already.  That is where they feel secure now.  I have to wonder if you would really have a good time if you left them.

The only solution I can come up with is take them with you or don't go.  Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you asked for opinions.  These are mine.

I understand where you are coming from and  I appreciate your honest opinion. I would actually love to stay home & not go. But I really can't.  I have been beating myself up over this.  This has been a very hard decision to make. Now just trying to find the best I can for them. I wish I had family or close friends to come to my house. Everyone has jobs & familys to take care of.

Honored Contributor

Hubby and I do not go on trips. I would never board my dog. If I could not take her, I would stay home. I am silly that way. 

Honored Contributor

Request that your dog's be placed in the same pen.  Get an old towel or blanket and sleep with it several days so it has your scent on it, then send it with them to be put in their enclosure.  Keep in mind dogs have no concept of time so it doesn't matter if you're gone a week or a couple of hours.  They'll be glad to see you but will adjust just fine.  Don't worry about them.  Have they had the bordetella vacine?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I totally understand your concern and have a similar situation.  I thought about this for months...won't tell you my horror story of boarding at my previous vet's.  I have approached a co worker who feels the same way I do about dogs and asked her if she would mind babysitting my precious pup while on vacation.  She wanted to have my pup meet her pup at a doggie park to be sure they will mix well (which I loved)   It just feels really good and safe and I won't worry.  I'm paying her even though she said "no".  I think this is the best solution, as we haven't had a vacation in years due to the dog issue.  I would rather take our dog or not go at all than board or have a pet sitter.

It is important that you feel confident and know that you precious dog is in competent hands...best wishes for a successful resolution.